New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Lenovo is building another standalone VR headset

ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 476
Trinity
i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
Oculus Rift S
Oculus GO
Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
Tagged:

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,389
    Project 2501
    I see the path clearly now....................

1. Oculus Rift
        Oculus Go

2. Lenovo Rift S
       Oculus Quest

3. Oculus Rift 2
        Lenovo Quest S
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,060 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:

1. Oculus Rift
        Oculus Go

2. Lenovo Rift S
       Oculus Quest

3. Oculus Rift 2
        Lenovo Quest S
    Nothing wrong with dreaming big...
    ;)
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,931 Valuable Player
    So only Sony and Lenovo can use a Halo designed headset?
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,982 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    So only Sony and Lenovo can use a Halo designed headset?

No, Samsung also licensed the system.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited January 18
    I think many of you will be surprised to hear how the OculusVR relationship will be defined after the launch of Lenovo's own Standalone - we could be looking at another Samsung situation. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 336
    Art3mis
    You would have thought that with all the money Facebook has, they would build their own.
    Oculus Rift S (love it)
    Oculus Quest 128GB (Loving it too)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK 
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz
    GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
    16 GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Oculus app version 14.0.0.83.710 (14.0.0.83.710)
  • CalibosCalibos Posts: 109
    Art3mis
    edited January 20
    Lenovo Educational 4K 3DOF Standalone with Qualcomm 835, active cooling and bigger battery in rear of headband.

Lenovo Manufacturing Partner with Oculus.

Oculus permanently reducing price of Oculus GO 1.0 last week (Reducing Inventory??)

My 6 month old theory just got a whole lot more plausible. ie. a Facebook F8 2020 announced Media focussed 4K GO 2.0 with Qualcomm 835 with active cooling and bigger battery, the only difference being I reckoned it might have 2 Camera Insight for 6DOF HMD tracking but no Touch so as to keep costs within the GO 1.0 pricing envelope and prevent such a high res standalone 6DOF HMD stepping on the toes of Quest. 

Mark my words, at this Aprils F8, Zuckerberg will announce a Media focussed Oculus GO 2.0 badged version of this 3DOF Lenovo HMD or my theorised version with the addition of 2 camera Insight for 6DOF HMD and tracked hands for UI interaction.

Even though I just bought a HP Reverb in the BF sales for VR Sims and replacing my GO 1.0 for Virtual Cinema, even a 3DOF Oculus Ecosystem version of this HMD would become my goto $199 Virtual Cinema HMD with virtually the same res and SDE levels of Reverb but hopefully even better lenses and of course I’d be untethered for VR Cinema again.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,572 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    I think many of you will be surprised to hear how the OculusVR relationship will be defined after the launch of Lenovo's own Standalone - we could be looking at another Samsung situation. 

I'd love the idea of Lenovo getting access to Oculus Store, but it's probably all in my dreams... Oculus could let Lenovo handle PCVR until Oculus feels ready to launch CV2/3 if ever... Rift-S already feels like a Lenovo hmd with Oculus Store access... But it's probably not going to happen. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,746 Valuable Player
    If Lenovo is involved, it is going tor pretty so-so quality imho.  Hope I'm wrong.  

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 336
    Art3mis
    My take, is the more that make'm, the lower the cost.  I'm OK buying budget hardware.  For us cost is the main priority.  Its what it does more than what it looks like.  Now that's a little hypocritical as I have quite a few Macs and iPhones - lol, but I have since stopped buying them because I don't think they represent value for money anymore (but I do love the OS). 
    And that (from what I have read) is where Facebook wanted to take Oculus, resulting from the standard thinking of producing really high quality hardware for a premium price.  I agree with this move - there will always be a premium brand for people with deep pockets (or more money than brain cells).  Lenovo seems to be for the masses, so I hope they will make a stand alone VR either tethered or free roam. Lets get VR in to every house !
    Oculus Rift S (love it)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK 
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz
    GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
    16 GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Oculus app version 14.0.0.83.710 (14.0.0.83.710)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,746 Valuable Player
    Well, given your budget VR PC build you may be hard pressed to get good PCVR results imho.  For those that can not see his signature (like viewed on many smart phones);

Oculus Rift S (love it)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK 
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz
    GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
    16 GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1TB SSD

While you may not have deep pockets, as long as you are happy with the results, that's great imho.  Just enjoy what you have and maybe save up for future upgrades.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,274 Valuable Player
    Another unexciting launch. More of the same again.
    edited February 14
    I have to laugh at all these VR companies who seem to be taken VR backwards in time. No inside out tracking or outside in tracking and it's for educational purposes? Might as well just use the trusty projection screen to show people what you are trying to teach, or even a blackboard :D  

Oculus should have given the Quest to Lenovo to build and just added inside out tracking to this headset. It has a better design then the Oculus Quest because I doubt it will feel front heavy with the Halo strap. The rest of the specs are also better then the Oculus Quest.

We are 3 years plus on and still my Oculus CV1 is the best VR headset to get for the price IMO. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,296 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:

1. Oculus Rift
        Oculus Go

2. Lenovo Rift S
       Oculus Quest

3. Oculus Rift 2
        Lenovo Quest S

Yup, that's exactly what I said a while back. I'm just hoping that Oculus will licence the Halo head strap from Sony because after I left my Rift S at home when I went to visit my Mum for a couple of weeks I borrowed my old Rift from a mate that I gave it to to work on my game whilst I was away, and the difference in comfort is ridiculous.  :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    RedRizla said:
    I have to laugh at all these VR companies who seem to be taken VR backwards in time. No inside out tracking or outside in tracking and it's for educational purposes? Might as well just use the trusty project screen to show people what you are trying to teach, or even a blackboard :D  

Oculus should have given the Quest to Lenovo to build and just added inside out tracking to this headset. It has a better design then the Oculus Quest because I doubt it will feel front heavy with the Halo strap. The rest of the specs are also better then the Oculus Quest.

We are 3 years plus on and still my Oculus CV1 is the best VR headset to get for the price IMO. 

It's actually a good business move from Lenovo if the price is reasonable enough, the educational market is HUGE and worth billions.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:
    Yup, that's exactly what I said a while back. I'm just hoping that Oculus will licence the Halo head strap from Sony because .....

Yeah, sorry @snowdog no matter how much I love your "Tick-Tock" prophecy, the new Lenovo system is not a Quest-S or any kind of Oculus system. I think you will find that it s pure non-OculusVR supported. Just my personal perspective, the official announcement was due at Mobile World which was sadly cancelled. But kudos for your wishful thinking. 

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:
    Yup, that's exactly what I said a while back. I'm just hoping that Oculus will licence the Halo head strap from Sony because .....

Yeah, sorry @snowdog no matter how much I love your "Tick-Tock" prophecy, the new Lenovo system is not a Quest-S or any kind of Oculus system. I think you will find that it s pure non-OculusVR supported. Just my personal perspective, the official announcement was due at Mobile World which was sadly cancelled. But kudos for your wishful thinking. 

I'm fully aware that it's an Oculus Go clone with an updated graphics chip and the article says that it's having a Lenovo Store. If you read the post I'm quoting @Richooal has just repeated what I've said in the past. The Oculus tock headsets will be manufactured by Oculus and the Oculus tick headsets (the S versions) will be outsourced to Lenovo (or another third party manufacturer). At no point in my post did I nor @Richooal imply that the Lenovo standalone was in any way connected to the Rift line of headsets.

edited February 14
    snowdog said:
    RedRizla said:
    I have to laugh at all these VR companies who seem to be taken VR backwards in time. No inside out tracking or outside in tracking and it's for educational purposes? Might as well just use the trusty project screen to show people what you are trying to teach, or even a blackboard :D  

It's actually a good business move from Lenovo if the price is reasonable enough, the educational market is HUGE and worth billions.

But all you are doing is basically looking at a screen with a controller that acts like a mouse no doubt. We might as well just stick to a laptop if that's the case. Yes you will see things in 3D, but Nvidia 3D vision did that and that's old hat. My main point was that after 3 plus years is this how far VR has advanced? When I look at all the other VR headsets this is hardly any advancement and for the price Oculus CV1 still wins hands down.

The rest of the VR headsets just don't come close to Oculus CV1 for the price and what you get. Great tracking, great controllers, great blacks, good headphones, etc. I'm waiting for something that is actually a lot better then Oculus CV1 and comes in at a good price. I would pay around £700 for a decent upgrade, but at this rate I don't think I'll see an Oculus CV1 winner for years to come.
    This headset, as I've already mentioned, is an Oculus Go clone with an updated GPU that's primarily going to be available at a low cost for schools, colleges and universities.

VR will have advanced enough to make this affordable for those institutions to buy.

These things aren't aimed for you and I, they're for educational establishments.

And it should, as long as Lenovo don't take the piss with pricing, be a nice earner for Lenovo...and that in turn will benefit VR as a whole because Lenovo can invest that money into furthering their PC VR technology.

snowdog said:
    These things aren't aimed for you and I, they're for educational establishments.

And it should, as long as Lenovo don't take the piss with pricing, be a nice earner for Lenovo...and that in turn will benefit VR as a whole because Lenovo can invest that money into furthering their PC VR technology.

Again, I think you will find no one thought these were aimed at "us" - as the article was clear that it is education and business focused. And a good thing too - now with the Oculus GO gone its a perfect opportunity, and again a market that we had hoped that other companies would have consumed with their business strategy, but recent departures now reveal is off the table. But really the most interesting aspect is that Lenovo is strike out on their own, and also partnering with Varjo and also Samsung, with Asian reports of a Quest-like platform for later in the year using the Snapdragon 855, just like the new Samsung - very interesting. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **