New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

So you like survival horror??

JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 316
Trinity
edited February 9 in Games and Apps
I have to give a HUGE shout out to the game Dement on Steam.. 

I love games like this, it brings me back to the original feel of playing old school Silent Hill and Resident Evils games. Fist of all, I am NOT affiliated with the game in anyway, I've just been addicted to it since buying it about a month or so ago and want to see it succeed. 

Its in early access by a very small team and costs a whopping 39.99 but its TOTALLY worth it. After a (admitting) rough-around-the-edges beginning, the game TAKES OFF. It has lore, loot, great / varied enemies, and almost PERFECT tension. The price will turn a lot of people off, but its an 8-part game (I believe 4 or 5 parts are out now, the developers are also very active on the Steam forum and Discord). I just stared part 4 and I have over 30-hours into the game. At this rate, it will be a 70+ hour game to beat!

Is anyone on here playing it?? Seems to be a little under the radar as of now but is shaping up to be one of my top 5 VR games EVER.. 

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,558 Valuable Player
    edited February 10
    Early access, $40 and 45GB are scaring me ;) And I'm not much into VR horror, have to pull myself together to continue in Saints & Sinners sometimes, lol. 

Not sure I'm supporting Dement until it's no longer Early Access, but the game has been on my radar for some time. Don't mind buying to support the devs if the game is really good. 

Recommended system requirement are quite high:

RECOMMENDED:
      • Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K / AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
      • Memory: 8 GB RAM
      • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 or greater
      • Storage: 45 GB available space

If the game does not support Oculus native drivers that would probably be a no-go for me. So can you start the game from Oculus Home without SteamVR starting up? If SteamVR starts it means goodbye to ASW 2.0 support and then you really need those 90 fps. 

Graphics do look dated - and dark - looks like a game designed for the good old gen1 oled hmds (Rift CV1 and original Vive (Pro)) - I'd be very careful buying such dark games when using lcd hmds:

Only hands and no body look very dated to me also. A problem with VR horror games is that many find them too scary - and Dement looks quite scary - this might limit sales a lot too. 

I agree with some dude on Steam, the game needs a demo. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 316
    Trinity
    There actually is a demo on steam now! 

As far as using an LCD, the game has a 'rift-s' mode that is supposed to be used for LCD panels to improve the dark locations. Seems to work supprisingly well but I still miss the OLED from my good ol CV1 sometimes! This was the biggest negative for me in TWD S&S! 

As far as being too scary, there are NO jump scares in the entire game. It's just the tension and ambiance naturally created as you explore for loot, survivors, etc.

And I agree, the graphics are a little dated (especially on a flat screen) but once you're playing you are 100% sucked into this world! 
    Trinity
    New update was released today (no spoilers but a ton of 'quality of life' updates plus new gameplay for those us of deeper into the game! Not to mention the next chapter is right around the corner! I recommend checking out their discord... The developers respond literally in minutes

This game is close to the longest VR experience I have.. In Death is #1 (I have over 100 hrs in that) and Asgard's Wrath (probably my favorite VR game ever) 
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 314
    Art3mis
    RuneSR2 said:
    Early access, $40 and 45GB are scaring me ;) And I'm not much into VR horror, have to pull myself together to continue in Saints & Sinners sometimes, lol. 
    lol - I'm the same, it makes the hairs down my back and on my arms stand up !!
    Oculus Rift S (love it)
    Oculus Quest 128GB (Loving it too)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK 
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz
    GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
    16 GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Oculus app version 14.0.0.83.710 (14.0.0.83.710)
    Trinity
    Yea, I was never a HUGE fan of 2D horror games... but I've always loved the survival horror (such as Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, now add TWD S&S and Dement). 

The gameplay loop is soo addictive IMHO. Games like this where you are hunting for resources in a well made world, under tension, that allow you have have just enough to feel like you can defend yourself  but not enough that you can be reckless or stop checking every corner... LOVE IT! lol

Due to how short TWD S&S was, I actually think Dement, being a very small and EA project, is a BETTER game! S&S is definitely more polished and runs much better, but I just keep coming back to Dement...