New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

CES 2020 - To Reveal Next Mainstream VR

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,905 Valuable Player
edited January 4 in General
Interesting, while some executives claim all the plaudits for the coming VR mainstream, we are about to see the opening of the massive CES event in Las Vegas. Already there are a number of very interesting haptic platforms on the show floor, but what are the real mainstream advancements?

Comment - This post will also be updated over the coming days with the latest new releases seen on the show floor from Vegas.
P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,972 Valuable Player
    Be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Pimax 8KX Kevin, they[Pimax] will be at CES. Hopefully have a better showing than previous years.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,234 Valuable Player
    If you're there Kevin, see if you can check out the Yaw VR Motion Simulator please! I might be buying one at the end of the year if they're any good!

Wish I lived in the States, we rarely have such things over here. Plus I could start stalking @Zenbane  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,905 Valuable Player
    edited January 6
    [FB VR Thread]
    CES is going to start and we already had some interesting announcements:
    -- Pico is going to launch 6DOF standalone Neo 2 with 4K resolution and Snapdragon 845 chipset;
    -- Pimax will announce the price of the low-cost Artisan;
    -- Bosch should unveil its superlightweight (only 10g!) smartglass;
    -- We will see if Kura will be there with its innovative AR technology;
    - Abrash predicts that AR glasses will substitute smartphones only in 2030-2040
    - SuperData highlights how the standalone VR market is growing a lot
    - HP rumored to refresh the Reverb
    - Vive Cosmos gets $100 discount
    - Microsoft to launch Sharepoint Spaces in first half of 2020
    - NVIDIA Ampere promises a new revolution in GPUs
    - ...and much more!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,925 Volunteer Moderator
    Apparently Charmin are showing the V.I.Pee, a portable toilet which includes a Rift-S.
    I can't find any good photos of it yet though, just Charmin's other CES product: a robot bear that delivers toilet paper.

I'm curious how well the magnetic tracking of the Pico Neo 2 controllers works.

kojack said:
    Apparently Charmin are showing the V.I.Pee, a portable toilet which includes a Rift-S.
    I can't find any good photos of it yet though, !!!

Obviously your not trying hard enough! [image supplied]

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,925 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:
    kojack said:
    I can't find any good photos of it yet though, !!!

Obviously your not trying hard enough! [image supplied]

Well, neither are you. I said GOOD photos. I've seen that one, it's all any website seems to have. The Rift-S isn't even recognisable in that one.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,845 Valuable Player
    @kevinw729 - Where did the rumour start about a HP Reverb refresh and do you reckon this will happen? When you talk about a refresh. Could this mean they are getting rid of the ridiculous rigid cable the HP Reverb has now?
    RedRizla said:
    @kevinw729 - Where did the rumour start about a HP Reverb refresh and do you reckon this will happen? When you talk about a refresh. Could this mean they are getting rid of the ridiculous rigid cable the HP Reverb has now?

Some of the VAR's started rumors about a refresh back at the end of last year - as this is an Enterprise facing platform I would not be surprised at some changes in design (IPD, cabling, electronics package). There is also the issue that they may also do a special version only for backpack, following the success of their replacement of the CV1 for the HP Reverb, working with Dreamscape (image).

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Well it looks like Abrush may have to think again!

Presented at CES 2020 as a reference product, the new VR glasses from Panasonic are the world’s first HDR capable UHD VR eyeglasses, with high-quality images and optimal sound and no screen door effect.

Ah.. great the embargo has lifted and we can now discuss this.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • TadinTadin Posts: 312
    Trinity
    Looks like no onboard camera, does it have external tracking sensors ?
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,043
    Wintermute
    kevinw729 said:

Presented at CES 2020 as a reference product, the new VR glasses from Panasonic are the world’s first HDR capable UHD VR eyeglasses, with high-quality images and optimal sound and no screen door effect.

Looks like the 'Ideal' HMD, no problems with IPD, not bulky...  I'd like to know more...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 492
    Trinity
    So, we get a 20° FOV VR device that doesn't work for any active apps, and fucking toilets? Does no one take VR seriously or what?
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • PluckeyOnePluckeyOne Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    So, we get a 20° FOV VR device that doesn't work for any active apps, and fucking toilets? Does no one take VR seriously or what?
    You’re meant to use that Panasonic while on the toilet. You silly.

