New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Rift S is by far the worst tech I have ever dealt with.

Just a bit of an angry rant due to purchasing what has amounted to a 649aud paper weight.

When purchasing this headset, nowhere does it mention that a SPECIFIC TYPE of USB 3 is required. After nearly 15 hours of troubleshooting this piece of shit still will not work. After trying literally everything and having more than the required specs, it still fails to work. 

USB Compatible
USB Incompatible
Headset Sensor Check Failed.

Been with Oculus since the DK2 days, and this garbage Rift S has convinced me to buy a different headset.

Comments

• kobs57kobs57 Posts: 185
    Art3mis
    edited January 25
    What type of USB 3 does it require? (I have the regular rift)
    Or do you mean you only have USB-2 ports?
    If you do have USB3 ports it might just be your motherboard USB ports that cannot supply the juice
    VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 
    32 gigs of Corsair Vengence RGB memory,
     MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-450 Gaming plus motherboard,
    EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a Samsung 970 evo M.2 V nand 1TB on board SSD   
  • YOUR_REAL_DADYOUR_REAL_DAD Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Yeah ive tried everything. It started off ok even though I have the ASMedia USB 3.0, but the headset sensor check failed. So i bought a PCIe USB 3.0 card, that did't work.

Tried both driver tytpes on the PCIe Card, they didnt work.
    Updated BIOS, that didn't work.
    Disabled USB 3 Legacy support in BIOS, that didn't work.
    Updated GPU drivers, that didn't work.
    Re installed Oculus software 5 times, that did'nt work.
    Tried generic microsoft USB 3 drivers, that didn't work.
    Plugged and unplugged the rift 400 thousand times, that didn't work.
    Tried powered USB hub, that didn't work.
    Went through Oculus Support, that didn't work.
    Enabled camera privacy settings, that didn't work.
    Disable USB power management, that didn't work.
    Fresh install of Windows, that didn't work.

Come to the conclusion that this "plug and Play" headset is in fact a piece of hot garbage.......Well that did work.

I am returning it 100% and never coming near Oculus again. A plug and play product should not have this many issues.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,332 Valuable Player
    edited January 26
    I believe the original Rift (CV1) is of much better quality than Rift-S, you could consider getting a CV1 (the CV1 sound is incredible). I just bought another one, in case my old one gets in trouble ;)

I constantly turn my CV1 on and off - off when I use the Index - but it's never been a problem, CV1 seems as steady as a usb flash drive, it always gets detected with no errors. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • VR2018FRVR2018FR Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah ive tried everything. It started off ok even though I have the ASMedia USB 3.0, but the headset sensor check failed. So i bought a PCIe USB 3.0 card, that did't work.

Tried both driver tytpes on the PCIe Card, they didnt work.
    Updated BIOS, that didn't work.
    Disabled USB 3 Legacy support in BIOS, that didn't work.
    Updated GPU drivers, that didn't work.
    Re installed Oculus software 5 times, that did'nt work.
    Tried generic microsoft USB 3 drivers, that didn't work.
    Plugged and unplugged the rift 400 thousand times, that didn't work.
    Tried powered USB hub, that didn't work.
    Went through Oculus Support, that didn't work.
    Enabled camera privacy settings, that didn't work.
    Disable USB power management, that didn't work.
    Fresh install of Windows, that didn't work.

Come to the conclusion that this "plug and Play" headset is in fact a piece of hot garbage.......Well that did work.

I am returning it 100% and never coming near Oculus again. A plug and play product should not have this many issues.

just try older drivers : here are my oculus drivers files  from october 5th taken from my offline computer maybe it will help ?
    here are the links of the files you can download from  my google drive
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ci5-Lepj3hV4bphwZGxv0lvNw6EGwiDO?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I4TyDIymDwMV3RWuTZJYDU-HywriAYfW?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1se7OliWdRfmFn_dbtzg1pMM00qLNxVWl?usp=sharing

just replace the files  in your  c:\programmes\oculus\support\ 

reboot your computer ,click on the oculus  launcher that will detect those drivers are not up to date and  it will start again to update with latest drivers, and it will work like a charm ( except that i cannot access the oculus home)

PS : I previously followed the method posted  on redit : https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/eoy744/rift_s_display_port_not_found_fix_driver_rollback/

and it worked and stopped working and worked and stopped and so on, now with my former files from my offline computer it  seems to be  stable.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,029 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    I believe the original Rift (CV1) is of much better quality than Rift-S, you could consider getting a CV1 (the CV1 sound is incredible). I just bought another one, in case my old one gets in trouble ;)

I constantly turn my CV1 on and off - off when I use the Index - but it's never been a problem, CV1 seems as steady as a usb flash drive, it always gets detected with no errors. 

