New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift S black screen crashes and static noise

MakaruaMakarua Posts: 3
NerveGear

Hi,

I am having a problem with my new Oculus Rift S in which it will black screen randomly and i will hear a static noise as it does this. The system crashes on any game, and has been occurring at any time between 10 minutes after booting up the game, to 3 hours after booting up the game. Sometimes when the crash occurs I get a windows notification saying that the DisplayPort isn’t connected, but this doesn’t happen every time the system crashes.

Options used to try and rectify the situation which have failed:

·         Uninstalled and reinstalled the Oculus Software.

·         Repair the Oculus Software.

·         Uninstalled and reinstalled SteamVR.

·         Checked that SteamVR and oculus software are up to date which they are.

·         Checked that Windows 10 is up to date which it is.

·         Checked that my GPU driver is up to date which it is.

·         Checked that USB drivers are up to date which they are.

·         Tried every USB Socket on my laptop

·         Turned off Power Saving mode in Device Manager for all the USB sockets.

·         Disabled USB selective suspend setting in the Windows Power Options.

·         Checked the DisplayPort wire is properly connected to my laptop

·         Checked that the DisplayPort wire connection in the headset is connected properly.

·         Turned off Kaspersky

·         Turned off Razer Cortex Boost ( Which did stop the SteamVR games lagging )

·         Ran the Oculus software in Administrator.

·         Turned the volume on the Oculus Rift S down to 20% ( As some websites stated that loud noises can cause this problem)

·         Restarted the Oculus Service.

·         Restarted the Oculus Runtime Service.

These are my Laptops specifications:

GPU : NVIDIA GeGorce GTX 1060

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

Memory: 16GB

Motherboard: MSI  MS-1785

Comments

• MakaruaMakarua Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Rtas_ said:
    I have the same problem, except i hear a very high pitched buzzing before the ensuing black screen and tv static noise. Still waiting on a response from oculus support, however i believe it may have something to do with the latest oculus software update.
    What PC/Laptop do you have and what graphics card do you have ?
  • DewDurtTeaDewDurtTea Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited January 31
    I have this exact same issue and have also tried most of the things OP has listed.
  • DRCGamingDRCGaming Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    The same thing is happening to me. Would be nice if there was a fix for this.
  • BalaurtheraptorBalaurtheraptor Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same issue here. Only started happening about three weeks ago though. It has gotten really bad when playing Alyx. 
  • VierVonKreuzVierVonKreuz Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I started having these issues after I changed out my motherboard and processor about two weeks ago. I've tried the above fixes with no success, and wondering if it's a compatibility issue with the motherboard. My next step is probably going to be to buy a PCE USB expansion card and try running the Oculus through it.

My current specs are:
    PRIME X570-P (AM4)
    AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
    16gig RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

I hope a fix is discovered soon so I can get through more than an hour of HL: Alyx without having to restart my software.
  • afunfun22afunfun22 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem for me, it seems to be linked to a lot of stuff happening at once. I get this when I load into a new level in Half Life Alyx
  • ZacuterZacuter Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    same problem , Didn't have this problem before .. these very annoying me .. help can fix it soon 
    When I play for 30 minutes or an hour.
    Sometimes it can play for four or five hours, and it will lose the display connection....

• Andrewe1Andrewe1 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Just so people are aware, there's another thread in the support section with some of us having the exact same problem:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/87567/oculus-rift-s-problems-sensors-cant-track-headset-usb-device-not-recognized#latest

You guys are not alone, and it almost certainly is a software problem, not a hardware defect.

Oculus really screwed this product up. Right before the most important game in VR history.
  • glitchytreeglitchytree Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Glad to know I'm not the only one.
  • FaCarsFaCars Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I use PC to power it
    so here my spec

CPU : AMD Ryzen 1600x
    RAM : 16 GB
    Graphic Card : GTX 970
    Motherboard : Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 
    ( it have USB 3.1 Gen2 Type A and C , 5*USB 3.1 Gen1 , 1 Fatal1ty Mouse Port )

