cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Rift S review (Cons of Rift S)

Luke-san
Honored Guest
I have had my Rift S for about a week and a half now, but even though this is the first headset I have bought I have had experiences with friends headsets. So far I can only really describe the Rift S as cutting corners. Firstly the lenses, I was pretty disappointed to learn that my experience would be tainted because the lenses are in a fixed position. I was surprised that the Oculus team decided to only give the people whom have the average pupil distance the full experience, and even though you can adjust the IPD in software it does not effect the physical lens distance and can only help my big headed kind so much, forever making me practically illiterate. Second issue is the cord, as the Oculus team should know that pulling on the cord will eventually damage the headset and yet they chose to fix the cord to the headset so when it breaks you have to send it back to get it fixed or buy a new one. Instead of using the current fixed cable, making the cord detachable on both sides so the cord would take the damage and could be replaced at a cheaper price. Lastly this is a VR headset, it is meant to be sturdy because the user would be moving and whipping their head around. So when I discovered that my piece that connects the head supporter and headset together has a crack already, I was pretty mindblown. I saved up and paid $400 for this product and waited 2 weeks for it to deliver. (also the speakers in it are very low quality, but I don't really care about it just use earbuds or a wireless headset like me)

Other than that, tracking is good, gameplay is good. It's just these three fatal hardware issues that need to be fixed, and I hope that these issues are fixed and that if they are fixed, owners of the Rift S would be notified that there have been fixes to the hardware and offer a free upgrade in exchange for their old Rift S. The Oculus team screwed up, and the thousands of current and future Rift S users are prone to this issue.

In conclusion if you are thinking of buying a Rift S, I would hold it off until either something better comes out or these issues are fixed.
3 REPLIES 3

bitzie
Expert Protege
The cable is detachable from the headset. You just have to remove the facial interface first.

Luke-san
Honored Guest

bitzie said:

The cable is detachable from the headset. You just have to remove the facial interface first.

I did not know that, thanks for letting me know.

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
It is true that it detaches from the headset, but it would have been a better option to have had "dead-man" failsafe release mechanism so that a tug on the cable meant that it pops apart without any potential to damage the headset or PC side connectors.

Just my 2cents 🙂
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."