New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Link crash (?) after seconds of guardian (?)

guenter.huber22guenter.huber22 Posts: 12
NerveGear
As of 12/14 I updated to the latest: The Quest to 12, installed the PC sw and drivers on an Intel NUC w/ i7 6th gen w/ external GTX 1070ti via Thunderbolt.
With a 1m USB-A to USB-C cable the PC sw recognizes the Quest. (with a different one it does not)

There seem to be two approaches to start Link:
1) I have not yet found out what (and when) the modal Link dialog is triggered on the Quest, but when I start Link, after a few seconds of dark with hash-marks I land in the normal Quest environment.

2) If I trigger Link from Settings > Devices the effect is the same.

Questions popping up:
Could the Link failure be related to my external-GPU-setup?
When and how is the modal Link dialog triggered on the Quest?
Why is the Link button located in Devices and not in Experimental? (BTW: The new hand tracking works very nicely for a first beta!)

Thanks for any insights to make Link work!
G.

Comments

• Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    What is your current software build ? 1.43 ? Quest v12 can only work with new Oculus v12. No sound here, but display is ok.
    Oculus Quest - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i7 8700 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - Crucial MX300 500Go + 1To - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • guenter.huber22guenter.huber22 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Trying to find the version on the PC I came across a "Health & Security" warning setting.
    Turning it off and trying to skip the video trashed the Client. The app keeps coming up with the frozen help video.
    Support in https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/82388/rift-desktop-app-freezes-at-health-and-safety-video has no better answer than MANUALLY uninstalling in EVERY NICHE in a DOZEN steps. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Interestingly with the UI hanging, the situation with the Quest is exactly the same and even the late start of the external GPU does not seem to get in the way.
    The autostart of the Oculus VR Runtime service (before the GPU) seems to start just some watchdog.
    When I start the OculusClient it shows in the GPU-Activity together with the OculusServer (service).

When I plug the Quest, OculusDash shows in GPU-Activity too and the Quest shows the modular Link dialog.

Doesn´t "Dash" imply some sort of UI? Can´t see anything on the PC.

Thanks for any insight!
    G.
    PS: Any quick fix for the Client hang w/o a dozen steps?
    NerveGear
    OK, I DID IT!
    I went through the chore and un/reinstalled (deleting the content in userName\AppData Local, LocalLow and Roaming and the library folders, but not the other superfluous suggestions).

There were app and driver updates in the first try, but this time I had discovered the Settings > Beta-Version > Public Test Channel item before the app froze on me. (avoiding General > Security)

Now there were two updates (ten and one items) both named test 1 that restarted the app. Drivers seem to have been kept through uninstall as expected.

The modal Link dialog now works as expected and

once it works it´s GORGOEUS.

I even found the version, quite well hidden at the bottom of Settings > General. (12.0.0.191.268)
    Having fun
    G.
    NerveGear
    Trying to find the version on the PC I came across a "Health & Security" warning setting.
    Turning it off and trying to skip the video trashed the Client. The app keeps coming up with the frozen help video.
    Support in https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/82388/rift-desktop-app-freezes-at-health-and-safety-video has no better answer than MANUALLY uninstalling in EVERY NICHE in a DOZEN steps. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Interestingly with the UI hanging, the situation with the Quest is exactly the same and even the late start of the external GPU does not seem to get in the way.
    The autostart of the Oculus VR Runtime service (before the GPU) seems to start just some watchdog.
    When I start the OculusClient it shows in the GPU-Activity together with the OculusServer (service).

When I plug the Quest, OculusDash shows in GPU-Activity too and the Quest shows the modular Link dialog.

Doesn´t "Dash" imply some sort of UI? Can´t see anything on the PC.

Thanks for any insight!
    G.
    PS: Any quick fix for the Client hang w/o a dozen steps?