New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Facebook Expects Coronavirus To Impact Oculus Quest Production

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,865 Valuable Player
edited February 6 in General
Looks like IRL issues is taking over the virtual world!

Facebook stopped accepting new orders for Oculus Quest this week and expects an impact by the Coronavirus on production of the standalone headset.

Here’s the statement from a Facebook spokesperson:

“Oculus Quest has been selling out in some regions due to high demand. That said, like other companies we’re expecting some additional impact to our hardware production due to the Coronavirus. We’re taking precautions to ensure the safety of our employees, manufacturing partners and customers, and are monitoring the situation closely. We are working to restore availability as soon as possible.”

Full article:
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-coronavirus-quest

And with Pimax's news about moving their support back to China (all 5 of their support staff), this will likely impact Pimaxers as well!

:o

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,284 Valuable Player
    This could end up starting a major worldwide recession tbh, although Chinese trade hasn't been too good for a while since a certain person started a Trade War (and no, we don't need to go on a discussion about it, we don't want any mods having a nervous breakdown lol).
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,060 Valuable Player
    edited February 7
    snowdog said:
    This could end up starting a major worldwide recession tbh, although Chinese trade hasn't been too good for a while since a certain person started a Trade War (and no, we don't need to go on a discussion about it, we don't want any mods having a nervous breakdown lol).
    But then you just started a discussion about it... probably not a wise move.
    ;)
    Pretty sure it is not related to the Virus in any way.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    No it's not. Everyone knows that Brexit is to blame lol 😂😝
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• CongratulationsCongratulations Posts: 120
    Art3mis
    This is bad news, not for the short term either, this will could stop VR coming popular.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,865 Valuable Player
    This is bad news, not for the short term either, this will could stop VR coming popular.

It's being called a pandemic. Theoretically, this could stop the human race from becoming popular. Definitely bad for VR.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,204 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Let's not get political. Not everyone agrees with your view. Let's stick to the topic.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,458 Volunteer Moderator
    Yes, I think the seasoned members should know the score and lead by example, no politics please.

As to the virus, I think a vaccine will be developed within a few weeks but as always, getting it to all those that need it will take some time and the virus will linger on, I'd expect disruption to many industries possibly for the rest of the year.

Sympathies are with everyone affected.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,926 Valuable Player
    edited February 8
    I heard a vaccine won't be available for around 8 months and that it will be more likely 2021 before we see one. I hope it's weeks away, but I haven't seen anywhere that they expect one within weeks.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,458 Volunteer Moderator
    RedRizla said:
    I heard a vaccine won't be available for around 8 months and that it will be more likely 2021 before we see one. I hope it's weeks away, but I haven't seen anywhere that they expect one within weeks.
    Moderna and Inovio are using DNA sequencing and said they'd have a vaccine ready for testing on animals in 1 month and that was a week ago when they were given the full DNA sequence of the virus. Probably 2 more months after that for clinical trials.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,865 Valuable Player
    Yeah, if something is going to get injected in to my body, I prefer it go through a lengthy QA and QC period!

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 718
    Trinity

I read that scientists in the UK were close to developing a vaccine last week. Hope it gets done sheepish because if I end up catching it I'm dead  :o

• AhyoteAhyote Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    We are way farther away from a vaccine than a few weeks. Maybe years.

Not to fear monger, but not even the Japanese can afford to test everyone on a cruise ship for the virus, let alone test everyone who has the sniffles, and give specific people vaccines as the symptoms can take as observed up to 24 days, as by that time more people will be infected. Once this goes worldwide pandemic it will easily overrun the West's medical facilities, the U.S alone only has 100,000+ intensive care units. The world is simply not set up or ready to deal with this, and if this hits overcrowded areas like cities in India, or Tokyo, its practically unstoppable. A vaccine could take a long time to create, and by that time we risk the Virus mutating into either something deadlier, or it will kill itself out.
    Just realise my auto correct on my post above. Bloody thing, should have typed 'sharpish' instead of 'sheepish' lol  :D

Well I'm pretty sure they said that here in the UK we were a few weeks away from getting a vaccine sorted out, but then you have to test the thing properly so we're probably talking about 6 months or so I reckon before it comes out to everyone.

I don't think that we'll be looking at this thing causing the end of civilisation as we know it though, if this had happened 20-30 years ago then we could have been looking at it being a SERIOUS problem but genetic research has made some pretty big leaps since then.