New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Coronavirus Impact on VR Goods from China

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,018 Valuable Player
Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this with regards to products made in China. Things like the Valve Index and Pimax headsets are manufactured in this country not sure about Rift. Does the current lock-down mean delays in these and many other goods coming from the region especially after CNY. Not so much for fear of spreading the virus as that's virtually impossible but delays due to the restrictions on the workforce? Any ideas?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,585 Valuable Player
    Hard to say - it the media it sounds scarier than it really is atm. I know some companies shutdown the office locations - but not the factories themselves. I would say everything will be hit by a 10% less production at this time. Witch is a lot really - but still ok in terms of getting units out. I thought also that Oculus products were made mainly in china - but had another production plant some place else as well and one in the US? Maybe I am wrong. 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,975 Valuable Player
    Great point @Shadowmask72 - am just researching the very point for an upcoming feature. It would look like that there are four ways the Corona Virus (or as I like to call it #WinnieTheFlu) will impact VR in the West:

- Delay on manufacturer exports (also impacted by the latest trade tariff war)
    - Impact in new announcement as Chinese corporations gauge impact
    - Spares and service support impacted (if situated in China)
    - Software development delays as Chinese corporations gauge impact

Hopefully this will be a minimal blip - and as with SAR's the disease will play its self out, but that blip could impact release dates, and this does not even cover the issues regarding exhibition attendance from and too China. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,018 Valuable Player
    Just got this (VR related kind-of),
    Dear Woojerers!

Over the past week, many of you have been concerned about whether the Coronavirus outbreak in China will affect the production timeline.
    Yesterday we were notified by the factory management that the directive of the Chinese government is that their New Year layover has been extended to February the 10th. We are of course following closely the situation and will do our best to eliminate any further delays as much as humanly possible.
    We'd like to send our heartfelt wishes to all of our Chinese backers and extended families. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. 

We pray that the virus will be contained and not turn into a pandemic.

Keep safe! 

Team Woojer

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,558 Valuable Player
    edited January 30
    The Index kit comes from China, suddenly it might be a lot more exciting opening new kits! 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    The impact of an extended holiday forced on the sector by Government/State would have major knock-ons, but again these would have to be based on duration. The Just-in-Time manufacturing approach that all corporations employ will be disrupted no matter what, but there are lead-times that can be adjusted. At some point in the next week or so there will be a crush point were lead-times can not be shaved and that impacts will be felt. This will be seen in mobile phone launches at Mobile Conference next month - and that should give us an idea of the impact on other platforms.   
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,284 Valuable Player
    Perhaps these headset manufacturers could do some sort of deal with the VR Cover company to ensure that people don't get infected headsets delivered..?  :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,990 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    The Index kit comes from China, suddenly it might be a lot more exciting opening new kits!
    My outer Rift-S shipping box included some strange giant ant (still alive, but I quickly soaked it with insecticide).

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,990 Volunteer Moderator
    Just got this (VR related kind-of),
    Dear Woojerers!

Over the past week, many of you have been concerned about whether the Coronavirus outbreak in China will affect the production timeline.
    Yesterday we were notified by the factory management that the directive of the Chinese government is that their New Year layover has been extended to February the 10th. We are of course following closely the situation and will do our best to eliminate any further delays as much as humanly possible.
    We'd like to send our heartfelt wishes to all of our Chinese backers and extended families. Our prayers and thoughts are with you. 

We pray that the virus will be contained and not turn into a pandemic.

Keep safe! 

Team Woojer
    The exact same message was posted on the Oculus subreddit, except with "Dear Indexers" and "Team Valve", but otherwise identical.

So, which was the original? I have a feeling the Woojer one is.
    New account posted it as well. Fake news spreading.

• OldSpyGuy1OldSpyGuy1 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I am waiting for my Quest to be manufactured.  My current ship date is Feb 21.  I suspect that won't hold.  Does anyone know that the factory has reopened?
  • AhyoteAhyote Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Mine is supposed to ship on March 3rd. My biggest fear is what we do not know about the Coronavirus. It was just confirmed it is airborne, that means it can be caught without direct contact. They said the surface life of the virus is roughly 5 days on an object until the virus dies. Hopefully that is actually correct, so that products we get that are manufactured in China are no risk.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,204 Valuable Player
    Ahyote said:
    Mine is supposed to ship on March 3rd. My biggest fear is what we do not know about the Coronavirus. It was just confirmed it is airborne, that means it can be caught without direct contact. They said the surface life of the virus is roughly 5 days on an object until the virus dies. Hopefully that is actually correct, so that products we get that are manufactured in China are no risk.
    I dont think it's a worry. If it is we are all in trouble. Do you know how many items we buy from china? Yup zillions.
    NerveGear
    I just got an order update saying my order was processed and my Quest is being prepared for shipping.  So, I am hoping for the best and also hoping it comes with Vader Immortal since I ordered it on December 28th.  (Oculus is showing my invoice date as February 2nd.)
    My Woojer update suggests Chinese Government extended the period of rest until Feb 19th now.

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 718
    Trinity
    edited February 11
    maybe if they held the product in quarantine for a week it would kill whatever is in the box. so if your worried just keep it boxed up for a week then open it.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,734 Valuable Player
    WHO says that the virus life on surfaces is 5 days.  Any packages I get from China usually will have been in transit 5-10 days anyway so I'm not too worried.  However, I'll tell my wife (aka The Inspector General) not to open anything of mine for a while.  Win-win, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

NerveGear
    A UPS shipping label has been created for both my Quest and the case I ordered with it.  Crossing my fingers it will be on it's way soon.
  • ryandh23ryandh23 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I got a notice today that my Quest is preparing to ship. Ordered January 17. 
    NerveGear
    UPS says I should receive my Quest Feb 13th.  My original ship date was Feb 21st.
    Well the virus has caused a major impact against the VR scene - this show was to have seen launches of a number of new systems held off showing at CES:

https://www.cnet.com/news/gsma-officially-cancels-mwc-2020-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0b&PostType=link&ServiceType=twitter&TheTime=2020-02-12T18%3A45%3A12&UniqueID=CD28976C-4DC7-11EA-88ED-0D6996E8478F
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Very sad, I was looking forward to hearing about new VR developments.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-51474116

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,865 Valuable Player
    Coronavirus has come to my State! Only a matter of time before it tries to infiltrate Casa Grayskull.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • BlancMargaritaBlancMargarita Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I order an oqulus quest on January 4th and today i received a mail saying my order is in process to be shipping , in the page my shipping date is feb 28 so i hope i get it soon. 
    Over here in the UK people have started to call it the Kung Flu lol 😂😂😂
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Our April/2020 cruise around Japan with Celebrity cruises got cancelled yesterday (full refund plus 25% discount on any future Celebrity cruises).  They are cancelling their remaining 2020 Asian cruise season and redeploying their ships to the west coast of North America.  I hope they don't bring any stowaway bugs with them, lol!

I heard someone on the radio the other day saying they had booked a cruise to that part of the world and the travel agents wouldn't give them a refund for cancelling it. They didn't have any luck with ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents) either surprisingly.

snowdog said:
    I heard someone on the radio the other day saying they had booked a cruise to that part of the world and the travel agents wouldn't give them a refund for cancelling it. They didn't have any luck with ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents) either surprisingly.

Yeah, that was Radio 4 - they (ABTA) have now reversed previous decisions! They are already getting a major black-eye, no need to make it worse!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **