New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Just ordered a Pimax 8KX (Some CES Reviews)

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,967 Valuable Player
edited January 9 in General
It has been getting good feedback from CES so I ordered the PIMAX 8KX right away so I can report back here to you guys as soon as I get it. Probably around March/April. Luckily by ditching all my backer rewards (I already have basestation and Valve controllers) I got mine for $609 (RRP is $1299). Hopefully I can avoid import taxes.

Long Live VR!

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/pimax-vision-8k-x-vr-headset

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/pimax-8k-x-vr-headset-ces-2020-hands-on-price-photos-video-release-date/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXwyRdqSJZY

Here's a link so you can check specs.

https://store.pimaxvr.com/shop/product/pimax-vision-8k-x-vr-headset-384?_ga=2.31204023.96234807.1578504131-1515201560.1578504131

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
Tagged:

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,914 Volunteer Moderator
    Ouch, $2664au.
    But I guess that's one way to get Index controllers and base stations into australia, since Valve still won't sell them to us direct but Pimax says they will bundle them for australia.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,967 Valuable Player
    That's £1,399.87 Kojack. 

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,297 Valuable Player
    Guess your Reverb was getting old and dusty!  :D  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited January 9
    But really not bad - 200 degrees fov, about 2 x Reverb res. Basically same as Index res 200% (17 mill pixels per image) - but that's 4x native Index res. Boneworks will probably work great, and you can use the Index controllers - looking forward to your review! $1400 with deluxe audio if you already got Index controllers aren't that bad, but good luck with Stormland and Asgard's Wrath ;)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• PluckeyOnePluckeyOne Posts: 27
    Brain Burst

edited January 9
    My main aim will certainly be to compare with the Reverb as that's the current market leader as far as clarity is concerned. I had it pegged as being about the same quality but with the wider FOV. It will be interesting to compare. Swevivor made some through the lens comparisons, you see it on the pages as Brand H but they weren't optimal images for the Reverb. Interesting they simply called it Brand H. 

@kojack if you're interested in an Index shipped down under (no controllers though) then I might sell it.  ;)

8KX with dynamic foveated rendering!

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,749 Valuable Player
    edited January 10
    Looking forward to reading your review, Shadow! I like that I can stay informed on the latest and greatest without having to spend the $$$ myself! lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Is it me or in the pic that our mutual friend posted, the pimax still looks "cheap" doesn't have that shiny new gizmo look about it. ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

I think they are going for the Vive Pro bluey look. You can also add different facias/covers for personalization. The materials are not the same as the cheap plastic of the original. Generally more ruggedized from those that tried it. That's also a pretty poor photo, totally out of focus of what looks to be a rather battered show-floor device.  Apparently the chevron on the front is a shiny silver. I hope the finished product looks more like the render image Rune posted. If not, then I agree it looks a bit cheap and plastic-like. I am not really a fan of the angular design either, but appreciate it's not about how the device looks when you wear it. Screw what outsiders think.

Totally agree, a lot depends on you now mate. I may abandon the Reverb if you recommend ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

edited January 10
    Oh me too. I said a while back somewhere on the Interwebs that I would liken the 8KX to the same visual quality as the Reverb but with the wider field of view. I think I would be happy with that as long as the dreaded eye-strain doesn't become an issue like before. However, since owning the 8K, Pimax has improved their Pitool software quite a bit to counteract IPD settings discrepancies.  That said, on paper the 8KX has the potential to look even better than the Reverb and might just do that if it can have a larger area of clarity in the center of the lenses.  Reverb is quite small in this regard.

Stay tuned folks. My eyes are ready!

edited January 10
    Slightly off-topic. but in relation to that horrible photo. I just got one of these. That's a P1000. I am learning but either the person taking the photo was shaking with excitement or they should have used a narrower aperture to lessen the dof? Maybe it's just a horrible photo.

• MegalithikMegalithik Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    8K Pimax paired with Knuclkes controllers is prob the best VR experience you can get right now if money is no object.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,875 Valuable Player
    edited January 10
    Good luck, hope it goes well Shadow!

edit: that sounds like i'm waving you off to war or something, not sure why...
    that sounds like i'm waving you off to war or something, not sure why...
    I kinda remember why...
    dat pimax forum... https://community.openmr.ai/

24-3000mm on one lens is pretty crazy.
    I can get to 1800mm by putting a 3x teleconverter on my 150-600mm Sigma lens (on a Canon 5D Mark III). Although it weighs a ton and makes me look like a paparazzi. Plus the teleconverter is a cheap one, so it ruins the image quality.

8K Pimax paired with Knuclkes controllers is prob the best VR experience you can get right now if money is no object.
    The latest Xtal is probably better though. It's also mislabeled as 8K, has Steamvr tracking, 180 degree fov, eye tracking and ultraleap hand tracking.

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,875 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    that sounds like i'm waving you off to war or something, not sure why...
    I kinda remember why...
    dat pimax forum... https://community.openmr.ai/

Yeah, of course i know why - it's Primarx!

edited January 10
    kojack said:
    24-3000mm on one lens is pretty crazy.
    I can get to 1800mm by putting a 3x teleconverter on my 150-600mm Sigma lens (on a Canon 5D Mark III). Although it weighs a ton and makes me look like a paparazzi. Plus the teleconverter is a cheap one, so it ruins the image quality.

Just took this earlier. Wolf Moon through flat window (not the cleanest of glass) manual focus. I know this camera can take better shots. Not bad for a first attempt.

Nice.

If you wait for a partial moon, the craters at the edge will have shadows and you can make them out clearer.

The most far object I've photographed: Jupiter with 4 moons visible:

Although going slightly off topic now. Umm, Space Engine is a cool VR program. :)
    (Maybe we need an "official" photography thread, like all the other "official" threads)

+1 with my old trusty 650D and my IS 70-200 canon lens  B)

So cool the reverse image kojack from the southern hemisphere.

• ohgrantohgrant Posts: 252
    Nexus 6
     Looking forward to your review, I do value yours and others hardware reviews I read here. I just picked up a re-certified Reverb for $450 from Amazon. I probably wouldn't have considered it if it weren't for the reviews here.  I was originally planning to get an Index HS only, but they have been showing out of stock since shortly after release. I've also read things here that gives me pause about it, for the price
     I love the Reverb for what I'm using it for in spite of it's shortcomings, controllers and towing cable.
     I think now that Pimax has had some time to overcome their initial shortcomings with software and quality, the 8KX might set a standard for gen 2.0.
     Hope to hear a great review but I'm sure you'll give it straight either way. 

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor. UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
    snowdog said:
    as long as you post nekked pictures of your wives and girlfriends
    ooh lala

Come on Zen a bit of wifey cosplay is all good. You could recreate that exact pose the pair of you!

So cool the reverse image kojack from the southern hemisphere.

@JeremyC85  you found this comment funny? I was wondering if I got my science mixed up then.  Kojack is based in Australia I believe which means his image of the moon is in reverse of the one I took from London unless I have it all wrong. Something to do with the Earth's tilt. Correct me if I am wrong. Excuse me if I am being stupid.

edited January 11
    @JeremyC85  you found this comment funny? I was wondering if I got my science mixed up then.  Kojack is based in Australia I believe which means his image of the moon is in reverse of the one I took from London unless I have it all wrong. Something to do with the Earth's tilt. Correct me if I am wrong. Excuse me if I am being stupid.
    Yep, that's correct. We see it opposite ways.

But also:

:)

(I wonder just how off topic this thread will get before your Pimax arrives?)