New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Half Life Alyx Tested Hands-on Impressions

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,155 Valuable Player
edited December 2019 in General
Some nice bits in here. Such an important game for VR regardless of which headset it is played on.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,954 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    I was just about to post the video - 3 minutes late - sigh  :D

Just watched 3 mins at decided not to go further, I really don't want to see more spoilers than the trailer  o:)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,155 Valuable Player
    With such a well-publicised game, the messenger is unimportant!

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    With such a well-publicised game, the messenger is unimportant!
    Of course - just fun to see that you had the same thought and got here a few minutes before me, lol 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,362 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for sharing - was watching this.
    The most interesting was their comparison on different headsets. Fascinated that it worked so well on Quest Link (Franken-Quest), another selling point. Again, great job by the devs. 
    rlwvperoke0n.jpg
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    kevinw729 said:
    The most interesting was their comparison on different headsets. Fascinated that it worked so well on Quest Link (Franken-Quest), another selling point. Again, great job by the devs. 

I just jumped to the conclusion at about 31:30. Seems like Valve's main agenda is not to push Index, but to push VR as a whole - and that's quite a generous move.

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,634 Volunteer Moderator
    Great to see such extensive testing and commentary on so many different headsets. I regularly see a lot of people on Reddit who have swallowed the anti-Oculus kool-aid and just assume Rift CV1 tracking is garbage, or inside-out doesn't work well, or Quest Link looks like crap, etc. It's nice to see an even-handed comparison, and the game looks excellent too.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,758 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    kevinw729 said:

I just jumped to the conclusion at about 31:30. Seems like Valve's main agenda is not to push Index, but to push VR as a whole - and that's quite a generous move.
    Yep that is a very good thing.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Least prefered HMD: Cosmos :lol:
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,445 Valuable Player
    Wildt said:
    Least prefered HMD: Cosmos :lol:
    Ya, don't rub it in mate, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,980 Valuable Player
    Looks quite nice.  Good to see AAA games coming through.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,362 Valuable Player
    Still not a 30-hour AAA, more a 15-hour trilogy. That will bookend quite well with L4D-VR.

Agree they have not built this to promote just Index, but it looks like Knuckles offers the best experience - and may explain why Index and Knuckles are all sold out (just like quest).
    rlwvperoke0n.jpg
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,579 Volunteer Moderator
    Umm, their understanding of Oculus controllers is a little lacking. Twice in the video they said that the Touch controller grip trigger is a digital button.
    "there's grabby buttons that are digital buttons" 15:35
    "it's all capacitive" (no it's not. The menu/home buttons and grip/hand triggers have no capacitive sensors)
    "or even the oculus controllers that have a digital touch button a grip button" (24:20)

But in the first instance, when Will says that, the footage in the background is Norm using the ANALOG grip trigger to do partial finger movement.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,452 Valuable Player
    edited December 2019
    RuneSR2 said:
    I was just about to post the video - 3 minutes late - sigh  :D

Just watched 3 mins at decided not to go further, I really don't want to see more spoilers than the trailer  o:)
    I gave you an awesome for trying ;) Not much more than we have seen already in the trailer, maybe even a little less.
    nalex66 said:
    Great to see such extensive testing and commentary on so many different headsets. I regularly see a lot of people on Reddit who have swallowed the anti-Oculus kool-aid and just assume Rift CV1 tracking is garbage, or inside-out doesn't work well, or Quest Link looks like crap, etc. It's nice to see an even-handed comparison, and the game looks excellent too.

Seems like the video doesn't really contain many spoilers, and they are quite nice toward all hmds. Thus we need to read a bit between the lines. 
    Having spent many hours in Index and CV1, I can relate to their surprisingly positive experiences with the Vive and CV1. People tend to forget how extremely light the CV1 is - and they forget how totally beyond awesome the sound is. Note how much the CV1 bass surprised them - even Index feels like totally lacking bass when changing from CV1 to Index in Pistol Whip. Still CV1 has tons of sound precision, even with the deepest bass the sound never gets muddy. And note the positive words about the oled image quality in CV1 and Vive, and they did not even mention the SDE ;) I really hope Valve will support native Oculus drivers, although I wouldn't bet my life on it, lol - but I'd really love to see the game using CV1 asw 2.0 ss 2.0. 
    They also used a GTX 1080, so Alyx will probably perform great on many video cards.
    In short, I don't think users of CV1 or Rift-S should worry about getting a reduced experience compared to Index users - and 50 % of me would love to play this game using CV1 ss 2.0 to experience the power of the sound and the darkness of the oled screens, because in very dark locations it's beyond any doubt - at least to me - that CV1 looks significantly better than Index. But Index will win if Valve has added some light sources to avoid locations being too dark and thereby too oled-friendly. And of course Index may win quite a lot if Valve has added ultra high-res textures like in Boneworks, but I don't think Tested mentioned texture quality in the video...