New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Sony to unveil PSVR 2 for PS5 (leak)

MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,885 Valuable Player

Sony had a big surprise in store for its PS5 event, but a huge leak might’ve just spoiled it

Apparently, the new PlayStation VR 2 headset will be unveiled this year, and it could be announced alongside the highly anticipated PS5. We’ve always suspected that a new PSVR was in the making, a system that could leverage the more sophisticated PS5 hardware. And, if a developer called Immersive VR Education is to be believed, the next-gen PlayStation VR device will be unveiled this year.
“In 2020, Sony will release PlayStation 5 and a new version of the PlayStation VR headset (PSVR), which will further expand the high-end VR user base – the group intends to support this device with its current software package,” Immersive wrote in a financial report, TechBriefly says

PSVR2 paired with the more powerful PS5 would be a big deal. It would bring real VR to the masses at an affordable price without the need for a PC. I would expect the PS5 to be as powerful as a 1080ti / 2070. If the PSVR 2 has properly controllers and Rift S resolution, it could be a very impressive VR device. 

Do you think the PSVR 2 will have a major impact on VR? Will it hurt PCVR or help it through ports and by acting as a gateway drug?

i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,828 Valuable Player
    Might be time to update my Nintendo 64, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited January 24
    How many more PS rumours are there going to be? I've given up listening to them now because had I taken them seriously then I would be playing on a PS 5 today.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,033 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:

Do you think the PSVR 2 will have a major impact on VR? Will it hurt PCVR or help it through ports and by acting as a gateway drug?

More and more sources seem to be pointing to the fact that the rumored PSVR2 might become reality. A prototype using a non-Eyetoy tracking system was reported to have been seen at Sony R&D (the VR side of Sony now being lead wholly from Japan after shuttering the London teams).

Many had felt that Sony would not want to confuse their PS5 launch with a new VR peripheral, but a number of reliable sources have stated that Sony are making active noises to developers that a new VR system is in the wings - and will be wireless so offering a major alternative to the Quest.

If they do decide to release this system along with the PS5 then this will have incredible impact on the shape of the VR market, and could be the injection needed to keep VR console focused away from what impact on the PC VR scene HL:A will have.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,004 Valuable Player
    edited January 24
    MowTin said:

Yep. I never had any doubt that a new PSVR 2 would be released.

Afterall, Sony has sold more VR HMD's than anyone else (according to their self-reported sales). Sony acquired Insomiac games, which was another clue as to future PSVR content. I already plan to purchase the PS5, and I'll definitely be getting the PSVR 2.

To answer your question, I feel like there's a bit more chicken vs egg scenario going on. Here's my quick take:
    • PSVR 1 did not have a major impact on VR compared to the Oculus Quest, which really seems to have taken the world by storm as a VR HMD.
    • The Oculus Quest is likely the 'gateway drug' that PSVR 2 will benefit from.
    To clarify point 1 above, even though PSVR 1 has reported more individual VR HMD sales than any other unit, volume is still low (measured in low millions, not '10s of millions' nor '100s of millions), and so the overall global consumer impact has been minimal. Resident Evil is still the best thing on PSVR 1.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    Can't wait for PS5 and PSVR2! That would be amazing. 

I would only get PSVR2 though if they have improved it in every way and created their own proper controllers which are equal to Touch/Knuckles.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,033 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:

PSVR2 paired with the more powerful PS5 would be a big deal. It would bring real VR to the masses at an affordable price without the need for a PC. I would expect the PS5 to be as powerful as a 1080ti / 2070.

It would be interesting to see if a Standalone (wireless) Sony PSVR2 would scare the current management of the VR manufacturers - especially considering the coming of the end of the AAA exclusive route to encourage sales. While Sony still has deep pockets to support key projects.

