New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Onward VR isnt starting up correctly

Charlie9285Charlie9285 Posts: 7
NerveGear
I recently purchased and installed Onward. But now whenever I hit the "start" button to play the game through oculus, my lenses in my Rift S headset go black, and the red LED appears in my headset. Rain audio starts playing through my headset yet nothing appears. Then my game just crashes. How do I fix this?

Comments

• MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 503
    Neo
    I recently purchased and installed Onward. But now whenever I hit the "start" button to play the game through oculus, my lenses in my Rift S headset go black, and the red LED appears in my headset. Rain audio starts playing through my headset yet nothing appears. Then my game just crashes. How do I fix this?
    Onward is currently on Steam correct? If no one can help you here, you should check the Steam forums for Onward. Sometimes I have to start a Steam game from within Steam to get it to start up correctly. 
  • Charlie9285Charlie9285 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    I have read many things about starting it through steam yet I got it through the oculus store. I am debating whether I should refund it and get it through steam but I wanted to look at all my options if I can fix the problem
    Neo
    I have read many things about starting it through steam yet I got it through the oculus store. I am debating whether I should refund it and get it through steam but I wanted to look at all my options if I can fix the problem
    When the game is on both platforms you should always choose Steam. Just look through all the threads here where people get no help to their problems. Generally you want your game to use the Oculus SDK, and if a game is released on both platforms it will. 

Is this the only game you are having issues with? Sounds like a USB power issue, which 90 percent of all these problems are. 
    NerveGear
    Maxxgold said:
    When the game is on both platforms you should always choose Steam. Just look through all the threads here where people get no help to their problems. Generally you want your game to use the Oculus SDK, and if a game is released on both platforms it will. 

Is this the only game you are having issues with? Sounds like a USB power issue, which 90 percent of all these problems are. 
    This is the only game I have issues on. I purchased it on steam and attempted to start it up through there as well. Same issues. It is loading, and then screen goes gray and then the red led comes on in my headset (Indicating a problem) and then the game program crashes and goes back to oculus home on my monitor.

Neo
    Make sure your Oculus software is running, and have Steam open. Then just start Onward from Steam. Also, maybe play another Steam VR game first, and then try to start Onward. 
    NerveGear
    Ive been attempting that using pavlov. Steam VR works fine. Im trying to find if it is something wrong with my computer due to the fact that it doesnt work through both systems. It looks to be allowed through the firewall, could it be anything else?
    Neo
    Maybe just reinstall Onward. Also, is there a beta option for Onward? If so, you can try activating that. 
    NerveGear
    Ive attempted to reinstall. (Both SteamVR and oculus) and didnt work. And no there is not a beta option.
  • MrDeath_MrDeath_ Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    Hi Charlie! We (downpour interactive) don't really use the oculus forums for troubleshooting people who get issues with the game. Maybe we should look into it some more! :)

Could you share your system specs with me?

NerveGear
    i7 8700K 3.7GHZ 
    16.0 GB RAM
    GTX 2070 NVIDIA grahic card
  • MrDeath_MrDeath_ Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    thanks for the info! Could you try the following?
    Hold down CTRL and launch Onward. keep CTRL held down until a small white window appears. select the lowest settings in the option menu and click launch.

let me know if the issue persists. 
    NerveGear
    Hi,
    Im sorry it has taken me so long to respond but the I attempted to hold ctrl on stratup and the issue keeps happening. I tried it numerous times and my graphics were set to the lowest they can go with it still crashing.