New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Link Resolution with v12

Comments

• AvirobloxAviroblox Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Aviroblox said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Aviroblox said:
    I'm running 1.2 at 2912 encode resolution with low distortion curvature on a 1080 Ti, and there is very noticeable visual compression artifacts and what appears to be color banding in oculus home and stormland. Is anyone else encountering this issue?

Exactly the same here with a 10ft Partylink cable. What is your link configuration ? Cable ? USB controller ?
    I was using a usb 3.0 motherboard port on a Gigabyte z170xp-sli mobo with a cable creations 5m active extender and a 6ft usb 3.0 ivoler cable. Now I'm using a usb c 3.1 gen 1 port on the same mobo with the official 5m oculus link cable and the compression artifacts are still there, which is to be expected because they are digital cables the only difference would be reliability not quality.

if these 2 ports are driven by the same USB chip, it may result in the same way. i'm thinking about buying a PCI-E card...
    I tried unplugging all usb devices from my computer except the Oculus link cable in my usb C usb 3.1 gen 1 port in my motherboard, but that didn't change anything at all. I could try getting a pci-e card and testing if that made a difference; however, these are digital cables and the compression is handled by your computer so I don't think any of this should make any difference in visual quality, maybe it could resolve potential connection issues, but not visual quality. It appears that upping the resolution from default to 1.2 pixel per display pixel, 2912 encode resolution, and low curvature results in maybe a decrease in color bit-depth or a general increase in the compression used on each frame because there is noticeable higher color banding on shallow gradients such as the sky/clouds/water (reflections off) in Stormland or on the black tile floor in my particular darker, cyberpunk themed Oculus home setup. I've seen this in some monitors where increasing the resolution and refresh rate switched the colors from 10-bit to 8-bit, so it wouldn't be too surprising if the same is done here to maintain performance and low latency at higher resolutions through Oculus link.

Also there are other people who have said that with the same 1080 Ti GPU they haven't encountered any noticeable compression or color banding, and I think this might be down to the applications used and their settings. In high contrast games such as Asgard's Wrath or games without too much detail like Pavlov the compression and color-banding is largely un-noticeable save for a handful of darker/grey scenes; however, in games such as Stormland with a great deal of low contrast areas such as the clouds and flat water (again reflections off) and high detail frequency rainy scenarios the extra compression or color banding is very noticeable. This also changes with settings because I have found that turning on anti-aliasing, specifically TAA in Stormlands, makes the extra compression and color banding almost un-noticeable in most dark areas, with color banding in shallow gradients reduced but somewhat noticeable.
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    Aviroblox said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Aviroblox said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Aviroblox said:
    I'm running 1.2 at 2912 encode resolution with low distortion curvature on a 1080 Ti, and there is very noticeable visual compression artifacts and what appears to be color banding in oculus home and stormland. Is anyone else encountering this issue?

Exactly the same here with a 10ft Partylink cable. What is your link configuration ? Cable ? USB controller ?
    I was using a usb 3.0 motherboard port on a Gigabyte z170xp-sli mobo with a cable creations 5m active extender and a 6ft usb 3.0 ivoler cable. Now I'm using a usb c 3.1 gen 1 port on the same mobo with the official 5m oculus link cable and the compression artifacts are still there, which is to be expected because they are digital cables the only difference would be reliability not quality.

if these 2 ports are driven by the same USB chip, it may result in the same way. i'm thinking about buying a PCI-E card...
    I tried unplugging all usb devices from my computer except the Oculus link cable in my usb C usb 3.1 gen 1 port in my motherboard, but that didn't change anything at all. I could try getting a pci-e card and testing if that made a difference; however, these are digital cables and the compression is handled by your computer so I don't think any of this should make any difference in visual quality, maybe it could resolve potential connection issues, but not visual quality. It appears that upping the resolution from default to 1.2 pixel per display pixel, 2912 encode resolution, and low curvature results in maybe a decrease in color bit-depth or a general increase in the compression used on each frame because there is noticeable higher color banding on shallow gradients such as the sky/clouds/water (reflections off) in Stormland or on the black tile floor in my particular darker, cyberpunk themed Oculus home setup. I've seen this in some monitors where increasing the resolution and refresh rate switched the colors from 10-bit to 8-bit, so it wouldn't be too surprising if the same is done here to maintain performance and low latency at higher resolutions through Oculus link.