Remember that many in the VR community tried to claim that OculusVR was working with Microsoft on the new Xbone system only for that rumor to be quashed firmly by MS. It would be interesting if the other aspect of the PSVR2 rumor is true and that Samsung are directly involved in this new system. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 681
    Neo
    edited January 25
    Can't wait for PS5 and PSVR2! That would be amazing. 

I would only get PSVR2 though if they have improved it in every way and created their own proper controllers which are equal to Touch/Knuckles.

Yeap, thumbsticks on their VR controllers is a must and a better tracking system as the present one works just about for seated vr, i mean i am enjoying borderland 2 VR with the joypad, i did try the aim controler but the drift on that thing is a joke, never been able to get it to keep from drifting at random times, but i think it is made all the worse by the fact i have the CV1 and Vive and their controller tracking is almost perfect, but at least we know our present hardware will work with the PS5, so that is something.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,235 Valuable Player
    Psvr especially if wirless would contribute greatly to the vr market in my opinion. If it were wireless and a big success it would encourage the development of wirless being the way to go from the ground up. I will be in line for the purchase along with my pcvr headsets. I had many good times with playstation vr exclusives including resident evil 7. Any vr game offered on PC  was a no brainer for me because of the superior tracking etc.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,951 Valuable Player
    An announcement on this before the Xbox release would be nice.  I've gone Xbox since the beginning but a good VR system would drag me away.
    edited February 21
    Here's another PS -VR rumour. I hope this all turns out to be true because PlayStation VR will be a force to be reckoned with if it does.

https://gamerant.com/playstation-vr-finger-tracking-controller/
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,147 Valuable Player
    edited February 21
    A PSVR2 was always coming.... The interesting thing here would be if it came alongside PS5 launch. In the past Sony had said it wouldn't but would instead support PSVR1 on day1.
    A high quality PS5 headset is exciting indeed . From a purely personal POV it will give me a decision to make. I would dearly love to play wipeout in high Res VR but just don't think either myself or the folks I game with would ever go back to paying for an online account to MP game with.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    A PSVR2 was always coming.... The interesting thing here would be if it came alongside PS5 launch. In the past Sony had said it wouldn't but would instead support PSVR1 on day1.
    A high quality PS5 headset is exciting indeed . From a purely personal POV it will give me a decision to make. I would dearly love to play wipeout in high Res VR but just don't think either myself or the folks I game with would ever go back to paying for an online account to MP game with.
    I own the rift s the quest psvr1 which isnt the best one but I enjoy.. but enough already! My wallet hurts.i own ps pro so I'd have the best psvr experience. If the ps 5 is out with psvr2 for me that's a must immediate buy. Oh my aching wallet 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,353 Valuable Player

Yup, pay to play online is the reason why I haven't bought a console this generation.

I WAS tempted to get a PS4 and PSVR for Resident Evil 7 though.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:

Yup, pay to play online is the reason why I haven't bought a console this generation.

I WAS tempted to get a PS4 and PSVR for Resident Evil 7 though.
    It's worth it for res. Evil alone. If you like platform games astro bots will blow you away. And other ps vr exclusives. The bundles are cheap now. You dont need online 
    Neo
    ^^^Yeap, psplus is not really needed for PSVR stuff as most of the good ones are single player anyway, i have a PS4 pro and have gotten by without having any PSplus for games like Wipeout vR, RE7, Astorbot, Golf VR, Rush of Blood, Driveclub VR....and even some mutiplatform ports are great, Skyrimvr, Borderlands 2 VR, PBFX2 VR, as sometime you just want some VR while relaxing in your comfy chair with a joypad, and not dancing around the room. lol
    Love that these rumors are getting more and more confirmation. PS5 + PSVR2 is going to have amazing potential for a Gen 2 console-VR package. Now it's just a waiting game!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,353 Valuable Player
    I know you don't need PS+ for most of these games but I'm refusing to buy these consoles as a matter of principle.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited February 21
    To be fair a PlayStation is a lot cheaper to buy than a PC. So paying for a yearly subscription isn't all that expensive if you look at it like that. PC's are not only expensive to buy now, but also gone are the days when it was a lot cheaper to buy PC games than it was to buy Console games.
    I used to pay to play MMORPG's (e.g. Dark Age of Camelot), and just about everything I watch on TV is a paid streaming service (Netflix, Amazon, etc).

