No image on rift just the backlight. LCD might be defective? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No image on rift just the backlight. LCD might be defective?

FienoFieno Posts: 14
NerveGear
edited May 2013 in Support
Hello all,

I just received my Oculus Rift and after trying the following I am only seeing an all white image on the Oculus screen at all times:

Update: the screen seems to turn off after 10 seconds now as well.

- multiple cables (DVI and HDMI )
- tried different USB ports on the motherboard
- power cycling the unit
- un plugging all other of my displays
- have tried it on another system

I hope I have missed something simple here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Daniel :cry:

Comments

• KuraIthysKuraIthys Posts: 259
    Brain Burst
    Under what circumstances do you get a white image?

All the time? - Running specific programs?

If you set the rift up as if it were a normal windows display, does it still look white? Does the image look anything at all like your desktop? (It would be heavily distorted of course, because of the optics).

Have you tried adjusting the controls on the control box? It has both contrast and brightness controls for the display...

I don't know if any of that helps, but it would be useful to be able to narrow down the problem a little bit...
  • FienoFieno Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    The image is white at all times. I have never seen anything else including the windows desktop.

Contrast / Brightness appears to have no effect.

I thought receiving this unit was going to be my light at the end of a week long horrible tunnel (someone ran into me Monday morning and totaled my car)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Few questions:

- If you press the brightness/contrast buttons do you see the OSD come up on the Rift (should look like a blue box with text in it).
    - Does the Rift show up in Windows/Nvidia/AMD control panel? For example, if you right-click the desktop and choose "Screen resolution", do you see the "Rift DK" listed there? What about with Nvidia or AMD?
    - Can you list your PC specs, GPU type, OS version?
    - Can you test your Rift on another computer and see if the same problem happens?

Let me know, thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Hey Cyber,

- OSD does not appear
    - RIFT DK is listed and is detected
    - Windows 8 64-bit / Radeon HD 7970

Tried on my laptop as well same issue.

I was going to Demo this at work tomorrow to some of the GPU execs too (AMD Markham) :(

Cheers,

Daniel
    This sounds like a defective screen. Please continue to talk to our support team and we will help you out.

Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Did I mention you guys provide excellent support? Because you really do.

Cheers

Daniel
    Awesome! Glad to help.