New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift CV1 Cable Repair Solution (Maybe)

JustenBJustenB Posts: 3
NerveGear
I found a handy little device that lets you rewire on a new HDMI Male port with some "easy" wire work. Amazon [HDMI Adapter signals Terminal Breakout Plastic Cover Terminal Breakout Board Connector]

I've wired my house up with Cat5 and this looks the same except the wires are much thinner. Is there any available wiring information or diagrams for the Oculus Rift CV1's HDMI port? This video helps if you need to learn how to do it and the tools you will need.

Tagged:

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,747 Valuable Player
    Maybe ask Oculus Support since they have said that the cv1 wiring details have been made public quite a while ago in the hope that 3rd party would produce these.  Also, there is a USB component within the cable as well so I doubt this little adapter is going to fix anything.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,999 Volunteer Moderator
    Here's an interesting article on the internals of the CV1 cable and an attempt at repairs: https://www.briandorey.com/post/oculus-rift-broken-cable-repair-attempt

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,747 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Here's an interesting article on the internals of the CV1 cable and an attempt at repairs: https://www.briandorey.com/post/oculus-rift-broken-cable-repair-attempt

Ya, that was a good attempt but no cigar, lol!  Thanks for sharing this mate.  I'm just so glad I got a spare from Oculus before they ran out.  I don't play a lot of standing/twisting games so hopefully I will never need it.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,999 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, working with 0.12mm twisted pair wires isn't exactly fun.
    I've run over my CV1 cable with my chair so many times over the last 3.5 years. Still works fine.

At least the CV1 cable was detachable. I've probably throw away headphones totaling more than my CV1 cost because their cables broke and were permanently attached. (Not hard to out cost it when I used $200au sennheiser (for portable) and $300au audio technica (for PC) headphones).