New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Link Resolution with v12

124»

Comments

• h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 165
    Art3mis
    Yobiwan29 said:
    I finally managed to catch the compression artifacts that are ruining my experience with the link. It's obvious in the headset but very subtle on the pictures... You can see some blocky video compression that are very common in poorly encoded videos.

You can see it on the grey/white ceiling...
    German Oculus Quest / Go / Link Facebook Group ... join us
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusquestgermany/
  • LordZeroGameMasterLordZeroGameMaster Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Sofian75 said:
    h.r.gargi said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    I've just tested the official cable with my new motherboard and same observation : debug tool tweaks bring very obvious video compression. I can't believe no one else notice these artifacts. I won't be able to play my steamVR games under these conditions. Blur or compression, impossible choice ! Waiting for the Valve Index...
    I notice it very obviously. Bought The Walking Dead Oculus Rift version yesterday and I have block artifacts like hell on greyish scenes. This looks like a "fixed" overlay all over the picture. You can compare it with streamed videos in dark scenes. I checked different USB 3 ports, have the original Link cable and my machine got a new Geforce 2060RTX super in it. Asgard's Wrath looks much better, but it is more colorfull than TWD. This is a selfmade picture to visualize what I mean:  

Vignette effect, nothing to do with Link, you can turn it ff by editing one of the ini file. 

Really ? Which ini file ? What do i do ?
  • Sofian75Sofian75 Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sofian75 said:
    h.r.gargi said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    I've just tested the official cable with my new motherboard and same observation : debug tool tweaks bring very obvious video compression. I can't believe no one else notice these artifacts. I won't be able to play my steamVR games under these conditions. Blur or compression, impossible choice ! Waiting for the Valve Index...
    I notice it very obviously. Bought The Walking Dead Oculus Rift version yesterday and I have block artifacts like hell on greyish scenes. This looks like a "fixed" overlay all over the picture. You can compare it with streamed videos in dark scenes. I checked different USB 3 ports, have the original Link cable and my machine got a new Geforce 2060RTX super in it. Asgard's Wrath looks much better, but it is more colorfull than TWD. This is a selfmade picture to visualize what I mean:  

Vignette effect, nothing to do with Link, you can turn it ff by editing one of the ini file. 

Really ? Which ini file ? What do i do ?
    C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\TWD\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini

"VignetteStrength"
  • gmoney0723gmoney0723 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Does anyone know whats greater the Ryzen 5 1500X or the Ryzen 5 2500U?
  • Firem4nFirem4n Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited February 7
    Hello,
    are there some more information about the maximum Encode Width? The Adreno 540 can handle decode [email protected].  Is it correct that the highest decode resolution is 4096x2160? Inside your blog post "How does Oculus Link Work?", there is the topic about the compression from 3616x2000 to 2016x1120. Now the question, if the resolution 3616x2000 stay the same and the encode width beyond 2016, as example 2912 is the compression the same 70% or less? The 2016x1120 is it per eye? And Final Question are Encode width beyond 3648 possible?

best regards Marcus
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 810
    3Jane
    Hi all... I haven’t had chance to try these resolution adjustments yet but plan to this weekend. 

I have an RTX 2080 Max Q. Should I start with encode resolution somewhere between the RTX 2070 and GTX 1070 suggested? What about the curvature and pixel density? Thanks!
  • MrBMTMrBMT Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 7
    enigma01 said:
    Hi all... I haven’t had chance to try these resolution adjustments yet but plan to this weekend. 

I have an RTX 2080 Max Q. Should I start with encode resolution somewhere between the RTX 2070 and GTX 1070 suggested? What about the curvature and pixel density? Thanks!
    If you have an RTX 2080 I'd normally recommend just using the NVidia RTX 2070+ settings.
    However, there is currently an issue with the v14 PC (Beta) software which stops Link from working completely if you use an Encode Resolution Width above 2784.

So, until Oculus confirm that's been fixed I would recommend that you use the following settings instead:
    Distortion Curvature "Low", Encode Resolution Width "2784", Pixels Per Display Pixel Override "1.2"
    That way at least Oculus Link won't suddenly break for you if they release the final v14 PC software without fixing the issue.
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
    Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable
  • GilDevGilDev Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    edited February 7
    Well my headset didn't even asked me for confirmation before updating… Now I have the v14 on desktop but when pressing “Enable Link” in the Quest, it goes to a black screen then come back to Quest's Home after 5 seconds. The desktop software tells me I need to update my headset for Link to work, but it's already on v13… When getting out of PTC, it wants to download v13 but the progress bar stays at 0 %.
    Has anyone got that issue too?
  • Colonel_IzziColonel_Izzi Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    edited February 7
    Firem4n said:
    Hello,
    are there some more information about the maximum Encode Width? The Adreno 540 can handle decode [email protected].  Is it correct that the highest decode resolution is 4096x2160? Inside your blog post "How does Oculus Link Work?", there is the topic about the compression from 3616x2000 to 2016x1120. Now the question, if the resolution 3616x2000 stay the same and the encode width beyond 2016, as example 2912 is the compression the same 70% or less? The 2016x1120 is it per eye? And Final Question are Encode width beyond 3648 possible?

best regards Marcus
    The encode resolution limitation is at least as much on the PC side as it is on the Quest side. Nvidia's NVENC for example, which is their hardware-based decoder/encoder, is limited for 4096 in any dimension for h.264 (it can go right up to 8192 with h.265, but Link uses h.264).

