cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link wont connect through USB C port.

Mikele2
Honored Guest
Hello, I have bought a usb C to C cable. It is 3.0. When I plug my quest into the USB c port on my computer, nothing happens, it wont even charge. I bought an adapter, and it says it isnt usb 3, but it will atleast charge my headset. 
Has anyone else had a similar issue? The USB c port on my computer charges my phone, and I can use it for data transfer.
I am using the type c port on my motherboard, and it rated for 10 gbps, so i shouldnt be having a problem
10 REPLIES 10

808Exile
Protege
Hi,

I don't know if your problem may be related to one I just posted about. I have a Gigabyte MB AORUS Gaming 7 with a USB 3.1 gen 2 Type-C port on the back, when I try to use it the Oculus software reports it as USB 2.0. All my USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A ports work. I bought my cable off of Amazon from a company called PartyLink and it came with an adapter that allows me to plug the USB 3.1 Type-C cable into a USB 3.1 Type-A port. I also bought a number of USB type-C to Type-A adapters that claimed to be superspeed compatible, but Oculus either didn't see the headset at all or reported it as USB 2.0, so it appears that a lot of the adapters that claim to be USB 3 superspeed compatible aren't.

Hope this helps.

Gordon

Crypt0H0und
Honored Guest
I'm havving a similar issue, i plug the usb-c to usb-c cable that came with it into my pc and my headset... but it won't connect (it does charge tho). The cable works fine with my phone, so it's not the cable or the plug on the PC, when I change to an old USB2.0 to usb-c cable, it starts working using usb2.0. This may have something to do with the programming?

VROne3D
Explorer

Mikele2 said:

Hello, I have bought a usb C to C cable. It is 3.0. When I plug my quest into the USB c port on my computer, nothing happens, it wont even charge. I bought an adapter, and it says it isnt usb 3, but it will atleast charge my headset. 
Has anyone else had a similar issue? The USB c port on my computer charges my phone, and I can use it for data transfer.
I am using the type c port on my motherboard, and it rated for 10 gbps, so i shouldnt be having a problem

What PC/Laptop do you have? - Motherboard - GPU - RAM etc.

Vinoh
Adventurer
Sounds like a problem I've been having with one exception. If I power cycle (shut down, not just restart) my headset while it's plugged into the USB-c port on my MSI GE75 laptop, everything works fine. However, if I disconnect it and then plug it back in again, it stops working and won't even charge. Have you tried power cycling the headset while connected?

ColtonBaird32
Explorer
Not meaning to drop in, but you guys seem to know your shit. So quick question. If I am using the oculus link chord and I plug it to the back of my motherboard, am I using my GPU power at all?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Not meaning to drop in, but you guys seem to know your shit. So quick question. If I am using the oculus link chord and I plug it to the back of my motherboard, am I using my GPU power at all?

When you use your Quest with Link your pc does all the heavy lifting with its cpu, gpu, and ram.  The Quest is mainly just running its displays and its usb decoders. 
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

I'm havving a similar issue, i plug the usb-c to usb-c cable that came with it into my pc and my headset... but it won't connect (it does charge tho). The cable works fine with my phone, so it's not the cable or the plug on the PC, when I change to an old USB2.0 to usb-c cable, it starts working using usb2.0. This may have something to do with the programming?

It's the cable.
Quest cable is a basic charger cable.
I also have a 3.1 gen 2 'phone' C2C cable,works fine with phone but is hit or miss with other things.
Just bought a specifically for the quest made 3.1 gen 2 C2C 3m cable from ebay.
So far it works with everything and has given me my highest usb test score beating 2 anker cables.

I'll be testing it's link gaming prowess later today and if all is fine I'll be posting about the cable.
It's not even advertised it's that new out,I got lucky and was recommended it by the maker.
Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo

That worked for me. I wonder whats causing it.

This is a problem I am having. My specs are GeForce GTX 1050, and the Intel Core i5. My operating system is Windows 11.