cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should a Facebook Account be "optional" to use Oculus VR?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I think we all know how the voting will end with this question. But it may be good to give some visual statistics to Facebook and Oculus, considering the amount of complaints against this latest Account Login update.

So... should users who purchase Oculus VR products be required to sign up to Facebook? Or should Oculus accounts continue to be handled separately, with Facebook accounts remaining purely optional?
109 REPLIES 109

PluckeyOne
Protege
Its a question of data protection, it should be optional. No one should be forced into giving their real identity. Same goes with this forum. Who would log in if your real identity was open to all to see and abuse?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Don't do Facebook, never will. ( Well I did once but never again 😉 )
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
All it's done is put me off purchasing an Oculus Quest, which I was considering getting later next year. It's a bit pointless me getting one now if I can't use all it's features unless I have a facebook account. I suspect it will also put some other people off getting one too.

Yep it's a Facebook product but it's soooo much more. VR and all of it's possibilities are what I dreamt about for years, not just its social possibilities but its ability to let you escape from the real world and its social ties on the occasions when you need to do that.... and just now and then people need that to get through the day.

Let an app like Horizon pioneer Facebook's social VR magic and leave people free to choose for everything else.

Pacman8030
Expert Protege
How will our identify be abused? They may use our activity for advertising purposes to show products you may be interested in. It's their business strategy and I'm sure they aren't profiting much off of the headset sales. Their competitors are charging almost a grand for their VR headsets.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@DaftnDirect - I'm not sure even the Horizon app should be linked to a facebook account. If people want a facebook account then there's tablets and desktop PC's to make an account. Just keep facebook accounts away from VR full stop is what I say.

AnnieC
Protege
As soon as a Facebook account will be required to use my Rift, I will sell it and buy something else.

@RedRizla, I'm not sure where your argument goes. Yes people have tablets, phones and PCs, but they're not VR. Are you saying people should only have a 2D Facebook social experience? why?

Just because we don't like the direction that Facebook is dictating account linking doesn't mean that a Facebook social app shouldn't be available in VR form for those who want it. You can access Facebook via a browser in a headset but what's the point of that? We should have VR versions of all apps and not be restricted to phones, tablets or PCs for anything.

Horizon is Facebook's social app. It replaces Spaces which let you connect to people via Facebook. I don't use Facebook on a PC, tablet or phone but I tried out Spaces, connecting to family through Facebook, them on their phones/tablets looking at a virtual me doing virtual stuff which was actually a lot of fun and one of the things that VR is all about. Not sure how it would have been possible without Facebook accounts at both ends.

Let's pick our battles reasonably. Account linking no, Facebook having a social app, yes, nothing wrong with that at all.

Richooal
Consultant
Facebook is a separate social media platform.

Lots of companies own other companies but do not require you to have accounts with the parent organisation. If people choose to link every aspect of their online presence that's fine, but it must be a choice. Facebook's decision to force membership of "Selfie Central" onto VR users will backfire. Oculus VR will be seen as a tool for data collection and advertising rather than a serious new technology.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.