cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link USB-C requirements

damageinc665
Honored Guest
Hi,

I'm looking for a new gaming laptop that will support Oculus Quest link.
Statement of support says USB 3 cable with USB-C to USB-C or USB-C to USB-A

For USB-C to USB-C, does it require the port to be Thunderbolt 3?
This is critical to know when making the choice since this will affect the overall laptop price by a few 100$ more.
It seems pretty standard for 2020 generation of laptops, but 2019 generation do have USB-C port, just not Thunderbolt 3

Sorry if this was posted earlier, but couldn't find it 

thanks for the help!
10 REPLIES 10

enigma01
Trustee
See this thread https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/84706/the-official-oculus-link-cable-is-not-working... and see other owners comments and my own regarding Link with Thunderbolt 3.

Oculus have agreed to RMA my cable for a refund.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Actually most posts on here I've seen mentioning Thunderbolt 3 ports say they don't work with link.

The minimum requirement USB 3.0 (also called USB 3.1 Gen 1 or USB 3.2 Gen 1 or SuperSpeed, they are all the same thing, the USB committee keeps renaming it).
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

damageinc665
Honored Guest

kojack said:

Actually most posts on here I've seen mentioning Thunderbolt 3 ports say they don't work with link.

The minimum requirement USB 3.0 (also called USB 3.1 Gen 1 or USB 3.2 Gen 1 or SuperSpeed, they are all the same thing, the USB committee keeps renaming it).

Interesting then that getting that USB-C thunderbolt could actually do the opposite of what I'm looking to achieve... 

enigma01
Trustee
I can get the official Oculus Link cable to work, but only connected backwards (so angled connector into the PC), other owners have reported the same with Thunderbolt 3 and means the cable isn’t working as it should. 

Oculus support didn’t give me any explanation why or whether it would be fixed with updates, and just offered me a refund if I return the cable.  

kojack
MVP
MVP
Hmm, that's odd.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Just googled this Thunderbolt 3,  its a right mash up of standards, all using the USB-C connector.  I'm surprised it works at all - lol 
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

kojack
MVP
MVP
It's supposed to be backwards compatible, but I have a feeling it's the drivers that aren't mature.

enigma01
Trustee

kojack said:

It's supposed to be backwards compatible, but I have a feeling it's the drivers that aren't mature.

On my laptop specs on the manufacturers website my C type connector is Thunderbolt 3 and is also specified as being USB 3.1 Gen 2. 

Basically it has one USB C type port that is Tunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Gen 2. 

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
@enigma01 You know what they say - jack of all trades and master of none - that sounds like TB3. lol.  You did get it to work in the end so its not all a bad idea I suppose.  I can never ever have TB3 in my gaming rig and there is only 1 USB-C 3.1 gen1 (usb 3.0) and 3 USB-A 3.1 gen 1, and I often wonder if any of the power and bandwidth is shared between them.  I keep thinking of getting a cable, but as I only have the 1050Ti I have serious doubts it would work.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.