I don't mind paying if the service is top notch.
    snowdog said:
    I know you don't need PS+ for most of these games but I'm refusing to buy these consoles as a matter of principle.

Your a better man than me. I'd rather have a blast in res. evil than principle.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,208 Valuable Player
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^^Yeap, psplus is not really needed for PSVR stuff as most of the good ones are single player anyway, i have a PS4 pro and have gotten by without having any PSplus for games like Wipeout vR, RE7, Astorbot, Golf VR, Rush of Blood, Driveclub VR....and even some mutiplatform ports are great, Skyrimvr, Borderlands 2 VR, PBFX2 VR, as sometime you just want some VR while relaxing in your comfy chair with a joypad, and not dancing around the room. lol
    Yeah, I bought my PS4 pro + PSVR for Wipeout, RE7 and Astro Bot. 
    Astro Bot exceeded my (big) expectations.
    Re7 was as good as I hoped for, but while Wipeout is a great game, the hardware lets it down. 60fps (redrawn twice for 120hz) is simply too little for such a fast racer imo. 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Neo
    ^^I just hope Sony don't go all cheap and go for LCD panels instead of sticking with OLED, that would be a deal breaker for me as i simply cannot deal with LCD HMDs now, i mean the PSVR might be way lower res per eye but that OLED panel more than makes up for it in clarity, colour depth and those wonderful rich deep black levels.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,208 Valuable Player
    Actually the PSVR has more subpixels than the CV1
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Neo
    ^^And not on single godray i might add, so i hope Sony stick with those lens or even better.
  • KarstenS80KarstenS80 Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    Is there some reason nobody else is using lenses like in PSVR?

Every frensel lense I've seen till now is far behind the PSVR lenses in case of clarity.
    Neo
    ^^I think Oculus and HTC had already laid down the specs for their units and they were in mass production by the time Sony decided to throw their hat into the ring, hence Sony might have had more options as to the lens that they could choose from, but one cavet to that is the PSVR like the WMR hmds that all come with better lens all have smaller sweetspots, with the WMR having the smallest sweetspot of any HMD i have owned, the PSVR is a bit larger, and the Vive and Cv1 are a bit bigger again sweetspot wise, so maybe that is why Oculus and Vive choose those ones.
  • KarstenS80KarstenS80 Posts: 89
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 23
    Sony was working since 2010 on PSVR (and even earlier on other MHD like "Glasstron").

The announcement of Oculus Rift did in my opinion just forced Sony to release it soon or never.

But I don't think there was much time to change alot of what they had till this moment.

Here you find an article about it: https://www.polygon.com/2016/3/9/11174194/the-making-of-playstation-vr
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,558 Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 23
    The Fresnels in the S and Quest are a lot better than CV1, I think it's just a matter of each generation of lens being better than the ones that went before, like most other technical advances.

I think software devs should still steer clear of too high a ration with OLED screened HMDs though. 

I wasn't a fan of Fresnels when I moved from DK2 to CV1, the rays were very obtrusive in high contrast scenes and contrast was effected in low contrast scenes, but I'm amazed how much the technology has improved in just a few years and hopefully will continue to.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.719)
    edited February 23
    Fresnel lenses were introduced to help with screen door effect in the Oculus CV1 and because they were cheaper to make. Give me PlayStation VR lenses over the cheaper Fresnel lenses any day, or just revert back to Oculus DK2 lenses and I'll be more than happy. With LCD displays and higher resolutions we don't really need Fresnel for screen door IMHO.

PlayStation VR does a good job and it has the lowest resolution of all VR headsets.

A new video was released with... PS5 Details??