New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S USB connection/Reset USB Port

KekonautKekonaut Posts: 4
NerveGear
edited January 17 in Support
Hey.
since several weeks, the USB connection of my Rift S isn´t working. In Windows 10 Device manager, the Port doesn´t recognize my Rift S and it says something like "Unable to reset USB Port/Recognize USB port" (I´m german :-/). 

This happens everytime I start my Computer.
I can solve this temporarely by disconnecting the Rift-USB Cable from my system, deactivate/reactivate the USB Port in the Device Manager and plug in the Rift again. I have to do that a few time and sooner or later the connection is back.

I´ve tried many many things to solve this issue.

- Reinstalled USB 3.0 Drivers for my MB (MSI Z390 Gaming Plus)
- Used different USB 3.0/3.1 ports from my MB
- Tried the Oculus Beta Feature in the Software
- Use a USB C 3.0 Adapter Cable (USBA 3.0 to USB-C 3.0) :Used the USB-C port from my Mainboard and tried the one integrated in my ASUS RTX2080.
- Updated the BIOS (MB)
- Used a registry cleaner
- Reinstalled Iculus Software
- Played around with some settings in BIOS and OS: USB Legacy support, XHCI(?) Hand Off and so on.
- Updated Everything on my Computer Windows/Rift/Firmware/BIOS.

There is no solution and at this time, I´m pretty sure that there is a Problem with the Rift and the provided Intel/Windows USB 3.0 Driver. I´ve read that intel doesn´t offer the drivers anymore and they are provided by Microsoft now. Someone said, this issue came along with a Windows 10 Update - 1903(?).

This drives me crazy and I hope Oculus will take notice of this issue - I´m not the only one with this issue.

Another Info: I picked up a brandnew Rift S last Week because I´ve had some Lens issues, so changing the Rift S doesn´t solve the problem.

My System:
I7 [email protected]
64GB Ram 3200
Asus RTX2080
MSI Z390 Gaming Plus Motherboard
SSD M2 Drives.

I´m happy for any new idea that might help.
Regards.

Edit: Logfile uploaded

Comments

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 338
    Art3mis
    What edition and build of windows are you using.
    also take a look here https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/57288/oculussetup-fails
    Oculus Rift S (love it)
    Oculus Quest 128GB (Loving it too)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK 
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz
    GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
    16 GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Oculus app version 14.0.0.83.710 (14.0.0.83.710)
    Art3mis
    What edition and build of windows are you using.
    also take a look here https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/57288/oculussetup-fails
    Oculus Rift S (love it)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK 
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz
    GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
    16 GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1TB SSD
  • KekonautKekonaut Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited January 17
    Hey. I´m using WIndows 10 Home Version 1909 (Build 18363.592). I don´t have any installation issues. Only the USB connector from the Rift S which doesn´t work when I start my Computer. In 90% of Windows boots, the USB port doesn´t recognize/isn´t able to reset the port. Device not migrated. I have to deactivate the USB port in Dev.Manager, unplug the Rift and reactivate the USB Port.  sometimes it works instantly, sometimes I have do do this 10 times until the plugged in Rift S is found by the USB port. Really - I don´t know what to try next. I don´t have any issues that relates to a firewall problem or something else. I use GData total Security - Even if I deactivcate everything (Firewall/Antivirus), it doesnt work.
    NerveGear
    I thought any Oculus Support Team staff is reviewing the Threads in here but isn´t? The Problem really bothers me. 
    Art3mis
    Support do read the forum, but generally wont pick up on individual cases.  The only advice I can offer is to turn your PC off, and unplug every USB device.  Turn the computer on, start Oculus - wait until it has fully loaded, then plug the Rift S in to a USB 3 port. Allow some time for it all to settle, then put the headset on.  Give it a few moments to turn on (once mine took a minute to turn on fully). Try all the USB ports allowing time for the system to settle after each one.

Also - make sure that ALL firewalls and antivirus are off, even windows defender and windows firewall (re-boot after you have switched them off) and then follow the advice above.  If it fails you should open a ticket with support.  Let us know how you get on.
    Oculus Rift S (love it)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK 
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz
    GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
    16 GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1TB SSD
    NerveGear
    edited January 20
    Thanks, I will try these steps (again). I´ve almost done everything you´ve described, even bought a USBA 3.0 to USBC Adapter cable and used it with the MB USBC Port and the RTX2080 USBC port. It doesn´t matter what USB Port I use (of course it has to be 3.x) after reboot, the plugged in RIFT S isn´t recognized. Sometimes it works when I unplug the display and USB conector and reconnect both - And give them some time. But some weeks ago, I had no issues with it.

I will try the Antivirus/Firewall stuff in more depth today. For my Addon (GData Total Security) I´ve already tested it (Disabled Antivirus/Firewall/Autopilot (automated Port forwarding). I didn´t consider searching for Windows Antivirus/Firewall stuff because I thought there were disabled by using third Party Software.

Will give it a try. Thanks mate.
  • ubini.tathamubini.tatham Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi,
    Did you find any solution with your USB problem? I have the same one since last update.
  • ubini.tathamubini.tatham Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited January 25
    Thank to Ryan from support chat who helped me.
    I had to install the Public Test Channel version, unplug both sides of my Rift S cable (Rift side and PC side) and plug it (both side again ;-D) and now it's working just fine.
    Have fun !