Also there are other people who have said that with the same 1080 Ti GPU they haven't encountered any noticeable compression or color banding, and I think this might be down to the applications used and their settings. In high contrast games such as Asgard's Wrath or games without too much detail like Pavlov the compression and color-banding is largely un-noticeable save for a handful of darker/grey scenes; however, in games such as Stormland with a great deal of low contrast areas such as the clouds and flat water (again reflections off) and high detail frequency rainy scenarios the extra compression or color banding is very noticeable. This also changes with settings because I have found that turning on anti-aliasing, specifically TAA in Stormlands, makes the extra compression and color banding almost un-noticeable in most dark areas, with color banding in shallow gradients reduced but somewhat noticeable.

I will change my mb next week. This one will have an USB-C 3.1 gen 2 port. I will tell you if it helps. John Carmack said Oculus is working on an update to reduce compression thanks to gen 2 ports increased bandwith... I'm ready ;-)
    Oculus Quest - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i7 8700 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - Crucial MX300 500Go + 1To - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Aviroblox said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Aviroblox said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Aviroblox said:

I will change my mb next week. This one will have an USB-C 3.1 gen 2 port. I will tell you if it helps. John Carmack said Oculus is working on an update to reduce compression thanks to gen 2 ports increased bandwith... I'm ready ;-)

I've tested the PartyLink on a MSI MPG z390 Gaming Edge with USB 3.1 gen 2.0 and I can clearly see the same compression artifacts... I'm waiting for the official oculus cable. Maybe other users are fine with the video quality or can't see these artifacts, i don't know...
    Oculus Quest - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i7 8700 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - Crucial MX300 500Go + 1To - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • Sofian75Sofian75 Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yobiwan29 said:
    John Carmack said Oculus is working on an update to reduce compression thanks to gen 2 ports increased bandwith...
    Source?
  • 808Exile808Exile Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    Hello Yobiwan29,

I see from your post that your using USB 3.1 Gen 2 with your Quest. I have a Gigabyte MB that has the same, (Type-C and Type-A ports) but uses the ASMedia chipset controllers. Unfortunately, the ASMedia controllers don't work with Oculus Link at this time, according to a chat session with Oculus support yesterday.  Since I don't want to use an adapter, (potential point of failure) with my Oculus cable I'm going to buy a standalone USB 3.1 Gen 2 card with Type-C. The point of this long ramble, (sorry) is could you tell me what chipset your MB uses for your USB 3.1 Gen 2 as all the standalone cards I'm seeing use the ASMedia chipset?

Thanks

Gordon
    Hiro Protagonist
    808Exile said:
    Hello Yobiwan29,

I see from your post that your using USB 3.1 Gen 2 with your Quest. I have a Gigabyte MB that has the same, (Type-C and Type-A ports) but uses the ASMedia chipset controllers. Unfortunately, the ASMedia controllers don't work with Oculus Link at this time, according to a chat session with Oculus support yesterday.  Since I don't want to use an adapter, (potential point of failure) with my Oculus cable I'm going to buy a standalone USB 3.1 Gen 2 card with Type-C. The point of this long ramble, (sorry) is could you tell me what chipset your MB uses for your USB 3.1 Gen 2 as all the standalone cards I'm seeing use the ASMedia chipset?

