cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too much horse power required to run Oculus Link | Freezing (Solved)!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello
Wanted to share my experience with Oculus Link, have buy i Chinese cable 3m it works everything connects i tested only in Oculus home around 5 minutes the GPU heats allot the fans spin fast and the Oculus home hangs to reset must disconnect/reconnect the USB cable, so you can't stay much there because of this heat issue. Then i have tear down my GPU card and found out after removed the heat sink that the paste is hard ass cement, i took some wool and thinner and cleaned it careful and have apply new paste assembled and put back together, have run the Oculus link now it works no more hang in the Oculus Home but the fans spin very fast and the temp is always 70/71C and stay like this.
Do you people think this is normal? I doubt the integrated GPU of Oculus is better than my PC, i understand it works in a more direct way without Link but still this is awful experience i m afraid my GPU does not burn.
My PC specs are here, though not the latest test: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20433679
P.s. i think this is why allot of users have issues because their PC's have low hardware, the PC specs recommended by Oculus Link are too low but in the reality there is needed more.

17 REPLIES 17

I've edited you post so the link works @iTesla8

I haven't yet used Link with my Quest as I'm using the Rift-S for PC VR but your specs don't look bad. Interested to hear what other 1070 users' Link experience is.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't yet used Link with my Quest as I'm using the Rift-S for PC VR but your specs don't look bad. Interested to hear what other 1070 users' Link experience is.

Thank you for that, i also would be interestred what other users say if they have such GPU card.

LordZeroGameMas
Protege

My laptop is basically the same as his system. I have only tried Skyrim VR that was flawless and Asgard's Wrath that was choppy. It looked fine on my pc monitor but inside the Quest it had kind of microstutters.

I don't think it was that related to the actual game performance as changing settings all the way to low did nothing to aliviate the sensation of lack of fluidity.

I played for a good hour and i guess i grew accustomed very quickly, but watching gameplays on youtube, i figured out that it was in fact not as smooth as it should be. 

UserBenchmarks: Game 67%, Desk 70%, Work 50%
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ - 64.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (Mobile) - 73.3%
SSD: Kingston RBU-SNS8152S3256GG6 256GB - 89.2%
SSD: Kingston A1000 NVMe PCIe M.2 480GB - 134.6%
RAM: Kingston MSI24D4S7D8MH-16 1x16GB - 41.3%
MBD: MSI MS-16P1

ohgrant
Superstar
 I would say by your system, that you should be able to get great results with the link cable with your PC. The one component that is equally as important to Oculus  working as the CPU and GPU,  is the USB controller. I upgraded to a Star Tech 3.1 10 gps USB-C card. You and I have comparable systems I think you'll get it worked out with yours.
My results 
 UserBenchmarks: Game 109%, Desk 85%, Work 90%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 83.6%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 134.3%
SSD:  Micron_1100_MTFDDAK2T0TBN 2TB - 93%
SSD: SanDisk X400 1TB - 90.6%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 98.1%
RAM: G.SKILL Flare X DDR4 3200 C14 2x8GB - 45.9%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3-CF

One thing that comes to mind with your results was your desktop resolution. 3840 x 2160?  I'm not sure if it will help, but try setting your desktop res to 1920*1080, then try the link.
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

UserBenchmarks: Game 67%, Desk 70%, Work 50%
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ - 64.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (Mobile) - 73.3%
SSD: Kingston RBU-SNS8152S3256GG6 256GB - 89.2%
SSD: Kingston A1000 NVMe PCIe M.2 480GB - 134.6%
RAM: Kingston MSI24D4S7D8MH-16 1x16GB - 41.3%
MBD: MSI MS-16P1

BTW, the i7-7700HQ is by no means the same as a desktop i7-7700K, the 7700K is much faster:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/3647vsm211019

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-7700HQ-vs-Intel-i7-7700K/2906vs2874

- and don't think you've got a real GTX 1070 if you got the mobile version - at least according to these results:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1070-Mobile-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1070/m164129vs3609

I don't think Oculus Link has too high system requirements, but some users may be using way too slow hardware. Personally I'd probably never use a laptop for VR. Just using 3200 MHz ram instead of 2400 MHz increased my cpu speed about 10%, which is really a lot - using a laptop you may not even be using 2400 MHz for the 7700HQ, and it all adds up. 
That said, iff you can run Oculus Link with these very low laptop specs (at least for the cpu), it does seem specs for running Oculus Link may be similar to using Rift-S or CV1 - and not higher. 

If the OP has problems using i7 7700K, GTX 1070 (non-mobile) and 2400 MHz ram, then his rig may suffer from some special/unique problems. The OP should be able to use Oculus Link flawlessly - but it is the beta:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-quest-pc-requirements-oculus-link-minimum-specs/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

KoshIreland
Explorer
For anyone seeing choppy playback in Link, but Mirror showing 72fps, then try reducing the pixel density settings: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/83561/oculus-link-resolution-with-v12/p1

It turned my Link from unplayable to consistently smooth (so long as the game itself is running smoothly at 72fps).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone, thank you very much for your input, i have found out my problem may lay in the cheap USB cable that i have buy from aliexpress also it is 3m long and this is not enough for me, i have ordered another more thick 8m cable it has 2 USB A connectors to 1 USB C conn, hope it will provide the needed power if not will return it back.
My main problem is i live in a poor country that is why i can't buy original cable, on ebay i found it cost with shipment 200USD that is very expensive for a cable.
Also i m thinking because i m a technician i can make my own USB cable with proper copper wires and solder them if the chinese cables will not work, and i think for the best experience the cable must be hanging from the top in the room.
Will post updates what will work for me.
Thank you!
P.s. i felt warm from the USB cable but i m not sure if it was the cable or something else.

Heat in a cable is generally not a good sign. Either means there's a fault, causing overcurrent, or if the current is ok, the cores are undersized.

I think I'm going to invest in a USB multimeter and start doing some tests. I don't remember seeing figures for headset power consumption, so I'm curious to get some definitive figures. I read somewhere 5W but that sounds low especially if simultaneously charging a low battery. Copper core size would be good to know for various USB cables but I doubt that's listed in specs. Probably could determine by measurement.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Heat in a cable is generally not a good sign. Either means there's a fault, causing overcurrent, or if the current is ok, the cores are undersized.

I think I'm going to invest in a USB multimeter and start doing some tests. I don't remember seeing figures for headset power consumption, so I'm curious to get some definitive figures. I read somewhere 5W but that sounds low especially if simultaneously charging a low battery. Copper core size would be good to know for various USB cables but I doubt that's listed in specs. Probably could determine by measurement.

I have tested through a USB dongle but Quest is detect as USB 2 in Oculus software so i can't test in game, it was taking around 2.51W in such state.
So for sure this cable is poor quality, will have to write in the Link Cable thread again so people don't buy it because i have think it is good.