New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

v14 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 297 Oculus Staff
Oculus Link
  • A new button on Dash allows to you quickly exit Oculus Link to go back to the Quest Home screen.
  • Important note: This PTC software is not compatible with the Oculus Link feature on Oculus Quest if your Quest is still on software version v12 or lower. The v13 software update is rolling out to Quest currently, which will enable you to utilize Link on both PC software version v13 and this v14 PTC. We continue to work on improving this experience in future releases. Thanks for your patience!
Miscellaneous
  • Various bug fixes and stability improvements

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,076 Valuable Player
    Nice to see Link will work with two versions now ( 13 and 14).
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    Still have to play with it more but this is the first release that has made a difference for me in the framedrops and stuttering introduced in version 12. I just played through a couple things with no significant drops for the first time in two months.

I'm still having bad tracking on slow movements and have to repeatedly unplug/replug the USB back in.  But at least its finally playable.

Maybe its my imagination but the haptic feedback feels stronger for some reason with this PTC.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • iZombie91iZombie91 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    This update seems to have mostly fixed my restart required boot loop. The headset is now connecting to both of my computers with minimal effort, maybe have to restart once but this is nothing major and I often had to do this before I got the bug. Only inconsistency is that the software seems to be forgetting my play space and I have to redraw it each time I restart the computer but this is minor and nothing really worth complaining about. Just happy to finally have it back online!
  • gregor616gregor616 Posts: 84
    Hiro Protagonist
    I updated to 14 and my Quest is on 13 and I get a message to update my quest and just get the three dots of death if I try to run link. Any suggestions?
    Oculus Quest 
    AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard
  • Coryh4225Coryh4225 Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    gregor616 said:
    I updated to 14 and my Quest is on 13 and I get a message to update my quest and just get the three dots of death if I try to run link. Any suggestions?
    Yep same problem here........
    Hiro Protagonist
    At least they should make the rollback from 14 go to 13 and not back to 12 Come on Oculus get it together!

Oculus Quest 
  • MrBMTMrBMT Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 5
    There is a bug where a previously recommended Render Resolution set via Oculus Debug Tool breaks Oculus Link when using PTC v14.
    See Colonel_Izzi's post here for details.

I just got the v13 update on my Quest so opted in to the PTC and the v14 PC software was installed.
    There definitely seems to be an issue with the v14 PTC software and v13 Quest software as when you you try to enable Oculus Link I just get the dreaded 3 dots now.
    Opted out of the PTC again and it took me back to v12 PC Software, which obviously doesn't work with v13 Quest Software.
    Link worked perfectly for me previously on v12 Quest software with v12 PC Software.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
    Oculus Quest v13 Update, Official Oculus Link Headset Cable
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,665 Valuable Player
    OK, I just tried 14 PTC and it's a thumbs down from me with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. 

Performance seemed to be slightly down, but not by much.  I had to drop my SS with Assetto Corsa down to 1.9 from 2.0 in order to maintain 90fps.

Like 13 ptc, when I select the oculus vr desktop and shift my head right/left the left/right edges show large black artifacts.  To get rid of this I need to go to the dashboard/settings/graphics and enable vr panel rendering.  Selecting AA above this does not seem to do anything but bump my gpu usage up ~2x.

X-Plane 11 will not properly shutdown and I need to kill it with task manager.  This was something that has been fixed for a long time (~1.37) and has been fine until 13ptc updates.

I don't have a quest so I cannot say anything regarding it's performance with this beta update.

Anyway, I opted out of the beta and this rolled me back to 12.0.0.306.268 (although the what's new told me it was 13.0).  So, all works ok for now.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• morphee7morphee7 Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    lol ok this PTC hasnt fixed the mirror i still get this and to resolve it i have to delete the desktop shortcut, re-create one and type in the target path again to get it sometimes to work
    so i goto properties on the shortcut to put the target command in and wallop it closes on me and dont stop opening mirror windows

i really dont know how this is possible time to roll back to v13 because i feel now it is pointless reporting back on your PTC's because you do nothing with them and just throw out random updates with minimal release notwes and they seem based on the quest
  • TeeZee1000TeeZee1000 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    MrBMT said:
    I just got the v13 update on my Quest so opted in to the PTC and the v14 PC software was installed.
    There definitely seems to be an issue with the v14 PTC software and v13 Quest software as when you you try to enable Oculus Link I just get the dreaded 3 dots now.
    Opted out of the PTC again and it took me back to v12 PC Software, which obviously doesn't work with v13 Quest Software.
    Link worked perfectly for me previously on v12 Quest software with v12 PC Software.
    Yea the same is happening to me. They should just make the v13 a download link because the update via v12 is not working.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,816 Valuable Player
    edited February 4
    PTC 14.0.0.50.710

Just tried this out. Works fine for me.
    I still run "homeless", but load it when a new release comes out. There are still "various bugs" in the *cough* rewards system.

I'd just like to ask why we get..........

Miscellaneous

and Quest users get.............

Bug Fixes
    • Fixed a bug with party invitations, making it no longer possible to invite a user to a party that they are already in.
    • Fixed a bug related to app downloads that caused the headset to stop responding
    • Made the process of launching an app after switching from hand tracking to controllers more efficient.
    • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused app purchase button text to be displayed oddly.
    • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused a "Tracking Lost" when waking the headset up from a sleep state.
    • Fixed a bug where avatar thumbnails would sometimes not update in all locations after a change was made.
    • (Oculus Go) Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the display to lock up when waking the headset up from sleep.
    • Additional bug fixes and stability improvements.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• OrkelOrkel Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    Weird ghosting jitter still exists in Oculus SDK version of VRchat
  • StreamofConsciousStreamofConscious Posts: 30
    Brain Burst
    Richooal said:
    PTC 14.0.0.50.710

Just tried this out. Works fine for me.
    I still run "homeless", but load it when a new release comes out. There are still "various bugs" in the *cough* rewards system.

I'd just like to ask why we get..........

Miscellaneous

and Quest users get.............

Bug Fixes
    • Fixed a bug with party invitations, making it no longer possible to invite a user to a party that they are already in.
    • Fixed a bug related to app downloads that caused the headset to stop responding
    • Made the process of launching an app after switching from hand tracking to controllers more efficient.
    • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused app purchase button text to be displayed oddly.
    • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused a "Tracking Lost" when waking the headset up from a sleep state.
    • Fixed a bug where avatar thumbnails would sometimes not update in all locations after a change was made.
    • (Oculus Go) Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the display to lock up when waking the headset up from sleep.
    • Additional bug fixes and stability improvements.

Yeah, seriously. Its like they want everybody to just give up......and end up paying 800 bucks for a quest and a non-functioning ,or buggy as hell at best, Rift S.
  • loui100loui100 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Tried the PTC v14 with Stormlands but see no noticable difference in framerate, still can barely hit 50 fps on High with an RTX 2080 Super :/
  • TripQueTripQue Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited February 4
    Adding my voice to the chorus RE: PTC v14 getting three dots/black screen with Oculus Link on Quest v13.  

The v13 software update is rolling out to Quest currently, which will enable you to utilize Link on both PC software version v13 and this v14 PTC

--This statement is demonstrably untrue given the numerous instances to the contrary recounted here, and the statement should be removed from the post.
  • OneFatalOneFatal Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    loui100 said:
    Tried the PTC v14 with Stormlands but see no noticable difference in framerate, still can barely hit 50 fps on High with an RTX 2080 Super :/
    Try to lower the fog quality, worked great for me
    Brain Burst
    MrBMT said:
    Same from me, they need to improve the patching system, I want to play VR and I cant. We need to choose when we want to update our devices.
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 98
    Hiro Protagonist
    Like others, v14 doesn't work with quest v13 here (update your quest blablabla)
    Oculus Quest - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i7 8700 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - Crucial MX300 500Go + 1To - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 5
    Lowering Render Resolution works around this, thanks to Colonel_Izzi for the details.

Some further information Re: v13 Quest and v14 PTC Software Oculus Link issues:
    • When you start Link, you can hear the Oculus Home environment, but you only get a black screen with three dots showing.
    • If you move about while the black screen/3 dots is happening, you can see your Guardian edges and if you move out of the play zone the Passthrough activates as normal.
    • When you move your controllers, you can hear your controllers moving over the UI.
    • If you run OculusMirror.exe within C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\ you can actually see the Oculus Rift home environment on your PC, and it moves as you turn with your headset on/move your controllers. So it's being mirrored correctly, but Link just isn't streaming it correctly to your Oculus Quest.
    So currently, there's definitely an issue with Oculus Link with v13 on the Quest and the v14 PTC Software for PC.

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6 & Thunderbolt 3 Add-in card, i7 7700k, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080Ti, 13TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,034 Volunteer Moderator
    MrBMT said:
    • When you start Link, you can hear the Oculus Home environment, but you only get a black screen with three dots showing.
    • If you move about while the black screen/3 dots is happening, you can see your Guardian edges and if you move out of the play zone the Passthrough activates as normal.
    • When you move your controllers, you can hear your controllers moving over the UI.
    • If you run OculusMirror.exe within C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\ you can actually see the Oculus Rift home environment on your PC, and it moves as you turn with your headset on/move your controllers. So it's being mirrored correctly, but Link just isn't streaming it correctly to your Oculus Quest.
    So currently, there's definitely an issue with Oculus Link with v13 on the Quest and the v14 PTC Software for PC.
    I've had those exact symptoms before, when trying to go back into Link after exiting it. I resolved it by disconnecting the Quest from my PC, rebooting the PC, and rebooting the Quest, then reconnecting and trying Link again. Not sure if it will help, but it's worth a try. I've also found that Quest updates generally don't fully work properly until I shut down and restart the Quest after getting the update.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 5
    nalex66 said:
    MrBMT said:
    I've had those exact symptoms before, when trying to go back into Link after exiting it. I resolved it by disconnecting the Quest from my PC, rebooting the PC, and rebooting the Quest, then reconnecting and trying Link again. Not sure if it will help, but it's worth a try. I've also found that Quest updates generally don't fully work properly until I shut down and restart the Quest after getting the update.
    I appreciate the suggestions, unfortunately I've tried rebooting my PC and Quest multiple times, re-plugging the Quest in, running a repair install (which took me back to v12) etc. but it's made no difference.
    At this point unless the PTC gets updated to fix it, I guess I'll just have to wait until I get the v13 software on my PC and hope that actually works.
  • Colonel_IzziColonel_Izzi Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    edited February 11
    Link users on Quest v13 and PTC v14 should try turning the Link encode resolution down in ODT if they want to get up and running again, at least until there is a proper solution. 2784 is about the highest resolution that works for me now with that build combo. 

Try a headset and/or PC restart if it doesn't work immediately. 

(EDIT: after some further testing/refinement I've found that I can get right up to 2880 on my 1080, but not 2888 or above)

Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 6
    Link users on Quest v13 and PTC v14 should try turning the Link encode resolution down in ODT if they want to get up and running again, at least until there is a proper solution. 2784 is about the highest resolution that works for me now with that build combo. 

If that's what was breaking it for me... I'll be very happy. Literally just completely uninstalled the Oculus software, nuked everything Oculus related from the AppData directories and it's re-installing now as what was going to be my last-ditch effort.
    I know my Encode Resolution was previously set to 2912, so if there's some bug breaking that now... that'd explain things.
    Whenever the Oculus Software finishes re-installing and I've re-opted in to the PTC, I'll test and report back.
    Edit: Reducing the render resolution fixed Link for me. Thanks so much @Colonel_Izzi

These are the steps I took that fixed it for me:
    • Make sure you're using the v14 PTC Software for PC.
    • Unplug your Oculus Quest from your PC.
    • Open OculusDebugTool.exe (by default, in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics)
    • Under the Oculus Link section make sure that "Encode Resolution Width" is set to 2784 or less.
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Reboot your Oculus Quest.
    • Plug your Oculus Quest in to your PC.
    • When the Enable Link? Popup shows, click Enable and it should now actually work.

Hiro Protagonist

Thank you for posting this. I had not made any changes in the Debug tool and my resolution was 2912 by default, so clearly they changed something that broke shit!
    Oculus Quest 
    Brain Burst
    gregor616 said:

Thank you for posting this. I had not made any changes in the Debug tool and my resolution was 2912 by default, so clearly they changed something that broke shit!
    It worked for me personally, though I have to check if it upped the resolution too (that would explain why it feels like the framerate is worse). I really cannot fathom why a company as big as Facebook can't get this stuff right. It just boggles the mind
    Brain Burst

Sadly it didnt worked for me, even with everything set to default in the debug tool. It always close instantly when i try to launch link. Their update system is really bad and it dont ven work. Still waintg for v13 for the app.
  • themrgshowthemrgshow Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same problem here but changing the Encode Resolution Width didn't fix it. Running 14 on the PTC and 13 on the headset. Getting a message in Oculus App on the PC to update the headset software. But no update is available. Have tried several restarts, etc.
  • Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 113
    Art3mis
    Why does it seem to me like you all are trying to brick everyone's rift and attempt to force people to get a quest? 
    Brain Burst
    Btw I was testing v14 yesterday and I reached the conclusion that ASW is still completely unusable, even in The Walking Dead where I have sufficient headroom and almost constant 72 FPS (Oculus Link), I get unbearable stutter every few seconds. Turning off the ASW helps but I don't understand why we have to tinker with the settings to get to a playable state
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,076 Valuable Player
    Why does it seem to me like you all are trying to brick everyone's rift and attempt to force people to get a quest? 
    Must be the black helicopters overhead...
    ;)
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |