New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Think twice about buying primax. I was right about cosmos.

inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
Simply put, primax is moving its us customer base back to china. Do you really want to spend a thousand dollars and deal with that?

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,026 Valuable Player

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    Good one guys!
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,046 Valuable Player
    edited January 22
    This is a temporary move where new service centres in Europe are planned. But what basis are you making the claim "Do you really want to spend a thousand dollars and deal with that?".  Have you had bad experience before with Chinese products?  FYI a lot of western companies outsource their service centres to places like India where the labour is cheaper. A lot of western branded goods are cheaply made in China.  I recently spoke with the HP service centre based in India from the UK and got dealt with very rapidly. Hopefully, if one has to return an item it will be more localised. If not, then the slow shipping to China can take a week, less or more.  ;)

Either way, I'll take the risk so you don't have to. And if you're really interested afterwards then just order via AMAZON which has its own protection.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    This is a temporary move where new service centres in Europe are planned. But what basis are you making the claim "Do you really want to spend a thousand dollars and deal with that?".  Have you had bad experience before with Chinese products?  FYI a lot of western companies outsource their service centres to places like India where the labour is cheaper. A lot of western branded goods are cheaply made in China.  I recently spoke with the HP service centre based in India from the UK and got dealt with very rapidly. Hopefully, if one has to return an item it will be more localised. If not, then the slow shipping to China can take a week, less or more.  ;)

Either way, I'll take the risk so you don't have to. And if you're really interested afterwards then just order via AMAZON which has its own protection.
    I respect your willing to take the risk. I'm just saying for those who feel they can wait it's a good idea to wait for the dust to settle and see how the move works out. I was attacked from all over when I said a cosmos buy was a bad move when I suspected big trouble on the horizon. The cosmos makes a hell of a paperweight.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,228 Valuable Player

For 30 days...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited January 22
    But what basis are you making the claim "Do you really want to spend a thousand dollars and deal with that?".  Have you had bad experience before with Chinese products?
    I know you're currently in "defend Pimax mode," but as you are well aware, the latest public debacle involving Sweviver has brought to light the horrible support Pimax provided when their service was in China. Nearly everyone who had a bad experience with Pimax made this public.

The problem isn't with Chinese products nor China itself, of course. Pimax isn't moving business to China with the goal of increasing the quality of their product and support. Pimax is moving business to China to save money.

Fast. Cheap. Good. Pick any two.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    edited January 22
    inovator said:
    Simply put, primax is moving its us customer base back to china. Do you really want to spend a thousand dollars and deal with that?
    I'm not spending £1000 on a HMD, do you even know what you could do with £1000??? do you??? DO YOU!!!!???!!!!
    • You could give it to charity
    • You could buy a car
    • You could go on holiday
    • you could buy PS5 and Xbox series X
    • You could buy an epic GPU to run your VR and 2D games
    • You could buy a dog
    • You could buy a sexy fridge
    • You could buy a years supply of chocolate!
    £1000 on a HMD is bloody ridiculous! What kind of people do you think we are???!!!!

The most I would spend on a HMD personally is £999.99 (not including index controllers and base stations + deluxe audio strap - all of that is probably £400 more lol) anything more then that is simply absurd.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    I'm not spending £1000 on a HMD, do you even know what you could do with £1000??? do you??? DO YOU!!!!???!!!!
    • You could buy a car
    • You could buy a dog
    £1000 on a HMD is bloody ridiculous! What kind of people do you think we're???!!!!

The most I would spend in a HMD personally is £999.99 (not including index controllers and base stations + deluxe audio strap) anything more then that is simply absurd.
    I think my head is about to explode. 
    Project 2501
    edited January 22
    inovator said:
    • You could buy a car
    • You could buy a dog
    £1000 on a HMD is bloody ridiculous! What kind of people do you think we're???!!!!

The most I would spend in a HMD personally is £999.99 (not including index controllers and base stations + deluxe audio strap) anything more then that is simply absurd.

lol seriously? You know I was just kidding right...haha
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    SkScotchegg said:⁷
    inovator said:
    • You could buy a car
    • You could buy a dog

lol seriously? You know I was just kidding right...haha
    Ya I like good humor.
    edited January 22
    People complain about VR support across the board.  That's not unique to Pimax. As far as I am concerned, I've had no issue at all with my dealings with Pimax. However, I am not blind to the many who have had a lousy experience. I "get" the caution here.

People complain about VR support across the board.  That's not unique to Pimax. As far as I am concerned, I've had no issue at all with my dealings with Pimax. However, I am not blind to the many who have had a lousy experience.
    I hope u have a great experience. Even though the primax isnt for me i want them to succeed. It's great for vr. I would love a similar fov. If you can get that and it makes you happy that would be great. I dont want to be a downer but as a forum I like talking about the positives and negatives of things. I'm looking forward to hearing your review.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,058 Valuable Player
    I think after what happened at CES that we are about to see major management restructuring across the board - and while Pimax has survived some major bad-PR, their core (Chinese) executive team can not feel they have seen value for money from their Western managers (also linked to issues with conflicts of interest accusations).

To see Pimax enter the scene with a surprise low cost platform, and also the confusing list of versions they currently field, makes me question their focus. Also there is the question of support, long before their decision to relocate back to China, there have been issues. And finally the suggestion from some sources that they are looking to raise more capital all add up to warning flags for me. 

I think we can see from the success VRgineers has achieved in the Enterprise sector with their WFOV headset, against issues with Pimax entering this essential market, (especially with what happened to SarVR) - questions are bound to be laid at the feet of the current board regarding what they have achieved, and if focusing on a China first strategy is more achievable?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited January 22
    People complain about VR support across the board.  That's not unique to Pimax.

There are levels and degrees of problems that are definitely unique to Pimax. No one is denying that problems exist across the board with all companies. But there's a difference with quality issues and troubleshooting that comes with products like the Index, Rift, and Vive... compared to the horror show that Pimax puts forth.

Or to put that another way, Pimax has just as many "common support problems" as anyone else, and then adds an entire layer of awful on top of it. Such as having an instant language barrier:

Some of the people in tech support don’t speak the language that the requests are coming in. So they sometimes don’t understand what the request is. If the request comes in and it can be interpreted more than one way the response that you get may not even be related to your request, sometimes.

Meeting deadlines hasn't been much of an issue for Oculus, Valve, and Vive. Yet it was a huge issue for Pimax:
    https://uploadvr.com/pimaxs-8k-vr-headset-delayed-ces-plans-revealed/

Their customer support problems are layered on top of:
    • Time delays
    • Buggy Software
    • Quality issues with Hardware

I've had no issue at all with my dealings with Pimax

But you recently admitted that your primary HMD is the HP Reverb, correct? It's easy to not have issues with something that gets little to no use. I have a car in my garage that I never drive. Ironically, it never gives me issues. Crazy.

edited January 22
    But it did have quite a bit of use until I sold it. During the time I did use it, I had no issues. Perhaps I was one of the lucky ones. I am on my 3rd HP Reverb though and support the first time was abysmal, utterly soul destroying. Support the second time was very good. The third time was incredibly effective and mind-blowingly awesome. Take that as you will.

Perhaps Pimax simply doesn't learn very quickly, or fumbles about in the dark. The language barrier as you mention a stumbling block perhaps?

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,315 Valuable Player
    Please don't try to put shadow off of buying one, I am looking forward to his review :)

I would recommend everyone else wait ;)
    Please don't try to put shadow off of buying one, I am looking forward to his review :)

I would recommend everyone else wait ;)
    Like I said I hope it succeeds but threads are meant to discuss the pros and cons.
    Project 2501
    edited January 22
    I've always wanted wide FOV. Whenever we've had poll's on this forum over the years regarding what features people want next from Oculus with their CV2 I've always voted for more FOV! That has always been the main priority for me.

So for quite some time now I've had my heart set on getting an Index, despite the glare/god rays and controller issues it did sound very good to me compared to Rift S/CV1. It sounds like a good a upgrade. As more time has gone on though I think that upgrade path would annoy me because I didn't like the god rays on CV1 so if Index has that just as bad it could be an issue.

But recently I've seen Pimax Artisan on YouTube and it's £449 and then obviously I would need to buy knuckles, base stations and deluxe audio strap so that's another £400? I think? So total of £849 which is pretty decent.

So to me, this will be like I've skipped the Index and gone from Rift S to Pimax with 170° FOV 120hz with knuckle controllers and good tracking. I am just as much looking forward to going back to proper outside/in tracking as I am the FOV and I'm also looking forward to trying knuckles. So I believe this will feel just as good as Index but will actually feel even better because of the larger FOV. And all of this is cheaper. Even cheaper if you don't get the upgraded deluxe head strap obviously.

Also Guys, I noticed something, on ever single YouTube video and every single website on the internet is states 140° FOV for Artisan but I find this very strange. Unless originally they said 140° and then changed to 170 because if you go to the official Pimax website and click on Pimax Artisan you will see that it clearly states 170° FOV up and down the page. I just thought I'd point this out as I find it strange why everyone is saying 140° FOV when the truth is it's actually got 170° FOV.

Don't believe me? Check out their website right here ladies & gents:
    https://www.pimax.com/

So anyways, I'm excited now. I'm still saving for my mortgage but now I'm saving for this as well. I don't think it's released yet either and no idea when it will be released. I'm guessing maybe 5 months from now?
    Project 2501
    edited January 22
    Guys there's a video I just watched on YouTube where the CEO get's interviewed. And the guy asks him, how many people are do you have in support department for customer's because customer's are complaining about your customer service and his response was 2 people!! He only has two people answering tickets.

So then he asked him will you increase this? And he says yeah we're increasing it to 5 people...

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm being serious...give me 5 minutes and I'll find you the link to the video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1egP2kPPns

How do I embed the video? lol
    Perhaps Pimax simply doesn't learn very quickly, or fumbles about in the dark. The language barrier as you mention a stumbling block perhaps?

Pimax seems to be Pimax's own worst enemy. I mean... they hired Sweviver "after" he attacked people like Pumcy on the official Pimax forums.
    inovator said:
    Like I said I hope it succeeds but threads are meant to discuss the pros and cons.
    Agreed. Nothing wrong with talking about both sides of the equation.

Plus, you are more generous than me; as I hope Pimax fails again! lol - I say that not to be an arse, but because I truly feel that Pimax has done a horrible job of entering the VR Market. Everything from their original "lie" about 8K Resolution, to the hiring of Sweviver.

I am still looking forward to ShadowMask's review. Despite the fact that Shadow clearly has a sweet spot for Pimax (i.e. Shadow has never defended Oculus, Valve, HTC, HP, etc with the same fervor as with Pimax), in the end Shadow does give great, thorough, and honest reviews about all the HMD's he's tried. Hell, even I physically mailed him an HMD once (the Samsung O+).

What I like about Shadow is that even though he'll spend time pre-defending Pimax (defending their product before it is released), once he gets it, he has no qualms telling everyone exactly how good or bad it is, and he won't hesitate to replace it with something better (as he did with the HP Reverb). That's a rare trait to have. Especially on the Internet. I've seen multiple people on this forum go out of their way to make it seem like their HMD is the greatest thing since sliced bread that is pure Gen-X and blah blah blah. In fact, that's exactly the tone set by all Vive users when I first arrived here. Thankfully Shadow is more mature and honest than all that.

But, as you said, it is still fun to talk about the pro's and con's.
    Guys there's a video I just watched on YouTube where the CEO get's interviewed. And the guy asks him, how many people are do you have in support department for customer's because customer's are complaining about your customer service and his response was 2 people!! He only has two people answering tickets.

So then he asked him will you increase this? And he says yeah we're increasing it to 5 people...

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will have 6 people total:
    • 5 people on Support to answer phone calls and emails.
    • Sweviver on the Internet to spam-yell at you, insisting all your problems are your fault.
    I'm also looking forward to that review zenbane.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,924 Valuable Player
    They loved both Pimax and Knuckles  B)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,390 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:
    That will be very expensive. Are they providing housing or just one way flights? What if the U.S. customers don't want to go?

ALL flights to China are going to be one way soon. Apart from the flight back in the inevitable box once you catch that virus 😂😂😂
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,860 Valuable Player
    edited January 23
    This thread has to be one of the most useless ever imho.  What a surprise, given the source, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

I am flattered y'all value my opinion so highly. I don't suffer fools gladly when it comes to VR headsets most likely because none of the manufacturers want to send me them for free. So I pay for them out of my own pocket.  :p When they do send them, the review isn't filled with bullshit. I've been in this business for a long time now (see it all) and I'm not bowled-over by the buttering-up from those offering their products. Perhaps that's why I don't get sent them when in today's marketing, offering free stuff to wet-behind-the-ears Youtubers (with tons of subscribers) who have zero integrity is an easier and more productive tactic.  

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,992 Valuable Player
    edited January 23
    But it did have quite a bit of use until I sold it. During the time I did use it, I had no issues. Perhaps I was one of the lucky ones. I am on my 3rd HP Reverb though and support the first time was abysmal, utterly soul destroying. Support the second time was very good. The third time was incredibly effective and mind-blowingly awesome. Take that as you will.

What happened for you to send the HP back a 3rd time? Mine has occasionally started to go black on one screen, but I'm thinking it's the cable? It's a shame people with higherend graphics cards are having to rely on companies like Pimax and HP to give them what they want, so hats of to them for doing that at-least.

Oculus won't make something like a Rift S pro with higher resolution screens and a decent pair of headphones, so unfortunately some of us are having to look else where. I would snap up a Rift S pro tomorrow even if it just had higher resolution display's like the HP Reverb.
    Dead pixels.