New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Serenity VR [SteamVR] Updated 4/19/2018

Comments

• hudcrabhudcrab Posts: 62
    Brain Burst
    WhelanWeb wrote:
    I really must start watching it myself as I have never seen it.

Madness!
  • WhelanWebWhelanWeb Posts: 584
    hudcrab wrote:
    WhelanWeb wrote:
    I really must start watching it myself as I have never seen it.

Madness!

Probably :)

I'm a massive Trek and Battlestar fan so I am unsure why I missed this. I'll give it a whirl over the weekend.
    Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site.

http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com
  • kavehthkavehth Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    thank you very much for the video :D

i created a blog here: http://serenityvr.blogspot.com
  • WhelanWebWhelanWeb Posts: 584
    kavehth wrote:
    thank you very much for the video :D

i created a blog here: http://serenityvr.blogspot.com

Hi Kavehth

No problem. Love what you have done so far, feel free to use our video for promoting your Serenity Demo in any way you see fit.

Regards

Dave
    Got a game in development or a cool piece of VR tech you want to show off? We are looking for demos, trailers and all things VR. Just send us a mail and we would be more than happy to feature it on our site.

http://www.virtualrealityreviewer.com
  • RadithorRadithor Posts: 4
    This is fantastic!

Hey, as you're no doubt aware, many of the (seemingly thousands) objects in the cargo hold et al. are real, common and simple items. Pallets, drums, bench press and so on. If you continued to complete serenity itself I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that would pitch in for the many assorted set items ;)
    Brain Burst
    Radithor wrote:
    This is fantastic!

Hey, as you're no doubt aware, many of the (seemingly thousands) objects in the cargo hold et al. are real, common and simple items. Pallets, drums, bench press and so on. If you continued to complete serenity itself I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that would pitch in for the many assorted set items ;)

hopefully i can get help for the props, if i did it myself it would take a long time.

this week i started work on the cargo hold

• Looks amazing! Can't wait to play ^.^
    Hello Developers!

Looking for research participants for an online survey on video gaming and dreams!

Check it out! http://bit.ly/1q0fnIA

Thanks! ^.^
  • EndaEnda Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just tried it now, fantastic job well done.

A little feedback: ( you probably have already spotted this) In the yellow crew room there is a door to the left as you come in, there is no collider.
    I was able to walk through and fall out of the ship and down out of the skybox.
    Enda
  • claytongulickclaytongulick Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Do you have a place where we can get the project file and assets to help collaborate?
    Brain Burst
    Enda wrote:
    Just tried it now, fantastic job well done.

A little feedback: ( you probably have already spotted this) In the yellow crew room there is a door to the left as you come in, there is no collider.
    I was able to walk through and fall out of the ship and down out of the skybox.

Thanks for letting me know
    Do you have a place where we can get the project file and assets to help collaborate?

not yet, but if you are interested in helping out, PM me and we'll work it out
    Brain Burst
    Wild idea - and I know I'm looking way too far ahead, but once you get the ship done, how about this as an experience -

Recreate Mal's journey through the ship from the episode "Out of gas". That episode takes you through most (all?) of the locations on board, and affords simple interactions at key points:
    - inject yourself with adrenaline
    - put the part in the engine
    - press the red button in the cockpit

Add a light blood trail.

For bonus points you could even fade to black at certain locations then play video clips of some of the key flashbacks from that episode.

"I'll tell you what, you buy this ship, treat her proper, she'll be with you for the rest of your life."
    Brain Burst
    Good idea
    I was planing to add some iteractions, but this way it can have a narrative too. I love that episode, probably my second favorite after "objects in space"
    Brain Burst
    Yeah, that narrative component would really make it stand out from other set recreations.

It would still need a free-roam mode as well, though.
  • MannyLectroMannyLectro Posts: 558
    Hiro Protagonist
    Recreate Mal's journey through the ship from the episode "Out of gas". That episode takes you through most (all?) of the locations on board, and affords simple interactions at key points:
    - inject yourself with adrenaline
    - put the part in the engine
    - press the red button in the cockpit

Add a light blood trail.