Calm before the storm LuluViBritannia (why is that account familiar??)
    We will hopefully get to the real meat-n-potatoes of the VR / AR stuff in a few hours time after the second and third major embargo lift. Looks like Samsung just showed their AR glasses!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,313 Valuable Player
    edited January 7
    kevinw729 said:

Interesting design - maybe the most interesting things in the photo are the missing things... Controllers? Tracking? Can it run Asgard's Wrath and Stormland? In-ear headphones aren't my favorite. But it looks really lightweight for - maybe - best ever comfort... And the screens are oled <3

"United colors of Benetton" :D

https://vrscout.com/news/ces-2020-panasonic-hdr-vr-glasses/#

https://www.provideocoalition.com/panasonic-at-ces-2020-the-worlds-first-hdr-capable-uhd-vr-eyeglasses/

Main features of the developed product:

(1)  UHD high-quality images device capable of displaying HDR1 images

•   Equipped with a micro OLED panel co-developed by Kopin Corporation2 and Panasonic
    •   Achieved natural and smooth images without “Screen door effect”, which is a visual artifact of displays, where the fine lines separating pixels become visible in the displayed image

(2)  High-quality sound capable of the reproduction over a wide range of frequencies from ultra-low to high

•   The adoption of Technics’ original dynamic driver using magnetic fluid allows the accurate stroke of the diaphragm and achieves ultra low distortion reproduction.

(3)  Compact and lightweight body enabling the device to be worn in comfort without the need for a headband

•   The adoption of an optical module newly developed by Kopin Corporation, 3M Company, and Panasonic allows the display of natural and distortion-free images in super single focus. A compact and lightweight design achieved an eyeglass-like shape.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,564 Valuable Player
    Def something looking really sharp. Most of the current headsets just have a lot of bulk of plastic. I am sure what allows them to get away with a smaller design though is the lenses
    The style reminds me of swimming goggles. This is a really nice form-factor. However, more info required before getting excited. If these are commercial enterprise products for airlines etc then they will most likely be priced quite high.

Someone posted on the HP Reverb refresh on Reddit not long ago and the changes whilst welcome don't seem too exciting other than more cameras for better tracking.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    RattyUK said:
    kevinw729 said:

Looks like the 'Ideal' HMD, no problems with IPD, not bulky...  I'd like to know more...
    Betcha they'll be 999 quid
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,043
    Wintermute
    Techy111 said:
    RattyUK said:
    kevinw729 said:

Betcha they'll be 999 quid
    I'm sure you're not wrong :'(

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,313 Valuable Player
    edited January 8
    The style reminds me of swimming goggles. 

Let's put a pin in that and then never - ever - use them as swimming goggles  :D 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Someone posted on the HP Reverb refresh on Reddit not long ago and the changes whilst welcome don't seem too exciting other than more cameras for better tracking.
    I wonder if we'll be offered a discount ???
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111 said:
    I wonder if we'll be offered a discount ???
    No chance.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,845 Valuable Player
    So the Rigid cable will remain? A cable change would be the most exciting thing for me even then more camera's. Surely if they are going to do a refresh then the cable needs changing.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,681
    Project 2501
    RedRizla said:
    So the Rigid cable will remain? A cable change would be the most exciting thing for me even then more camera's. Surely if they are going to do a refresh then the cable needs changing.
    Ya, smaller/lighter optical cable, mechanical IPD, oled, more cameras, better controllers, and Oculus compatibility would make me want to jump over to them, lol! 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• Sofian75Sofian75 Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Head to MRTV  channel on youtube, he's doing live coverage of VR/AR.
    How many spotted only for Enterprise?!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,681
    Project 2501
    kevinw729 said:
    How many spotted only for Enterprise?!
    Beam me up Scotty, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

kojack said:
    Well, neither are you. I said GOOD photos. I've seen that one, it's all any website seems to have. The Rift-S isn't even recognisable in that one.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **