cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking quality is awful with Oculus S for ESL/ VR Master League players

Dan1018
Adventurer
If for example we equip a normal sight on a rifles and more obvious with a 4x, 12x sight and we hold it firmly the tracking is bugged AS HELL, I mean AS HELL. 

Basically the controllers freeze in the air, as if they goes in sleep mode. Do you think is this acceptable? Please think about it: we buy a VR system right after the CV1 generation and the tracking is WAY WORST? I mean you just have to fix the tracking, the controllers goes in sleep mode automatically when we hold the sight firmly (yes even without a gunstock and we know that you don’t officially support gunstocks, BUT IT HAPPENS WITHOUT. 
Please Oculus let us hear your voice about this problem
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
The CV1 had outside in tracking so it could see your controllers just about anywhere within your defined playspace. The Rift S has inside out tracking meaning that there are cameras on the headset recording the emitters on the controllers. When you place the controllers too close to the headset the cameras simply can't see the controller properly. I find the Rift S fine for quick movements near the head like grabbing a shotgun from behind your back. It also seems to work fine for archery style games because its just registering the trigger pull of the hand near the head, not needing to really track it. Most other actions track almost perfectly fine as well. But trying to use scope on a rifle or doing a quick jab after covering up? The Rift S cannot do that and I don't see how it ever will. If you want accurate tracking you have to stick to the CV1 or go with another headset that uses outside in tracking.

Dan1018
Adventurer

The CV1 had outside in tracking so it could see your controllers just about anywhere within your defined playspace. The Rift S has inside out tracking meaning that there are cameras on the headset recording the emitters on the controllers. When you place the controllers too close to the headset the cameras simply can't see the controller properly. I find the Rift S fine for quick movements near the head like grabbing a shotgun from behind your back. It also seems to work fine for archery style games because its just registering the trigger pull of the hand near the head, not needing to really track it. Most other actions track almost perfectly fine as well. But trying to use scope on a rifle or doing a quick jab after covering up? The Rift S cannot do that and I don't see how it ever will. If you want accurate tracking you have to stick to the CV1 or go with another headset that uses outside in tracking.

I saw this bug happens even if both of the controllers are enough far from the S cameras.

I hope the devs will improve the situation with machine learning or other magics. This is the most INTRUSIVE bug I have ever experienced since I start playing videogames in general. I HATE this quality!

Dan1018
Adventurer
DEVS GIVE US HOPE PLEASE!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't call this a bug its a current limitation of the technology that they opted for. Inside/out versus outside/in each have their pros and cons. Oculus is definitely moving away from the high end pc driven headset in favor of mobile units which would not work for outside/in tracking. I absolutely understand your position. If you use alot of games that require movement near the headset than I think the Rift S is one of the worst options on the market.

As far as tracking problems away from the headset, that doesn't sound normal. Make sure your lighting isn't too low. Otherwise open a ticket with support.

Dan1018
Adventurer

I wouldn't call this a bug its a current limitation of the technology that they opted for. Inside/out versus outside/in each have their pros and cons. Oculus is definitely moving away from the high end pc driven headset in favor of mobile units which would not work for outside/in tracking. I absolutely understand your position. If you use alot of games that require movement near the headset than I think the Rift S is one of the worst options on the market.

As far as tracking problems away from the headset, that doesn't sound normal. Make sure your lighting isn't too low. Otherwise open a ticket with support.

Far away (not by much) is something you can replicate but occurs less frequently and is a non problem, just try. It’s probably caused by the occlusion of controllers (one each other’s).
Don’t say it’s my unit fault, you can find tons of posts about this problem with detailed videos on this forum and reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/dnbhj3/devs_rift_s_controllers_seem_to_be_going_into/
Quote “Rift S controllers seem to be going into sleep mode when held *very* still for 2-3 seconds. Annoying in gun games when right hand is near headset as gun gets momentarily stuck. I have to remember to wiggle it now and then.

If this is a timed sleep-mode thing, could we please make it a modifiable option in Oculus settings, 1 - 60 seconds maybe? I never hold a gun still for THAT long, so 60 should be more than enough.”

or

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/688850

Dan1018
Adventurer
I understand the limits of this generation but it need to be IMPROVED AT LEAST PLEASE! Devs please focus on improving the controller tracking/ script when holding the sight very firmly with 2 hands for few seconds! PLEASE GIVE US SOMETHING! ❤️

Dan1018
Adventurer
This guy on reddit found a workaround making the controllers vibrating Devs take a look, test it please!

the link of that software is this one https://github.com/rajetic/auto_oculus_touch
zhl8duddmwu3.jpeg

Dan1018
Adventurer
Devs if possible test also the firmware 1.39 (the first one), I started noticing this problem since then next updates > 1.39.x. As well as other users.