Thanks

Gordon

I'd like to give you an answer but I don't know how to check the chipset model. In device manager I can see Fresco Logic USB 3.0 eXtensible and Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sofian75 said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    John Carmack said Oculus is working on an update to reduce compression thanks to gen 2 ports increased bandwith...
    Source?
    https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/1198350474526760961

Brain Burst
    edited January 7
    Yobiwan29,

This is how I am able to see it Device Manager-->Universal Serial Bus Controllers-->then on mine it shows ASMedia USB 3.1. You can also right click and check the properties and it should show you who makes the chipset.

Thanks

Gordon

Hiro Protagonist
    808Exile said:
    Yobiwan29,

This is how I am able to see it Device Manager-->Universal Serial Bus Controllers-->then on mine it shows ASMedia USB 3.1. You can also right click and check the properties and it should show you who makes the chipset.

Thanks

Gordon

Brain Burst
    Hey Yobiwan29,

Thanks a bunch. It looks like your chipset is Intel because of your motherboard chipset. I don't think Intel makes a standalone USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, but it gives me a starting point in my search.

Thanks

Gordon 
  • Nago01Nago01 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I don’t know my password for my account
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Sofian75 said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Source?

Sorry but I don't see anything about gen 2.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sofian75 said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Sofian75 said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Source?

Sorry but I don't see anything about gen 2.

That's right, I have mistaken. The Link doesn't take advantage of the USB 3.1 gen1 full speed now, but they are working on it. There is no gen 2 compatibility on the Quest.
  • frederic68frederic68 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thank you for the detail 
    I'm using Oculus Link is very incredible :-)
    I have two identical graphics cards GTX 1660 6GB but ( no SLI one display on GTU1) in my Pc. 
    I notice that the GPU2 is at 0% of use. 
    Is it possible to put oculus link on the GPU2 and leave the games on the GPU1?
    Can you help me ?
    Thanks 
  • alenknightalenknight Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    i'm not able to see anything when I use the Debug tool.... changes don't take effect, and the performance overlay doesn't show anything.  i'm on Debug tool v 1.44 latest build and Oculus is 12.0 latest build.  I tried on  2 pc's... one with rtx 2080 and one with GTX 1660... neither works.... Performance overlay doesn't come up when i'm using the Debug (even I set it to show Performance Summary)
    i've also ran as Admin... no effect.  

anyone else encountering?
    Hiro Protagonist
    i'm not able to see anything when I use the Debug tool.... changes don't take effect, and the performance overlay doesn't show anything.  i'm on Debug tool v 1.44 latest build and Oculus is 12.0 latest build.  I tried on  2 pc's... one with rtx 2080 and one with GTX 1660... neither works.... Performance overlay doesn't come up when i'm using the Debug (even I set it to show Performance Summary)
    i've also ran as Admin... no effect.  

anyone else encountering?

Did you restart oculus service after applying new encode resolution width ? And reset ss after that ?
  • KoshIrelandKoshIreland Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    It seems AMD GPUs struggle badly with decent encode resolutions. On the default (1800?) Link is basically unusable on my overclocked Radeon Pro 575 despite games running at 72fps, because Link is only showing maybe 10fps. When I drop the encode resolution to 1400, the problem disappears and steaming over Link is solid. I’ve read the Pro 580 suffers similar problems. 

Is there any hope of this improving over the beta, or are AMD 5xx GPUs just fundamentally limited in their ability to compress a higher resolution video stream at 72fps?
  • KhalsaBladeKhalsaBlade Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    808Exile said:
    Hello Yobiwan29,

Thanks

Gordon
    I have ASMedia controllers, and PC Link works perfectly for me.  USB 3.1 Gen 2 btw.
  • tateconceptstateconcepts Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    @KoshIreland I'm not sure what the AMD settings are. I have a Hades Canyon NUC with the 8th Gen Core i7 and Vega GPU. I know I was able to run the original Rift without issue and almost all games will run well on this unit. I'm more interested in how games like VDesktop and Fallout4 VR are from Steam. 

Have you seen anyone post any settings on the use of Link and AMD GPU?
  • KoshIrelandKoshIreland Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    @KoshIreland I'm not sure what the AMD settings are. I have a Hades Canyon NUC with the 8th Gen Core i7 and Vega GPU. I know I was able to run the original Rift without issue and almost all games will run well on this unit. I'm more interested in how games like VDesktop and Fallout4 VR are from Steam. 

