cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rift Maintenance Thread

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe it could be great with a thread about taking proper care of the Rift (and Quest - or whatever hmd you use).

I'd be happy to start with one subject. Especially the Rift CV1 is known for the straps becoming white after some years - it looks like this (note this is not my CV1, I found this photo on the web):

ydz8y3tk0brt.jpg

That does look bad - can't have guests over and then hand them a hmd that looks like something the cat dragged home from the sewer, lol - and my CV1 was starting to look much the same. But I just found a great solution (I think) - now my CV1 looks mint again (or close)  😄

ynsketre55qe.jpg

Also, I still use this solution for storing both Index and CV1 - basically means no dust at all and CV1 looks like new with very little dust accumulated:

ahl73l2hprlb.jpg

Had some large transparent bags for CGC mags, but they work for HMDs too 😉 Index is in the front, CV1 in the back. The bags aren't completely sealed to allow some ventilation and avoid any build-up of humidity and moisture.  

If you have some tricks or ideas for taking great care of your hmd, do post them here!

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

17 REPLIES 17

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
A few days ago I saw some inflated prices for Rift CV1 sensors and Touch. But even if you cannot buy a new Rift CV1 or the cable anymore, there're are still many accessories in the Store - like brand new Touch or sensors:

https://www.oculus.com/rift/accessories/

Personally I just bought a new Oculus Rift Fit Facial Interface - maybe €39 isn't exactly cheap, but shipping is included and my current one is more than 2 years old, I hope to get some of that fresh CV1 smell back too!  😄 

ncfnm4pf02v8.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got a silicone face cover from Amazon UK for 14 quid because my sponge on my Rift S was starting to look a bit gross, haven't even had it for a year!!!  :open_mouth:

It's WAY overpriced imo, half the price would be about right I think, but it's very easy to put on and take off and can be cleaned with antibacterial wipes (not that I've bothered, I might get some for when I go to Kent next week and bring my PC and Rift S up with me so that some of my Mum's friends can try it out, and so that I can work on my game whilst I'm down there).

You can get one from here, but please note you WILL get Rift (S) Face wearing this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07ZCV9G5T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
lc8fbv7urcjh.jpg

Don't you just hate/dislike

2t8ycidf9trk.jpg

all the stupid/annoying 

ehz0lcgdavx3.jpg

unboxing YouTube videos

gvannex6w86n.jpg

where some dude opens a box

gscwd14fv5me.jpg

filled with utterly boring stuff

dx4rz4wproz1.jpg

that no-one really cares about?

tm8wjo41fc1q.jpg

But of course this post is different! Feels like getting NEW CLEAN UNDERWEAR after more than 2 years😮 Now I'm ready for NEW CV1 ADVENTURES!  o:)

Image result for captain underpants

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ugh...
CV1 is so, well, yesteryear!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

Ugh...
CV1 is so, well, yesteryear!

I often think about cornflakes when using the CV1  B)

balyz4y6axl6.jpg

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
My CV1 has been kicking it out the park recenlty with Boneworks and Borderlands 2 VR just because of the controllers...so i am glad stuck a pair of lens protectors on it from day one to keep them in perfect condition, and it was just last month all packed up ready to go into the nearest trade in shop, weird how a few games can change all that. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

OmegaM4N said:

My CV1 has been kicking it out the park recenlty with Boneworks and Borderlands 2 VR just because of the controllers...so i am glad stuck a pair of lens protectors on it from day one to keep them in perfect condition, and it was just last month all packed up ready to go into the nearest trade in shop, weird how a few games can change all that. lol

After testing many games and apps it's my impression that the CV1 offers like 50 - 100% (=1.5 to 2x) better performance than the Index due to ASW 2.0 and it's lower res, maybe even like 150% (2.5x) in some cases. Even CV1 ss 2.0 (10.4 mill pixels per image) usually works better than Index res 100% due to ASW 2.0. (That said I also got several games performing in solid 90 fps using Index res 200% (17 mill pixels per image), like Lucky's Tale, Pistol Whip, Space Pirate Trainer, Synth Riders, Beat Saber - the more simple games, but also Boneworks.) 

I would be able to play, but I would not really be able to enjoy, Asgard's Wrath nor Stormland if I only used Index and not the CV1. And then CV1 works perfectly with temporal antialiasing  (TAA), while TAA greatly reduces image quality and clarity using lcd hmds. I tried Stormland Index 100% SMAA and it just did not look right - jaggies were still present - not so using CV1 ss 2.0 TAA, image was simply perfect, even the most distant mountains/cliffs, buildings and structures.   

Therefore keeping my CV1 fit for the next year or two has high priority to me - could go for Quest Link, but the CV1's sound, weight and tracking - and the nostalgia - won me over. Also Tested noticed image compression and artifacts in Alyx using Quest Link, I have the feeling I'd do that too - and 36 fps asw isn't something I think I'd appreciate in Stormland...

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^Yeah, i tried the Quest for 2 days but it was just too heavy for me personally to get any comfort from it, and moreso with the fact that going from the CV1 to the Quest was like balancing a feather on your nose to balancing a house brick on your nose, one that after 20 mins starts to grind away the skin on the bridge of your nose. lol

So it seems my CV1 has recieved a last hour reprieve due to BW and BL2 VR and due to the CV1 awesome controllers that just shine in these two games, plus i just grabbed a new Cv1 cable from ebay for £37, so i can at least not worry about the cable replacement....and life was good again. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My poor CV1 sitting here in it's box all lonely and such. Have not used it since getting my Rift S in May when it was released.
Guess I should sell the CV1 really, but just can't bring myself to do so. Guess I will just hold onto it for nostalgia purposes. I even bought an extra cable for it as a just in case, which I never had to use either.