(im not good at eng so my grammar surely not correct)
    I had this problem before ,im bought it 1 month after it came out so i play about 10-20 min and my controller stuck in the air as everyone and then i tried solution how to fix it and everything is the same so i give up, until yesterday i tried usb port that design for mouse its for gaming mouse u can config it with program something like that and it work perfectly i can play for about 3-4 hr without problem. in that case i think its possible that my 3.1 Gen2 type A port and other usb are broken or not enough for minimum requirement like power or data transfer rate.
    maybe that usb slot have something special like hardware chip embedded to support for control gaming mouse, i don't know just guessing
    in laptop if it design for vr ... have DP port and usb 3.0 or 3.1 gen 1,2 it should work
    maybe look at camera permission in privacy setting 
  • JBSTheGamerJBSTheGamer Posts: 12
    Brain Burst
    Im having the same issue too i honestly gave up now. Waiting for my Valve index to ship anyways have fun with this garbage.
  • stealemarstealemar Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Exactly the same issues here. My audio hasn't worked properly on the Rift S since I got it either, keeps crashing and bringing the whole damn system down. Gone through all the same steps as you. Seemingly they are now having a more in-depth look at my logs, however, I've heard nothing back in a few days. It's really pissing me off as I want to play Half-Life Alyx without having to restart my whole system and reset everything every 5 to 10 mins.
  • STEALTHYJDSTEALTHYJD Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Exact same problem here, I recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3600 and a new motherboard to a msi 450 pro max aswell as a new Rtx 2060. Since the upgrade about a week ago my headset would cut out going black with a beep noise and then I would have to restart everything. My previous build with an i5 7500 and GTX 1060 with another motherboard never had these problems. I also get crackling audio on games too now. I really just wanted this upgrade to be perfect for my new upgrades but instead ive got all this nonesense that honestly makes VR so frustrating to play. A fix for this is needed ASAP, GET ON IT OCULUS
  • hugojordan23hugojordan23 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Exact same problem here, I recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 3600 and a new motherboard to a msi 450 pro max aswell as a new Rtx 2060. Since the upgrade about a week ago my headset would cut out going black with a beep noise and then I would have to restart everything. My previous build with an i5 7500 and GTX 1060 with another motherboard never had these problems. I also get crackling audio on games too now. I really just wanted this upgrade to be perfect for my new upgrades but instead ive got all this nonesense that honestly makes VR so frustrating to play. A fix for this is needed ASAP, GET ON IT OCULUS
     I have the same problem (with the beep noise, the sound of the headphones bugging all the time likes cracklings...). Since about 22-23 March, my headset keeps crashing every 5-15 mins depending on the game forcing me to reboot all the time. I'm waiting for another software update, otherwise I'll send my headset back for verification. 
  • MarkifyMarkify Posts: 13
    Brain Burst
    edited April 21
    yeah, I have the same problem.

Mostly when I'm playing active games like beat saber or superhot vr, and it happens between 5 - 20 minutes of playing. 

And I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling oculus, updating windows 10, updating drivers, and changing power settings.

And it still does the static sound and high pitched noise.

[ Edit ]

I've just noticed that my keyboard and mouse also turns off for a second when the headset does this.

• Crazycrazy103Crazycrazy103 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same problem. Is like a coronavirus for Rift s
  • GenesisValkyrieGenesisValkyrie Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Its not good that this is a common problem 
  • DeathbringerrrDeathbringerrr Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Its not good that this is a common problem 

Nope sure isnt and they still have yet to update the RIFT S. All support is going to Quest. Im about to give up and just buy an index. Maybe one day they will fix the RIft S. I doubt it though. They are abandoning Rift and Rift S for good and moving to the wireless platform. I bought this about two months ago and haven't been able to use it for more than an hour. Beep-Black-Reset-Hands stuck. Every hour or so.
    Brain Burst
    Damn quest
  • IIXJakeDoomXIIIIXJakeDoomXII Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 1
    well, all we can do now is just hope they fix it in the next software update, then next one, then the next one, then the one after that, and an infinite loop of hoping and not getting it.
    Brain Burst
    Bet their still gonna keep making updates for the quest and oculus link
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,157 Valuable Player
    edited May 2
    Markify said:
    Bet their still gonna keep making updates for the quest and oculus link
    It would seem of late that is where their main focus is. However one would think they would release the PTC first on the Quest rather than Rift due to that, or both at the same time.
    One would think they would want Quest users feedback on the PTC software since much of it seems to be focused
    on Quest now. I guess at least they do get Quest Link users feedback as it is.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Brain Burst
    But this is a common problem with the rift s
  • Potato_GodPotato_God Posts: 1
    NerveGear

Does anyone else here commonly unplug the headset before using it , it could possibly be a reason for it happening

Brain Burst
    Ok this this bullcrap, now it's doing this whenever I launch a game 
  • Shaggy6412Shaggy6412 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    R5 3600 gtx 2060 super. Upgraded from a 1060. Really starting to miss my 1060. Same BS
    Brain Burst
    *arms freeze* BEEEEEEEEP *static sound* *headset disconnects*
  • andrew.helmerandrew.helmer Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 14
    Same issue.

Got the Rift S for Christmas for my sons and it worked flawlessly until around February. Now it will play various lengths of time (depending on the game) before getting a screeching sound and crash to black screen.
    I had a 970GTX , and upgraded to a 2060RTX in January. It still worked fine for another month or so after the upgrade, so not sure if thats it.

So no response from Oculus? This is getting fairly ridiculous . I have a $400 paperweight that my sons REALLY want to play, but are disappointed they cant.
    Brain Burst
    Same here but mine started doing this at March