Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S black screen crashes and static noise

Makarua
Explorer

Hi,

I am having a problem with my new Oculus Rift S in which it
will black screen randomly and i will hear a static noise as it does this. The
system crashes on any game, and has been occurring at any time between 10
minutes after booting up the game, to 3 hours after booting up the game.
Sometimes when the crash occurs I get a windows notification saying that the
DisplayPort isn’t connected, but this doesn’t happen every time the system
crashes.

Options used to try and rectify the situation which have
failed:

·        Uninstalled and reinstalled the Oculus Software.

·        Repair the Oculus Software.

·        Uninstalled and reinstalled SteamVR.

·        Checked that SteamVR and oculus software are up to date which they are.

·        Checked that Windows 10 is up to date which it is.

·        Checked that my GPU driver is up to date which it is.

·        Checked that USB drivers are up to date which they are.

·        Tried every USB Socket on my laptop

·        Turned off Power Saving mode in Device Manager for all the USB sockets.

·        Disabled USB selective suspend setting in the Windows Power Options.

·        Checked the DisplayPort wire is properly connected to my laptop

·        Checked that the DisplayPort wire connection in the headset is connected properly.

·        Turned off Kaspersky

·        Turned off Razer Cortex Boost ( Which did stop the SteamVR games lagging )

·        Ran the Oculus software in Administrator.

·        Turned the volume on the Oculus Rift S down to 20% ( As some websites stated that loud noises can cause this problem)

·        Restarted the Oculus Service.

·        Restarted the Oculus Runtime Service.

These are my Laptops specifications:

GPU : NVIDIA GeGorce GTX 1060

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

Memory: 16GB

Motherboard: MSI  MS-1785

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BlueberrieSmoothie
Meta Quest Support
Meta Quest Support

Hey hey friends! I just wanted to chime in on this post since there have been so many people with this type of issue with their Rift S. I know it's never fun to have technical issues when you just want to have a great time in VR, so I am happy to help point everyone in the right direction here!

In all honesty, having this issue of the Rift S having a black screen/crashing/static noise can be caused by quite a few different things. That being said, I would like to share some helpful troubleshooting steps for those who haven't tried them yet:

• Make sure your PC meets the minimum requirements for use with Rift S.
  • Check that your drivers are all fully updated, most importantly for your GPU and USB.
  • Ensure that your cable and ports are not damaged (bent pins, twists, frays, kinks, etc.).
  • Remove any USB splitters/extensions, and third party adapters.
  • Verify that all your connections to the PC are secure. You may need to reseat the headset cable on both sides, connecting the USB cable first, and then the DisplayPort cable directly to the dedicated Graphics Card.
  • Try your headset on another compatible PC if possible.

If you're still having trouble with your Rift S after trying those steps, your best bet is going to be to reach out to the support team. To do this, you can either send a PM to @MetaQuestSupport here on the Forums, or you can open a support ticket yourself here: https://metaque.st/Support.

Make sure you smash that Kudos button!

View solution in original post

104 REPLIES 104

Rtas_
Honored Guest
I have the same problem, except i hear a very high pitched buzzing before the ensuing black screen and tv static noise. Still waiting on a response from oculus support, however i believe it may have something to do with the latest oculus software update.

Makarua
Explorer

Rtas_ said:

I have the same problem, except i hear a very high pitched buzzing before the ensuing black screen and tv static noise. Still waiting on a response from oculus support, however i believe it may have something to do with the latest oculus software update.

What PC/Laptop do you have and what graphics card do you have ?

DewDurtTea
Honored Guest
I have this exact same issue and have also tried most of the things OP has listed.

DRCGaming
Honored Guest
The same thing is happening to me. Would be nice if there was a fix for this.

Balaurtheraptor
Honored Guest
Same issue here. Only started happening about three weeks ago though. It has gotten really bad when playing Alyx. 

VierVonKreuz
Honored Guest
I started having these issues after I changed out my motherboard and processor about two weeks ago. I've tried the above fixes with no success, and wondering if it's a compatibility issue with the motherboard. My next step is probably going to be to buy a PCE USB expansion card and try running the Oculus through it.

My current specs are:
PRIME X570-P (AM4)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
16gig RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

I hope a fix is discovered soon so I can get through more than an hour of HL: Alyx without having to restart my software.

afunfun22
Honored Guest
Same problem for me, it seems to be linked to a lot of stuff happening at once. I get this when I load into a new level in Half Life Alyx

Zacuter
Honored Guest
same problem , Didn't have this problem before .. these very annoying me .. help can fix it soon 
When I play for 30 minutes or an hour.
Sometimes it can play for four or five hours, and it will lose the display connection....

Andrewe1
Protege
Just so people are aware, there's another thread in the support section with some of us having the exact same problem:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/87567/oculus-rift-s-problems-sensors-cant-track-hea...

You guys are not alone, and it almost certainly is a software problem, not a hardware defect.

Oculus really screwed this product up. Right before the most important game in VR history.