There are limits on the Quest side too of course, and officially they sit at about 4K as well. Unofficially however you can get right up to ~4864x2432 before the hardware decoder actually starts dropping frames. But, that is at 60fps and Link uses 72. Using 4864x2432 at 60fps to work out the maximum decoder block rate then, we shouldn't expect Quest to be able to decode more than 4K after all. In fact it works out to be a little less than 4096, and indeed before the encode width shenanigans that we are dealing with now were in play Link did indeed work at ~4064 or so, but not at 4096 (which suggests that Oculus decided to give users the freedom dial things right up to the maximum decoder block rate, but not beyond, which makes sense).

It should be said though that it is pretty pointless configuring it for 4K, even when you could (and even if we eventually might be able to again). It adds a whole lot of latency for very little visual fidelity improvement, and can potentially cause some degree of aliasing as Oculus warns.
    3Jane
    @MrBMT Thanks for that! 

My GPU is is Max Q (mobile variant), that’s why I thought I should set the encode somewhere between RTX 2070 and GTX 1070 recommended. I think the 2080 Max Q performs around on par with a desktop RTX 2060. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated! 
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 7
    enigma01 said:
    @MrBMT Thanks for that! 

My GPU is is Max Q (mobile variant), that’s why I thought I should set the encode somewhere between RTX 2070 and GTX 1070 recommended. I think the 2080 Max Q performs around on par with a desktop RTX 2060. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated! 
    @enigma01 Apologies, I totally missed that the Max Q was a mobile variant.
    Having looked, I've seen seen differing opinions on which cards it compares to on the desktop lineup, but as you said based on synthetic benchmarks it appears to be somewhere around RTX 2060ish territory.
    So, my rough guestimate would be try starting around...
    Distortion Curvature "Low", Encode Resolution Width "‭2632‬", Pixels Per Display Pixel Override "1.1"
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
    3Jane
    MrBMT said:
    Having looked, I've seen seen differing opinions on which cards it compares to on the desktop lineup, but as you said based on synthetic benchmarks it appears to be somewhere around RTX 2060ish territory.
    Distortion Curvature "Low", Encode Resolution Width "‭2632‬", Pixels Per Display Pixel Override "1.1"
    No worries, appreciate your help! I will give that a try!
    Possibly a really daft question... but to get the ODT changes to be correctly applied, do I open ODT make the changes, then with ODT still open launch the Rift PC software and start Oculus services etc, keeping ODT open whilst running Link?  
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 7
    enigma01 said:
    MrBMT said:
    No worries, appreciate your help! I will give that a try!
    Possibly a really daft question... but to get the ODT changes to be correctly applied, do I open ODT make the changes, then with ODT still open launch the Rift PC software and start Oculus services etc, keeping ODT open whilst running Link?  
    You can close ODT after making the changes, note that after changing the Distortion Curvature and Encode Resolution Width, from the ODT Menu options you should select Service and click Restart Oculus Service - do this twice, because apparently there's a bug where it won't always apply until you've restarted the service twice initially.
    After you've done that, then change the Pixels Per Display Override.
    Note that the Distortion Curvature and Encode Resolution Width will persist, even between computer restarts etc. however whenever you restart the Oculus Service or your PC, the Pixels Per Display Override will be reset back to 0.
    So to keep the same settings after a reboot, open ODT, change Pixels Per Display Override back to 1.1 (or whatever you're using then click on another option (e.g. Offset Mipmap Bias on All Layers). This will then update the Pixels Per Display Override and you can safely close ODT at this point. (If you open ODT again after, you should see your Pixels Per Display Override is still set to whatever you put in the box.)
    3Jane
    MrBMT said:
    When I tried 1.1 Pixel Override I got an error message when I restart the Oculus Services, I tried several times and kept getting the same error:

But when I change to 1.2 I don't get this error. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,522 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 8
    You need to restart the service for the Link-specific settings, but not for pixel density. It doesn’t persist through a service restart; you open the debug tool (I do it with the Oculus app already running), set the value, click in another field to implement the change, then close the debug tool and start playing. The setting will only persist as long as the Oculus service does not restart. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 335
    Trinity
    edited February 10
     I had an issue getting the link to connect to the PC with version 13 when I had it set at what I was using for version 12. 2912.
    A member posted he had the same issue and fixed it by reducing that to 2794, restarting everything and then Oculus connected. 
     I can confirm that was also my issue, once it was detected as 2794 all was well and I was able to return it to it's 2912 sweet spot. 