Have you seen anyone post any settings on the use of Link and AMD GPU?
    Just one post that suggested turning down the encode resolution to 1400 for AMD 5xx GPUs. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've just tested the official cable with my new motherboard and same observation : debug tool tweaks bring very obvious video compression. I can't believe no one else notice these artifacts. I won't be able to play my steamVR games under these conditions. Blur or compression, impossible choice ! Waiting for the Valve Index...
  • TimTVYTTimTVYT Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Whats the best settings for an RTX 2060?
  • slogen86slogen86 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    TimTVYT said:
    Whats the best settings for an RTX 2060?
    Hi, I would say: GTX1070+ Settings!
  • Wilson2bWilson2b Posts: 17
    Brain Burst
    I see settings for RTX 2070, what about RTX 2080 OC Super?  Can someone post recommended specific to that Nvidia GPU? Thanks
  • h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    edited January 24
    Yobiwan29 said:
    I've just tested the official cable with my new motherboard and same observation : debug tool tweaks bring very obvious video compression. I can't believe no one else notice these artifacts. I won't be able to play my steamVR games under these conditions. Blur or compression, impossible choice ! Waiting for the Valve Index...
    I notice it very obviously. Bought The Walking Dead Oculus Rift version yesterday and I have block artifacts like hell on greyish scenes. This looks like a "fixed" overlay all over the picture. You can compare it with streamed videos in dark scenes. I checked different USB 3 ports, have the original Link cable and my machine got a new Geforce 2060RTX super in it. Asgard's Wrath looks much better, but it is more colorfull than TWD. This is a selfmade picture to visualize what I mean:  

German Oculus Quest / Go / Link Facebook Group ... join us
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusquestgermany/
  • loui100loui100 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    h.r.gargi said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    I notice it very obviously. Bought The Walking Dead Oculus Rift version yesterday and I have block artifacts like hell on greyish scenes. This looks like a "fixed" overlay all over the picture. You can compare it with streamed videos in dark scenes. I checked different USB 3 ports, have the original Link cable and my machine got a new Geforce 2060RTX super in it. Asgard's Wrath looks much better, but it is more colorfull than TWD. This is a selfmade picture to visualize what I mean:  

Yup, I can confirm the same. I've seen similar effects in other games but in Walking Dead it's painfully obvious. Wish Oculus would unlock the full potential of the official cable, which should support much faster speeds...
  • h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    loui100 said:
    Yup, I can confirm the same. I've seen similar effects in other games but in Walking Dead it's painfully obvious. Wish Oculus would unlock the full potential of the official cable, which should support much faster speeds...
    Thanks for your reply! That means there is nothing wrong with my eyes :smile:
    German Oculus Quest / Go / Link Facebook Group ... join us
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusquestgermany/
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,377 Valuable Player
    I agree - I tried TWD Saints & Sinners and played the tute and start of first day with Quest/Link and that black mura effect is just awful. Really put me off. Unfortunately, Revive can't run the game, so my Index is out. I don't think there's anything we can play with in settings or config for Quest that will improve it, so from tomorrow I'm plugging my CV1 back in.

I hope they get this sorted for the Quest release of the game - but I don't see how they could release it with it in, it's just too much of a distraction and spoils all the dark scenes.

I'll try playing with the res for In Death, though - so far, it's my fave Link game. Difference to playing on Index is very obvious, so it will be interesting to see what can be achieved by playing with the Quest res.

Hiro Protagonist
    h.r.gargi said:
    Yobiwan29 said:

Vignette effect, nothing to do with Link, you can turn it ff by editing one of the ini file.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I finally managed to catch the compression artifacts that are ruining my experience with the link. It's obvious in the headset but very subtle on the pictures... You can see some blocky video compression that are very common in poorly encoded videos.