New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Brand new Oculus Go overheating

BlueJarheadBlueJarhead Posts: 1
NerveGear
Brand new Oculus go overheating after about 30 minutes of use. The unit is not plugged in. Not streaming video. Using the browser interface, and another app that accesses Google maps and 360 views. Unusual for unit to overheat like this I would think?

I have ordered a CPU fan from Amazon, and plan to attach it to the front of the unit to try to cool it. But this seems to be excessive heating?

Can someone from Oculus please comment, and describe why this is happening?

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,432 Valuable Player
    If you want support I suggest you contact Oculus Support and start a ticket.  Mine only gets warm under normal use or if I use it with the charger plugged in when battery levels are lower than ~80%.  Maybe fully charge yours before using it.  Also, try removing that outside app and see if that helps.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• Steves808Steves808 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    With my Oculus Go, I’m having really good luck with 2.5 X 2.5 inch heatsink from a computer CPU, tied 3/4 inch left of the horizontal center.  Nylon cord making an X going through the fins and loop though the bases of the left and right head straps.  Made a loop on each end of the cord and used a plastic cable tie to get it tight.
  • JulietteRobertJulietteRobert Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have bought the Go one month ago, overheating problem.Then I got a new one, after 50 min it shut down, overheated.This is a structual problem.But NO refund!!Now I have ordered the Quest.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,631 Volunteer Moderator
    Just to be sure, you've peeled the plastic film off the front, right? That aluminum plate is the heatsink, and it won't be able to cool the headset if it's insulated with plastic.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0