New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Laptop support

Jetfixer71Jetfixer71 Posts: 1
NerveGear
Oculus support informed me my Dell G5 15 would not support the Rift or Link cable because it lacks a USB 3.0 port. It has four 3.1 ports and an HDMI 2.0. Does this sound accurate and or is there an adapter I can use to bridge the two. The laptop has sufficient computing power. I’m very new to the VR space. Thank you.

Answers

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,389
    Project 2501
    It doesn't sound right to me. USB 3.1 is backward compatible with USB 3.0.

Then again according to this link.....

https://www.startech.com/au/faq/usb-3-1-port-capabilities

.....they seem to be trying hard to make the "Universal" part of USB obsolete.

USB 3.0 (also known as USB 3.1 Gen 1      (5Gb/s)
    USB 3.1 (also known as USB 3.1 Gen 2      (10Gb/s)

USB 3.1 is backwards compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0, except in the following scenarios:
    • USB-B 3.1 cables are not compatible with USB-B 2.0 ports.
    • Unless you use an adapter, USB-C ports or cables will not work with USB-A or USB-B ports or cables.
    • Devices that require USB 3.1 transfer speeds of 10Gbps might not work with USB 3.0 or USB 2.0, or you might experience lower transfer speeds and impacted performance.
    • Bus-powered USB devices that requires more power than what USB 2.0 can provide are not compatible with USB 2.0.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,733 Valuable Player
    Oculus support informed me my Dell G5 15 would not support the Rift or Link cable because it lacks a USB 3.0 port. It has four 3.1 ports and an HDMI 2.0. Does this sound accurate and or is there an adapter I can use to bridge the two. The laptop has sufficient computing power. I’m very new to the VR space. Thank you.
    Maybe because unless your laptop has at least a gtx1070 or better, it is not currently supported with Quest Link.  I hate to say this but this laptop looks like a pretty poor choice for good PCVR imho.  Worst case, you buy a Quest and at least get good mobile VR, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.