Just don't get the CV1 all sweaty. I made a big mistake playing Thrill Of the Fight and doing 9 Rounds of 3 min boxing for a week. It cause the headband padding to peel off at the back. I then stuck it down with Gorilla glue and found out my left side audio no-longer worked  :'(
    Art3mis
    edited January 26
    The original rift isn't that good compared to what's hitting the market these days, it's like comparing an Athlon processor to the Ryzen 3rd gen and in any case Oculus  threw it overboard and no longer cares for it, no replacement parts no support. Would you really buy something else from a Co. that leaves thousands of peoples who believed in them in the ditch? I'm not, when my rift break i'm either buying a Valve or a Pimax

To the Op, have you tried it in someone else's computer? Or if you have another machine you can swap your rift capable parts into to try it out, that way you would at least know if it's the rift or your PC
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Just don't get the CV1 all sweaty. I made a big mistake playing Thrill Of the Fight and doing 9 Rounds of 3 min boxing for a week. It cause the headband padding to peel off at the back. I then stuck it down with Gorilla glue and found out my left side audio no-longer worked  :'(
    That sounds bad - maybe you can use some bluetooth headphones? I just got a new facial interface, but that's for the front, not sure I've ever seen replacements for the back... Also got a new (refurbished) CV1 (with all cables, but no sensors or Touch) for $170, maybe you can find a similar deal - good headphones easily become expensive. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Art3mis
    edited January 26
    Been using headphones on mine 4 months after I got it out of the box, the left ear just went bye bye so I took them off of the headset been using headphones ever since.
    We're getting off topic though  :|
    edited January 26
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:

That sounds bad - maybe you can use some bluetooth headphones? I just got a new facial interface, but that's for the front, not sure I've ever seen replacements for the back... Also got a new (refurbished) CV1 (with all cables, but no sensors or Touch) for $170, maybe you can find a similar deal - good headphones easily become expensive. 

Would Bluetooth headphones work? Did you get your refurbished headset from Oculus?

@kobs57 - What headset do you use? I can find a lead long enough. The guy won't mind it's off topic because he's returned his Rift S  :)
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Would Bluetooth headphones work? Did you get your refurbished headset from Oculus?

@kobs57 - What headset do you use? I can find a lead long enough. The guy won't mind it's off topic because he's returned his Rift S  :)

Bluetooth headphones should work, but I have not tested it - but this dude got it working with Rift-S:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/79290/disable-rift-s-speakers-when-using-bluetooth-headset#latest

But if the left audio is dead, maybe there's a relatively simple solution?

Ps. Bought my refurbished CV1 on eBay.

Tried that wire trick and it seems impossible to do LOL. I spent 2 hours trying to trap the wire but I couldn't get it to work.
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 270
    Nexus 6
    RedRizla said:

Would Bluetooth headphones work?

Yes, if one is having issues with the Rift or Rfit S sound, it's as simple as disabling the Rift or Rift S sound in the sound mixer and enabling the bluetooth headphones for use with either HMD.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1909
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...

edited January 26
    RuneSR2 said:

I saw this @RuneSR2, but I'm just not keen on the idea of it coming like that with only 30 days to return it. I'm currently saving up money to buy a Valve index or anything else that comes along. I was hoping Oculus would do an update version of the Rift S, but I doubt we will see another stand alone PC VR headset from them for a long time, if ever now. I also don't know if Oculus will just choose to no-longer support outside in tracking and just halt support for it like they did with DK2. Cheers for looking though.

I just wish someone would bring out a VR headset that has higher resolution displays like the HP Reverb, but with better tracking and controllers. That is the kind of VR headset I'm looking to upgrade to if ever one arrives. I wish HP would do a refresh and like add more camera's and get rid of the shitty rigid cable.

I thought Rift CV1 was well made, but it falls to bits once you start sweating in it. All the padding on the head strap starts to peel away. :/
    edited January 26
    Never had any problems with my CV1, but I don't sweat much in it. I know the Index has it share of problems, but maybe it does have the build quality you're looking for. 
    So far Boneworks is the only game to tap into the Index' potential, because you need those ultra high-res textures, maybe a good idea to make CV1 last a few months more...  When Alyx arrives it may be a good time to consider getting a new hmd. 

