New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Serenity VR [SteamVR] Updated 4/19/2018

kavehthkavehth Posts: 28
Brain Burst
edited April 2018 in Showcase
Update 04.19.2018:

after a very long time I've finally released a new version.
I've pretty much remade everything and added a lot of new stuff including a lot of interaction using the controllers
you can download it here: https://kavehth.itch.io/serenity-vr

Update 09.03.2014:

[*] updated to SDK 0.4.1
[*] added the cargo hold
[*] improved textures and added a lot of detail
[*] added intro
[*] added dynamic sun light

you can use objects that turn yellow with the left mouse button or the "a" button
when in the pilot chair you can rotate the ship with WASD
you can toggle VSync with "V"
you can toggle the sky light with "L"

Hi all,
Ever since I found out about the oculus I thought I would be really incredible if I could walk inside Serenity from the tv show Firefly, so about a year ago I start using unity and for my first project I decided to build the interior of the ship. I am modelling from the film version of the ship and trying to be as accurate as possible.
It’s been going pretty slow but here is what I have so far

I’ve modeled other areas of the ship but I haven’t added any details yet.
If anyone is interested in helping out just let me know.
6.jpg 168.8K
3.jpg 166.8K
1.jpg 221.7K

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Amazing!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    Looks great, very excited to see more of this! I can just imagine the long neck of the ship from your hallway there.

I know there's been a few interpretations of how the ship is laid out and how it fits within the exterior hull, so I'm sure that part's a big challenge, huh?
  • EndaEnda Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    Nice, can't wait to try that out, hallway looks great.
    Enda
  • kavehthkavehth Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Thanks
    drash wrote:
    Looks great, very excited to see more of this! I can just imagine the long neck of the ship from your hallway there.

I know there's been a few interpretations of how the ship is laid out and how it fits within the exterior hull, so I'm sure that part's a big challenge, huh?

if you look from the outside the hallway should be a bit longer, but i wanted it to look just like the movie.

here are some more shots

8.jpg 132.4K
    4.jpg 189.3K
    5.jpg 174.5K
  • DillonRobinsonDillonRobinson Posts: 167
    Hiro Protagonist
    Phenomenal! You don't even need a game around this - it would be great to just wander a polished and atmospheric version of that ship.
  • hudcrabhudcrab Posts: 62
    Brain Burst
    I am thrilled to see this project underway. I can't wait to walk around Serenity!
  • Shiny!!
  • jrbmjrbm Posts: 120
    And The Brown Coats Shall Rise Again!I Love the series.
    Great job, looks very familiar! :)
  • jayohjayoh Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    very cool. i'm certainly giving this a spin when you release it!
  • VRDaveVRDave Posts: 6
    Yes! This! Between this and the Star Trek experiences, I'm going to be able to live out my childhood and teenage fantasies in no time!

Are you planning on building the exterior as well? Or at least wrapping your interior models with a decent exterior one? I would flip out if I could walk up to the Serenity, open the bay doors and then walk inside all the way up to the bridge.

Keep it up!
  • smsithlordsmsithlord Posts: 64
    OMG I do want. I only wish you made it in Source engine so I could build an arcade in there to use the Firefly as my 3d desktop. :D
  • GollygeewizardGollygeewizard Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Looks great! If you need/want any help with this project just send me a PM!
  • KenzieKenzie Posts: 118
    Very cool! Looking forward to being able to experience Serenity :D
  • AlphaOmegaAlphaOmega Posts: 26
    Let me know what you need friend.
  • Hicks613Hicks613 Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    This is bound to be the most anticipated experiences in the 'verse! :lol:
    Brain Burst
    sorry i haven't posted anything for a while, I've been busy polishing so that i can release a demo of some of the areas of the ship, hopefully i can release something in the next week or so. for now here is a shot of my progress so far
    Brain Burst
    Thanks for posting kavehth.
    I was going to give you till tomorrow (1 month since the original post) before demanding an update :p

I can't wait... but also take you're time to get it right...

SQUEEE!
  • tagindataginda Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    Give me cows in the storage bay!

Looks awesome though mate, very much looking forward to this.

To me what would be really cool is if as you enter each room perhaps is could trigger some audio of a classic moment that once happened in that room, almost as a tribute to a brilliant series.

So perhaps in the medibay you could have the moment when they tell Simon that Kaylee is dead and then all fall about laughing (The moment when I realised how much I was going to enjoy this show).

Food for thought anyway :)
    Brain Burst
    Yeah, audio clips might be nice.

Also - don't forget about Inara's shuttle!
  • lmaceleightonlmaceleighton Posts: 293
    Hiro Protagonist
    Nice job! I should have you work for us, your attention to detail is great. We are currently(slowly) working on the city of atlantis(Stargate). Hope to see more from this:O)
  • OculusOpticianOculusOptician Posts: 253
    Brain Burst
    Wouldn't be cool if TV producers made downloadable VR experiences for each season on the shows homepage to help boost interest?

Imagine a Game Of Thrones or Walking Dead experience where you could tour actual locations to scale. There seems to be a huge demand for this right now with so many fan based TV experiences to date.
    Brain Burst
    here is a demo of the four areas that I've made so far, there is still a lot that i want to add to these areas and there are a lot of things that need improving so keep that in mind.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqcv45paex4cp96/SerenityVR_PC_0.1.zip

the bridge still needs a lot of work, there are so many controls that it takes a long time to build. right now i have mirrored the two sides of the bridge but they should be completely different.

the forward hallway is pretty much completed but i haven't made any of the rooms yet.

the messhall also needs a lot of work, right now it is pretty empty.

you can use objects that turn yellow with the left mouse button or the "a" button, right now you can only use the doors and the pilot's chair.

let me know what you think and thanks for all the support.
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    I think this is beautiful. :) This delivers a LOT more than I was expecting given its limited WIP state. It really is amazing how many rooms can be cram into this hull. Nice work, I hope you keep going with it and thank you for sharing it with us.

:)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Downloading now, really excited for this.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • grodenglaivegrodenglaive Posts: 395
    Brain Burst
    Awesome work. It looks great so far, just needs some plastic dinosaurs. :D
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-model/animal/dinosaur
    GA-Z97X-gaming gt; i5-4670k; Nvidia780Ti; 16GB PC3-17066; win7-64 bit; DK2
    Brain Burst
    Not sure if this is just my work network - but the dropbox link seems to be down/unavailable?
    Brain Burst
    hudcrab wrote:
    Not sure if this is just my work network - but the dropbox link seems to be down/unavailable?
    it works fine for me.
    Brain Burst
    Oh, OK, I think it's just my network. Almost as if my workplace doesn't want me downloading random files!
  • WhelanWebWhelanWeb Posts: 584
    Just uploaded a video for this.

Edmund ( Hudcrab ) is a massive fan of the show. I really must start watching it myself as I have never seen it. Hopefully I captured the spirit of the show with the video editing.

Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site.

http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com