cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Oculus Link cable is not working for me. Anyone else have this issue?

TuSwab
Honored Guest
My third-party cable works perfectly fine but I cannot enable Oculus Link with the $80 cable that I just received. The oculus software will detect that the quest is plugged in to my USB-C port, yet I get no pop up to turn on Oculus Link and It wont work manually either because the quest doesnt know its plugged in. 

I've submitted 2 support tickets with no response. I've also posted on reddit and I found that there are other users with this exact problem. They have also submitted tickets with no response. I'm about to send it back for a refund, but I really want this cable to work.
137 REPLIES 137

Lavalamp202
Sightseer
I have a very similar problem, I also don't have an option to start it from my computer but I do have an option to on my quest. My headset does know that it's plugged in but whenever I click the button to start it instantly tells me that it has stopped working, so technically I get a little further than you but it's essentially the same problem. If you do find a solution please let me know since my official cable is the only cable that I own, but until then, best of luck.

J-Tricky
Honored Guest
I have almost the same problem. My 3rd party cable (partylink) works perfectly as well but when my oculus cable is plugged directly into the same USB-C port on my computer windows tells me “USB Device not recognized” I then get a more detailed message saying it’s either not recognized or malfunctioning and I should try plugging it back in. I have tried other ports, rebooting, uninstalling, updating, Nothing seems to work. 

*EDIT* - I should also mention that the oculus software does not seem to detect the headset. It says “General Device Error” and under that the red icon indicating USB 3 is needed (All of my ports are thunderbolt ports). I can connect using this cable through one of my USB-A ports by using an adapter but I lose the charging functionality which is why I purchased this cord. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Chiming in with the same problem.

My third party cable from Amazon:
GodSpin USB-C to USB-C Cable (20Gbps) SuperSpeed [Certified] USB Type-C to USB Type-C, 100W Power (USB 3.1 & 3.2 Compatible) Nylon Braided, Dual 4k or Single 5k @60hz Display (6.6ft/20Gbps)

When running my PC, I restarted both Quest and computer.
Quest is detected on my PC with both cables (albeit inconsistently when using the official Quest Link cable):
xx6q9wnpmyaz.pngUsing Oculus Link cable, I get the "PC not detected" error when enabling Link manually through Quest settings.
Without touching or restarting anything else, I simply swap out the cables and everything works.

Running on Windows 10, all updates. I am using a 3.1 USB-C port.
My computer is an Origin Laptop, Eon17-X (aka Clevo P775TM1-G).

Anonymous
Not applicable

mm2butler
Explorer

kilogold said:

Chiming in with the same problem.

My third party cable from Amazon:
GodSpin USB-C to USB-C Cable (20Gbps) SuperSpeed [Certified] USB Type-C to USB Type-C, 100W Power (USB 3.1 & 3.2 Compatible) Nylon Braided, Dual 4k or Single 5k @60hz Display (6.6ft/20Gbps)

When running my PC, I restarted both Quest and computer.
Quest is detected on my PC with both cables (albeit inconsistently when using the official Quest Link cable):
xx6q9wnpmyaz.pngUsing Oculus Link cable, I get the "PC not detected" error when enabling Link manually through Quest settings.
Without touching or restarting anything else, I simply swap out the cables and everything works.

Running on Windows 10, all updates. I am using a 3.1 USB-C port.
My computer is an Origin Laptop, Eon17-X (aka Clevo P775TM1-G).

I am having the exact same issue.  I've submitted my logs via a support ticket but have not received a response back.  I haven't tried a third party cable because I was just waiting for the official but so far no luck.  I keep just getting "PC not detected" error no matter what I try.

Please share if anyone was able to resolve the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's an older thread on Reddit with some successes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/ehu2he/link_cable_not_working/

Nothing eye-opening yet. I wonder if Oculus devs are standing by, watching this unfold to collect enough information for a fix... We the community are basically paying nearly $90 to work as QA here. 

As the good ol' Facebook mantra goes: Move fast, break things.

mm2butler
Explorer
Yeah, this is tough... I'll have to wait a bit here to see if they fix it.  If it's not working by the end of this month I'll probably request to return it for a refund.

Here is to hoping!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus just pushed out an update which was live on PTC: 
Oculus App Version 12.0.0.306.268 (12.0.0.306.268)
I can't seem to find any changelogs on it, but it fixed my issue. Official Link Cable now works!
Here's the only thread bringing up the discussion:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/83258/rift-s-and-rift-build-12-0-release-notes/p9

I would still like to see a changelog to understand the issue - but having it run will suffice for now...
Thanks, Oculus.

Kozlovica
Honored Guest
Please do not say it is now working like you have above. ^^^^

Clearly, that is for you, which is good, but not all people have it working and it sort of brings this whole forum post to a conclusion saying it now works after latest patch.

That being said, I have the EXACT same problem as described at the top. I have the official cable plugged into my thunderbolt 3 port to my quest. I get the green check mark on the oculus app and yet I can't run it. I try manually in the Quest headset, but when I try to click on Oculus Link under settings, I get "PC NOT DETECTED" Quest and PC software are on V12 and I'm not on PTC, I have submitted a support ticket with no response and have waited roughly 1/2 weeks now.

I am from Australia and the cable cost me $126AUD to do nothing but take up 5m of space.

Please, if others are experiencing this problem, don't scroll past, let us know so we can help get this fixed or at least to Oculus attention.