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,158 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

Yes, if one is having issues with the Rift or Rfit S sound, it's as simple as disabling the Rift or Rift S sound in the sound mixer and enabling the bluetooth headphones for use with either HMD.
    Bluetooth headphones work ok but they have a fair amount of latency/delay compared to wired.  If you mirror your audio to your PC speakers you will see what I mean.

Aside; I VR in a nice airconditioned room and have a couple of desk fans blowing at me so for the most part I don't really break into a sweat of have any fogging.  No VR headsets are sweat-proof imho.  If you want to sweat like a pig, go to the gym, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited January 26
    TomCgcmfc said:
    RedRizla said:

Bluetooth headphones work ok but they have a fair amount of latency/delay compared to wired.  If you mirror your audio to your PC speakers you will see what I mean.

Aside; I VR in a nice airconditioned room and have a couple of desk fans blowing at me so for the most part I don't really break into a sweat of have any fogging.  No VR headsets are sweat-proof imho.  If you want to sweat like a pig, go to the gym, lol!

Depends if get get a good bluetooth device or not when it comes to latency. Not all bluetooth headsets are out of sync or I doubt they would sell any. Lots of people use them for Netflix on their phones from what I've read about them and they say the lips are in sync with their headphones.

Try playing thrill Of the fight for nine 3 min rounds and I'll guarantee you sweat regardless of a fan or airconditioning. That's if you could even make it to 9 rounds without passing out first. I threw 900 punches in those 9 rounds, so meet the next Joe Calzaghe :D

Edit: Pished off it destroyed my Rift being Joe Calzaghe though.
    All Bluetooth headsets have latency.  That’s why you won’t see any professional gamers using them.  Most gamers won’t notice the latency as long as you don’t mirror the audio so others can hear it.

Btw, I’m not a big fan of vr boxing games because flailing around without actually hitting something does not do anything for me.  If I find the need to beat the crap out of something I just take it out on my boxing/martial arts dummy, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited January 26
    Box VR always makes me sweat too, but I have not used that app for long, lol. 

Having used both oled and lcd for the last 6 months, I really need an oled display, and preferably one that supports asw 2.0 for the demanding games. You need it for the games using or greatly profiting from temporal antialiasing - and for the blacks - and for making low res textures look great due to the SDE (who'd have thought I'd ever grow to like the SDE). It's either CV1 or Quest for Asgard's Wrath, Stormland and I'd say Saint's & Sinners too. And if the Lone Echo 2 trailer is like the game, then we're in for more temporal antialiasing. Sure Lone Echo can be played using Index, but jaggies are everywhere - until you activate 4xMSAA and high levels of super sampling, but then I'm way below 45 fps using Index, and I doubt 3080 Ti will be strong enough to reach 90 fps. Temporal antialiasing removes all jaggies and looks perfect using CV1, but it destroys image quality and makes everything extremely blurry using lcd hmds. Stormland looks perfect using CV1 ss 2.0 + TAA, but getting Index to look similarly requires tons of gpu power, not even sure res 200% + SMAA (Stormland does not support 4xMSAA) will get me there - but then we're talking 3080 Ti or better again. Much easier to use CV1 with TAA, asw 2.0 and ss 2.0 ;)

So it's either CV1 or Quest - and then you can add whatever lcd hmd you'd like for fun ;) The greatest error Valve made was not to use oled for the Index, but of course I do appreciate the subpixels and no SDE in the very few games that so far have been thoroughly optimized for the Index (Pistol Whip and Boneworks) - and all the other bright games that work flawlessly nonetheless. 

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,159 Valuable Player
    Yeah Bluetooth sucks for most things, imo. I use Bluetooth headphones at the gym but only because the delay doesn't harm anything in that situation. I'm able to listen to music hands-free while hitting the weights. Other than that, I tend to avoid Bluetooth entirely.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited January 26
    Well if Bluetooth turns out to be shite then that's me in the shite. I don't want to have to use a wired headset on my CV1 because it just adds another cable and another extension cable. So is Bluetooth shite for gaming in VR or just in movies where you notice lip sync?

Btw, I’m not a big fan of vr boxing games because flailing around without actually hitting something does not do anything for me.  If I find the need to beat the crap out of something I just take it out on my boxing/martial arts dummy, lol!