Amazing idea ! And if you can add the alarm, red lights and english/chinese warnings it would be really really really AMAZING !
    Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
    321d7a56-bfc9-4667-85ce-3a67291aa90a.jpg
  • bogwellbogwell Posts: 8
    great stuff, please keep going!
    Brain Burst
    Nearly done with the cargo hold, now i have to fill it up with stuff.

• drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    This is looking amazing!
  • MannyLectroMannyLectro Posts: 558
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yep ! Amazing job indeed !
    Rift 3d models available here : viewtopic.php?t=1514
    321d7a56-bfc9-4667-85ce-3a67291aa90a.jpg
  • kavehth wrote:
    Nearly done with the cargo hold, now i have to fill it up with stuff.

Fill it up with cows! hahaha
    Hello Developers!

Looking for research participants for an online survey on video gaming and dreams!

Thanks! ^.^
  • AllocAlloc Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is so awesome. Can't wait to see what you end up with! :)
  • fillishavefillishave Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Good job! Looking forward to testing this one out!
    Brain Burst
    thanks everyone for the support

right now I'm adding some detail to the mess hall and redoing some of the textures, i think its looking a lot better.

• Will there be a version for DK2?
    Hello Developers!

Thanks! ^.^
  • There's no place I can be
    Since I've found Serenity
    And you can't take the sky from me.

LOVE THIS! Feels like home :D
    DK2 ordered on March 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM PDT status: RECEIVED
  • volv88volv88 Posts: 76
    Brain Burst
    Omg, I have just finished watching the series 2 days ago. It would be awesome to walk inside Serenity with DK2.
    Brain Burst
    Will there be a version for DK2?
    yes. I plan to release another version with a lot of improvements and new areas in the next couple of weeks.
  • this is amazing :-) and I love that show.
    Brain Burst
    here is a new version with DK2 support and a lot of improvements

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8ckaagxxbits92/SerenityVR_PC_0.2.zip?dl=0

i don't have a DK2 so i couldn't test it, let me know if there is any problem
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,849
    Neo
    Wow!

Every fan of Firefly/Serenity should download this ASAP.

Didn't work in Direct mode (got crash with weird error), but worked in Extended mode just from running DirectToRift.exe without any additional fiddling.

I guess everything else I say will be a spoiler, so here goes a big spoiler tag:
    Pros:

Successful marriage of ship exterior and interior: CHECK. That intro was award-winningly-well-done.

Lounge area is awesome, and standing in that area and looking back at the mess hall made me think that I wanted to live there on that ship, with friends & family, etc.

My jaw was on the floor several times. Amazing amount of detail in every room. I admit I clicked to see if I could open up Kaylee's bunk. Jaw on floor again after I realized were stairs going down to the cargo bay. Lighting and ambience is spot-on -- all of it is instantly recognizable.

I'm running at 75 FPS throughout the whole thing on a GTX 660.

Positional tracking working great.

Issues / nitpicking:

Doors sound great, but it is otherwise too quiet in my opinion. Needs background ambience, like ship engine rumble or something.

Can see the sky from the sides of two of the upper doors in the cargo bay.

Black smear is evident in several areas. If/when you get a DK2 you will see what I mean. I recommend checking out a Unity package I posted for this here.

Low persistence appears to be off, which causes DK1-style motion blur when looking around. Not sure if this was just a fluke, but there's probably no harm in forcing it on at startup via OVRDevice.SetLowPersistenceMode(true);

Unity lens flare looks stock, which is out of place compared to all the beautiful unique detail in the rest of the experience. I recommend perhaps finding a different one.

Thank you for a wonderful experience! :o
    Brain Burst
    drash wrote:
    Didn't work in Direct mode (got crash with weird error), but worked in Extended mode just from running DirectToRift.exe without any additional fiddling.

i don't know why it crashed, mine works just fine
    drash wrote:
    Black smear is evident in several areas. If/when you get a DK2 you will see what I mean. I recommend checking out a Unity package I posted for this here.

thanks for that, i cant check it but I'll use your package
    drash wrote:
    Low persistence appears to be off, which causes DK1-style motion blur when looking around. Not sure if this was just a fluke, but there's probably no harm in forcing it on at startup via OVRDevice.SetLowPersistenceMode(true);

I'm using the OVRPlayerController prefab so you can use all the controls that it has, i think you can toggle Low persistence with F1.