New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

USB 3.0 "Connection Required"

TopShelfSnip3rTopShelfSnip3r Posts: 2
NerveGear
edited January 31 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
So yesterday I was playing fine with the VR the next day I come up with this problem. "USB 3 Connection Required" It's like the oculus app doesn't even recognize my usb 3.0 being plugged in my desktop and I made sure it's in a 3.0 port. I've plugged in every 3.0 port possible and it still says USB 3 Connection Required. I went into the device manager tried to update my usb 3.0 but it says it's at the latest version, i've tried to uninstall the usb and plug it back in multiple times. My display port works fine and my Rift S says Connected and active when I put on the headset it has 3 dots with the oculus symbol and a black screen with my controllers sitting 1 meter below me. In the device manager it shows that the USB 3.0 from the VR cable works fine. I did everything I can and don't know what to do I need help :disappointed:
It's been a month since I started playing VR.

Tagged:

Comments

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 835
    Trinity
    Have you plugged any other USB device in ?, start oculus wait a min, then plug HMD in.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • TopShelfSnip3rTopShelfSnip3r Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited January 31
    Yea I tried didn't work I unplugged everything and plugged the HMD in and same results it's like the software doesn't recognize the USB 3.0 and i don't know why it says USB 2 here. Its plugged in a 3.0 port so idk why it shows USB 2
  • kobs57kobs57 Posts: 204
    Nexus 6
    I'd get a USB-3 card that plugs into one of your PCI-E slots, it could be your motherboard USB chip
    VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
    32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
     MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
    EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
    Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Trinity
    I second that - what you think is USB 3.0 looks like its a USB 2.0.  Now whether is is USB 3 or not is irrelevant at this point because Oculus is detecting it as USB 2.0, so its either a driver issue, or its a USB 2.0.  A USB 3.0 card with the correct drivers should fix that for you.
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
  • Andrewj556Andrewj556 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I am at a total loss here. Everything was working fine with my Oculus Quest and Link cable, then 3 weeks ago I can't get it to connect, it's stating not connected to USB 3.0. My PC only has USB 3.0 and 3.1. I have since bought another Link Cable (Type-C to Type-C with USB-A adaptor) still not working, even bought a PCI-E USB 3.0 slot and fitted, still nothing stating not USB 3.0. All my drivers are up to date and I'm on the V13 and PB Beta 14.

Does anyone have a solution please?
    Trinity
    Have you changed anything in the bios ?
  • kranckykrancky Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I'm having the exact same issue on oculus quest.
  • HHawk396HHawk396 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    krancky said:
    I'm having the exact same issue on oculus quest.
    Same problem here, every single USB slot is recognized as a USB 2.0, even thogh they all are USB 3.0 or 3.1.
    And it is not a question of if they are wired correctly, since 2 of them are fitted directly on the motherboard.. Every driver is the latest too...

Trinity
    edited March 24
    How do you know you have USB 3.0
  • LuhxeLuhxe Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Its a Oculus issue not a 3.0 USB problem
  • smschuesssmschuess Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same exact issue.
    Trinity
    Luhxe said:
    Its a Oculus issue not a 3.0 USB problem
    If that were true I would be having the issue too.
  • zed85zed85 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    same issue here.. used to play without any problem with my both laptop and usb 3.0 compatible cable.. today i wanted to try half life alyx and i can't make it work the quest is not recognised as plugged in a usb 3.0 but instead usb 2.0 tried on both comptuer and i got the same problem.. i have resetted oculus quest to factory settings and re installed the oculus app nothing works.. still getting the same message oculus quest connected to usb 2.0
  • tarlynislazytarlynislazy Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited April 1

NerveGear
    Yeah I think we just have to wait or we have to update it

• Chucky96Chucky96 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Umpa_PC said:

Because it was working for 2 months and now it does not...after 1 update it stopped detecting usb3 ports.My 3.0 ports did not become 2.0 all of the sudden ;)  And i did try on friends comp asrock z370 pro4 it has only 3.0 ports.And his 2080geforce has type c usb 3 dedicated port and same shit happening.
    Trinity
    Chucky96 said:
    Umpa_PC said:

Because it was working for 2 months and now it does not...after 1 update it stopped detecting usb3 ports.My 3.0 ports did not become 2.0 all of the sudden ;)  And i did try on friends comp asrock z370 pro4 it has only 3.0 ports.And his 2080geforce has type c usb 3 dedicated port and same shit happening.
    Now thats bizarre, It does not work on both computers ?
    That suggests a faulty cable.   Because I am not having issues, that confirms the software is good.  Its the same logic just from opposite sides.  Which one is correct ? 
  • Chucky96Chucky96 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited March 29
    "that confirms the software is good" omg do u even read patch notes? check twitter atm u will see some examples

Oculus: "We're aware of an issue affecting Rift on PC, and we're working on resolving now."

software is bad but it could be that cable just stopped working after update  ;)

Trinity
    edited March 29
    I once had an xbox360 go red ring of death after an update - and here I was thinking it was a GPU problem it must have been microsoft's software after all
  • FavaropFavarop Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same problem here, during 1 month all was ok and since yesterday occulus link is not working...
    (sorry my english is bad)
  • QuadrobsQuadrobs Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same thing happening here after oculas update my perfectly fine working vr headset that i've had since August is now saying it don't have USB 3 and instead i have a USB 2 hmm very strange. Pls fix :(
  • Absurd_Nerd_99Absurd_Nerd_99 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
     iv'e been looking for a fix for months, and when the first time i got the first problem fixed (display port issue) I got this problem with the USB 2.0, i'm starting to think that there is something that causes bugs in the software of either the computer or the rift/rift s for some people. but somehow it does not happen for everyone
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
     iv'e been looking for a fix for months, and when the first time i got the first problem fixed (display port issue) I got this problem with the USB 2.0, i'm starting to think that there is something that causes bugs in the software of either the computer or the rift/rift s for some people. but somehow it does not happen for everyone
    Absolutely. Its definitely a problem with USB which is coming into play depending your motherboard, but its even happening with newer model motherboards. At the same time it seems like there may be batches of Rifts that are defective or at least more susceptible to this. A guy posted here that runs lots of Rift S' commercially (Video Arcade?). He posted that he has dozens of headsets all running off identical computer setups. Half have this problem and half don't. 

The thing is that very few had this problem at all until they released version 12 driver in December. Overnight this issue started to flood the forums and it has only increased in recent months. They broke something badly and can't seem to figure out how to fix it. 
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • novak.blakenovak.blake Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited March 30
    New Quest owner, i know it is kind of much to complain about this but i just pulled the headset out of the box... Updated the firmware on the headset and the pc i use, mind you it's rocking an i7-8700k, rtx2070 on a asus prime z370 2 mobo and it is giving me the same issues... Whether i plug it right into the mobo, or i try plugging it into the usb c port on the graphics card... It just tells me that i need to use a usb c port -.- kinda pissed i cannot play a single one of my steam vr games and i am either forced to buy games off the oculus store or let my new vr headset be a paperweight....

Before anyone tries to say "Why didn't you buy an actual wired headset" This was a gift from an uncle for this whole covid quarantine situation, it was a free headset so i did not have a choice in the matter. Regardless the compute itself recognizes the device is there, i have trouble shooted all this and yet i still get thrown the same damn error of "Use USB C port hur duuurrrrr" While it's plugged directly into a usb c port -.-

*Edit* I am using the provided USB C cable which is even their official link cable that came with the headset... Plugged it into my mobo, and my graphics card... Tried a USB C-USB 3 cable that changed nothing, latest firmware and everything... Really pissed i cannot play any of my games right now
  • Andrewe1Andrewe1 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst

*Edit* I am using the provided USB C cable which is even their official link cable that came with the headset... Plugged it into my mobo, and my graphics card... Tried a USB C-USB 3 cable that changed nothing, latest firmware and everything... Really pissed i cannot play any of my games right now
    The included usb C cable is NOT the official Link cable, nor does it work with Link functionality. You can either buy the official cable for 80 USD, or find a compatible usb cable for much cheaper. Search for "oculus link compatible usb cables" and you should head in the right direction. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,309 Valuable Player
    Andrewe1 said:

The included usb C cable is NOT the official Link cable, nor does it work with Link functionality. You can either buy the official cable for 80 USD, or find a compatible usb cable for much cheaper. Search for "oculus link compatible usb cables" and you should head in the right direction. 
    Yes this. Included cable that came with Quest is for charging only, it can not handle the data throughput required of Oculus Link.
    As mentioned you can find a compatible USB 3 cable that may work or may have issues. Mine worked best with the official Oculus Link cable, been rock solid for me every time.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • KFHviking45KFHviking45 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hi! 
    I had the same issue for days now, meaning everything was fine then all of a sudden my USB port was recognized as 2.0 instead of 3.0 - this is how I fixed it: 
    - Make sure your VR Device and the PC Software is on the same major version (14 in my case), and don`t enable any beta updates. 
    -Unplug the USB cable from your PC! (Not your VR Device) 
    -Turn your VR Device off and on
    -Turn your computer off (restart might work, but I suspect it retains power on USB and it might not work) 
    After doing this, everything worked fine for me. I don`t really know why but it seems to have something to do with how the USB is initialized and it doesen`t like that the headset is plugged in when booting your PC. 

I hope this helps someone else, please let me know it if does so we can share this "fix".. 
    NerveGear
    edited April 1
    KFHviking45 I'm not sure if this will work out for me but thx for helping people that need it

• bzwillbzwill Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I've had this same problem for weeks and for no reason today it worked when i first plugged in the Quest - during that time I changed the cable to one which failed, then changed back, and then the original configuration didnt work any more.

Since then it hasnt worked again despite many restarts of both devices etc.

The above solutions from KFHviking45 also didnt work for me.

Have emailed support and they have so far only suggested a full reinstall of Oculus, plus updating USB and Video Card drivers (USB driver link in help for intel does not offer a Win10 driver).
  • Mazda_RonMazda_Ron Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    edited May 8
    I've just discovered my CV1 headset is showing as USB 2, when it is infact plugged into the USB 3 pci card oculus recommend https://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4p-usb-3-0-pci-express-karte-mit-4-usb-3-0-ports.html ( and I've had for years )

the only solution for me is to unplug all devices on the pci card and plug oculus in first after the computer has booted and oculus opened, this needs to be done every computer boot.

I can either disable and re enable the pci card in device manager or manually do the unplug and replug for it to show as usb 3, incredibly annoying and must have only happened recently, I've gone years without having to unplug the rift.

for what its worth, sensors are still detecting correctly and have no issues, they are on mobo ports.

The cv1 headset is not detecting USB 3.0 even using the exact same ports on mobo, so this is an oculus issue.