cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've found a bug causing the bad performance in 12+ firmware

Mazda_Ron
Expert Protege
Hi, I've posted this over on oculus Reddit but I am unable to link. Title I FIXED ALL MY V12 UPDATE PERFORMANCE ISSUES

The thread has a video showing the bug which works both ways

what I've found is that I've had low performance headroom since v12 and still on 12.1 by monitoring the performance HUD through oculus debug tool

To fix this I have discovered that toggling the adaptive GPU performance scaling via oculus debug tool to off does not do anything, but when you attempt to toggle back to default, you only have to get as far as clicking on the drop box and depending on if you have low performance headroom ie 30% it will immediately shoot up to 60% or whatever value you had previous to V12 firmware.

I've also found that you cannot repeat a drop or gain once it's happened via this method until a power cycle, I don't think it's one or either settings that cause lower or higher but rather a bug in the firmware that hasn't detected it correctly.

In the case you've already got the performance headroom you expect ie 60% doing this will actually cause it to drop to 30%   showing the issue present since 12.0 

I was curious as to why people were suggesting disabling asw to stop stuttering and frame drops, but this would explain it, the headroom is missing so all your games using higher settings and supersampling have much less use of the GPU it had access to before and if asw is enabled you will be sitting in that, turning it off and being close to low or minus headroom causes the stutters and dropped frames and isn't really a fix like this is.

Hopefully someone can at least link my post and one of the Devs or support team here so they can see what's going on, another user has also confirmed this bug and fixed the performance.

Thanks, Aran.
Cv1 and quest link user, computer and driver's fully upto date and only had issues since v12 which i can resolve with this trick
1 REPLY 1

Mazda_Ron
Expert Protege