New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hand Tracking. No more controllers for Medium

ParhelionParhelion Posts: 37
Brain Burst
With the debut of Hand Tracking on the Quest, is hand tracking going to be available for Medium soon?

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,009 Volunteer Moderator
    Medium isn't on the Quest and Oculus have said there's no plans for Rift-S hand tracking yet.

• hughJhughJ Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    With Medium no longer being owned by Oculus/Facebook, I can't imagine that integrating experimental Oculus-only hardware features are a priority for their small team anymore.  Even if that were the case, I don't think hand tracking would be a useful fit for Medium -- in pretty much every capacity it would end up being slower, less predictable, and less useful than using a controller because you don't have deliberate input registration of buttons and triggers being pushed.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,475 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, I think medium needs the controller tracking accuracy, analogue triggers giving strength of application would also be a problem to replace. Maybe with haptic feedback, it would be good but that's some way off right now.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)