The problem with using a dummy is that it doesn't throw punches back to test your agility to block a punch. It's not just flailing about playing some of these VR boxing games, it's like what they call shadow boxing only it's better then that and is good for training. Not good if it's going to make your VR headset fall apart though like it has mine :D

edited January 26
    RedRizla said:
    The problem with using a dummy is that it doesn't throw punches back to test your agility to block a punch. It's not just flailing about playing some of these VR boxing games, it's like what they call shadow boxing only it's better then that and is good for training.
    hmm, no offense but something tells me that you probably haven't done much combat training, based on what you just said right there. I've done plenty of combat training IRL, against real people and dummies. And I've racked up many hours in VR Boxing games like Creed. One thing I can tell you for sure, is that nothing about what is happening with the current state of VR Boxing is going to help increase your ability to block a punch or test your agility.

Humans are not scripted dude. And VR Boxing won't prepare you for someone who is holding your hands while they proceed to headbutt you; or drop you on your arse with a leg sweep.

VR Boxing is only good for one thing: Burning calories via a cardio exercise.

But the biggest mistake with your comment is that it completely overlooks the benefit of conditioning ones body to withstand "impact." Go punch a dummy with all your strength for just 30 minutes, and see how many different parts of your body end up sore as hell. Shadow boxing does absolutely nothing to prepare ones muscles for "impact," which is the Number 1 requirement for all physical combat.

I strongly recommend that anyone avoid fighting IRL if your only training is a VR boxing video game omg
    Thanks Zen, I agree with all that.  I still enjoy beating the crap out of a training dummy once in a while so I can help keep a little zip in my punches.  Also, at my age it's nice that they usually do not hit back (mines on a weighted sand filled base so it sometimes rocks back at me).  

At least Rizz should be developing strong neck muscles if he is using his Reverb's heavy ball and chain of a cable, lol!  

In my competitive wrestling days I used to be able to 'neck bridge' so well I was pretty hard to pin.  Now that I'm an old fart I'm hard pressed to neck bridge my bum off the ground. lol!

edited January 26
    I'm in my early 40's, but I still hit the bag often. I don't punch much anymore to help save my wrists; but I do throw lots of elbows, knees, and kicks.

I know the benefits of hitting a real object vs merely doing a cardio routine, as I've learned it the hard way when I took over a year off of training and tried to elbow a bag. The impact rocked my spine, and I was struggling to continue hitting with the same force/speed because while my arms could take it, my back/spine could not. After 6+ weeks of torture though, my body was back in business and I can attack a bag for an hour without feeling like my upper body is going to crumble.

But personal experience aside, the real pro's in the world of Boxing, MMA, etc, have been using 'impact training' for years to do everything from cardio, conditioning, and developing punching power. The Sledgehammer/Tire routine is probably my favorite workout of all time.

There's also a review of 14 headphones for VR here, both wired and wireless:

https://www.techconsumerguide.com/best-headphones-for-oculus/

The wireless headphones use Bluetooth, seems like the reviewer did not notice latency, but the Koss model does support the AptX low latency tech, not sure the Sennheiser model does though. Again, I have not tried these headphones, maybe a good idea to buy from a shop where you can return them without too much hassle... 

edited January 27
    @Zenbane - I used to do a bit of Boxing down at the gym when I was younger and I watch my cousin fight who is right into his Boxing. Creed isn't a good boxing game but "Thrill of the Fight" in VR is quite a good test of ones agility to duck out of the way of certain punches. There are only a certain amount of punches and combinations you can throw in boxing otherwise you would be flailing your arms about like Tom suggested. I know outside of a boxing ring things are different I've had my fair share to know what it's like.

I said a test dummy doesn't hit back as a joke. I know what a punch bag is there for and how it serves many other purpose like moving in and out of it for one. 

@RuneSR2 - I'm going to try some Bluetooth ones and I'll let you know how I get on just incase you ever need them. I don't think it will be that noticeable in games because I once got some to watch movies and the lip sync was only slightly out. I think it's probably in films that it is most annoying, but I can always send them back if they are no good. I appreciate the link you put up. Cheers!
    All Bluetooth headsets have some latency.

TomCgcmfc said:

Have you tried this technology? I think it will be alright for gaming like the fella says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYCRRnvNv0
    edited January 27
    RedRizla said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Have you tried this technology? I think it will be alright for gaming like the fella says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOYCRRnvNv0
    It might also be a factor if you're just into some casual gaming or trying to win the CSGO World Championship 2020  B)

I have 16 ms input lag using the plasma for pancakes, but 32 ms when I enable more enhanced image processing - the 32 never bothered me, but I'm into casual gaming. Sound may not be similar, but some of the best AptX headphones are close to 30 ms.