Wondering if anyone else tried any of the native Quest res mods in conjunction with the PC res tweak. It sure seems like they are working together to me. As effective as the ODT for native apps for sure but also seeming like it is having a big impact with the link on PC. I haven't tried with any PC applied SS or pixel density adjustment in ODT. Just the 2912 setting and this simple bat file mod with ADB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBqAIITC1HM  seems to have better results letting the Quest handle the SS load. Going to explore some more. 

Edit: I must retract that I was able to use both with debug tool and the native res hack at 2912. That disconnects me, but at 2784 and option 6, 2048 for the Quest, that combo looks much better than just 2912 with the debug tool. 
    Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
  • Firem4nFirem4n Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Firem4n said:
    Hello,

best regards Marcus
    The encode resolution limitation is at least as much on the PC side as it is on the Quest side. Nvidia's NVENC for example, which is their hardware-based decoder/encoder, is limited for 4096 in any dimension for h.264 (it can go right up to 8192 with h.265, but Link uses h.264).

There are limits on the Quest side too of course, and officially they sit at about 4K as well. Unofficially however you can get right up to ~4864x2432 before the hardware decoder actually starts dropping frames. But, that is at 60fps and Link uses 72. Using 4864x2432 at 60fps to work out the maximum decoder block rate then, we shouldn't expect Quest to be able to decode more than 4K after all. In fact it works out to be a little less than 4096, and indeed before the encode width shenanigans that we are dealing with now were in play Link did indeed work at ~4064 or so, but not at 4096 (which suggests that Oculus decided to give users the freedom dial things right up to the maximum decoder block rate, but not beyond, which makes sense).

It should be said though that it is pretty pointless configuring it for 4K, even when you could (and even if we eventually might be able to again). It adds a whole lot of latency for very little visual fidelity improvement, and can potentially cause some degree of aliasing as Oculus warns.

Thanks for reply!
    But there is still the question about the compression. I know the link cable is using h.264 at the moment and it makes no sense using h.265 it is the same limitation (Quest limitation). Above 4K resolution is not needed. What I want to know, is there less compression at higher encode width or would it be the same? Right now they limited their own Debug settings. I don't understand why they did this. Before version 13, above 2784 worked for me and I also tried 3648 and I think it made a different visual quality. I will test if I can change something above 2784 by command prompt, but I suggest the Quest version 13 has an decode limitation by software right now.

Greetings
  • DeadausDeadaus Posts: 19
    Brain Burst
    How do you choose these numbers, 2784, 2912, etc.. Is this a multiple of something?
  • snakey123snakey123 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    So what settings are recommended for 1080Ti after the new update?
  • InactiveCoyoteInactiveCoyote Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    What settings do i use if I have A GTX 1060 With Q graphics
  • TheninjageckoTheninjagecko Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    Deadaus said:
    How do you choose these numbers, 2784, 2912, etc.. Is this a multiple of something?
    Does it relate to the data stream, 2900kb/s or 2.8Mbits. Sure looks it with the compression artifacts. It's like a youtube 480p movie in my headset compared to the Rift S.
  • FelicityCFelicityC Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    edited May 5
    Deadaus said:
    Does it relate to the data stream, 2900kb/s or 2.8Mbits. Sure looks it with the compression artifacts. It's like a youtube 480p movie in my headset compared to the Rift S.

No. If you had read any more than the title of the thread you would have seen this post.
    volgaksoy said:
    I got one additional question, how did you come up with Encode Resolution "2912" for Pixel Density "1.2"? Is there a ratio you apply based on Encode Resolution "2016", Pixel Density "1.0"?
    There are certainly ratios involved, but also the distortion curvature modifies said ratios. These particular values are derived to achieve roughly a 1:1 app-render-to-encode-pixel-density at the center of the display when addressing the resolution of the Quest display while also accounting for chroma subsampling.

You are doing something wrong. Also, it doesn't really work too well now, I've not had much success with it. And I see barely any reports of it working after v13- it's like everyone already abandoned it.

edit: nevermind. it seems to be working fine now. not sure why I wasn't able to use it before- maybe I just can't use an extension with it, or the old cable was bad.

note you can only do a max of 2784 encoding width now, the dev never updated his post. I put 2784 and 1.6 pixel density to test and steamvr home was reporting like 3800 res or something ridiculous
    8700k @ 5ghz allcore, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 2x8gb memory @ CL16 1T, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, overheating from OVRserver_x64
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,522 Volunteer Moderator
    There was an update that broke it for encoding resolution width above 2784 (I think it was v13), but I believe that was fixed in a later update. You definitely want to go easy with the pixel density, though—1.6 corresponds to 256% of the default number of pixels.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • TimTVYTTimTVYT Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Does this work anymore or did they abandon it?
  • dahgamerdahgamer Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hello, I have a question. What would be the best setting for a titan x maxwell graphic card. 
    Thanks