New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Quest Link instability - return or not

I have the partyLink cable and a brand new laptop with an RTX 1060 video card. I got the quest link working and tried using it but it only works for a minute or so and then I get tossed to the connect link screen in my Quest. I can hit allow and it connects me again for another minute or so before I get kicked back to the connect screen again. I'm trying connecting usb-c out of the laptop. Anyone run into this and find a solution?

Comments

• enigma01enigma01 Posts: 980
    3Jane
    Do you mean a GTX 1060, or RTX 2060? There is no such GPU as an RTX 1060.
  • otatopotatop Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    sorry RTX 2060
    google wallmart 81Q6000QUS and you'll get it (forum won't let me post a link yet)
    3Jane
    I have an Acer Triton 500 with RTX 2080 Max Q, according to userbenchmark https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2080-Mobile-Max-Q-vs-Nvidia-RTX-2060/m704710vs4034, there is very minimal difference between the performance of RTX 2060 (I don’t think yours is Max Q?)
    Link has been working great on my laptop using USB Gen 3.1 Gen 1 ports, and the USB C 3.1 Gen 2 (only tried today but used for about 2 hours no problem and was only a short cable with no extensions) 
    NerveGear
    From what I understand the RTX 2060 doesn't have a Max Q version so I'm pretty sure it's not that. The graphics while it worked seemed fine, just didn't stay connected long. 
    3Jane
    otatop said:
    From what I understand the RTX 2060 doesn't have a Max Q version so I'm pretty sure it's not that. 
    Ah yes, I think you’re correct, it was cancelled before launch apparently! Have you tried using one of your USB 3.0 ports and not the USB C?
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,261 Volunteer Moderator
    Link is still in beta, and can be a little unstable. I did some testing with v12 on Sunday, and I had about four dropouts to the "Enable Link" screen over about an hour of playtime.

I'm not sure what can be done to improve the stability, but hopefully it will get better by the end of the beta.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    3Jane
    nalex66 said:
    Link is still in beta, and can be a little unstable. I did some testing with v12 on Sunday, and I had about four dropouts to the "Enable Link" screen over about an hour of playtime.
    Is that using USB C? I’ve had absolutely no drop outs using my USB port. I’ve been using Link for around 2 hours a night since it was launched. I’m thinking whether I should do some more testing on my USB C port. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,261 Volunteer Moderator
    No, I don't have any USB C ports in my PC. This is with a 5m USB 3 active extension cable and an Anker 1m USB 3 A to C cable. This setup was pretty stable in my original v11 testing, but I've seen a few people complaining of less stability under v12.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    NerveGear
    I think I am on V12. I updated my quest normally but then to get the versions to match I had to tell the desktop software to enable the public test channel because I was getting an upgrade error from the desktop every time I tried to activate link. Is there a way to revert the quest and the desktop to an older version to see if it's just a bug with the latest version?

I'm using USB C. I tried very briefly to use the partyLink usb 3 to usb c adapter but it didn't seem to like it. I'll try that again though later tonight. 
    NerveGear
    As before the USB 3 to USB c adapter doesn't register. It only connected via usb c and only for a minute at a time.
    NerveGear
    Found a thread of others with the same problem on reddit "Oculus Link keeps disconnecting"
  • erasmushurterasmushurt Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    There are many people who this happens to including some of the most popular streamers for the Quest. It's been a problem that has been largely ignored.
  • anders123123anders123123 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    otatop said:
    I have the partyLink cable and a brand new laptop with an RTX 1060 video card. I got the quest link working and tried using it but it only works for a minute or so and then I get tossed to the connect link screen in my Quest. I can hit allow and it connects me again for another minute or so before I get kicked back to the connect screen again. I'm trying connecting usb-c out of the laptop. Anyone run into this and find a solution?
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE annoying that