New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Chinese Silicone Guards not tracked on Touch Controllers

iTesla8iTesla8 Posts: 99
Hiro Protagonist
Hello
I have buy such useful silicone guards but it seems the cameras in Oculus Quest do not pick them only the naked rings are tracked possible by their contour, i would like to ask Oculus to add in the software some versatile detection of guards on the rings similar to Hands tracking because everyone has different hands, i m sure this can be achieved, thank you.
Have cut a part it detects in this exposed position but when rotated it does not track controller.
Why i need such you may ask?, because i hit the controllers around 10 times and i m sure it will help protect them with such guards.
My Own PC Build: NZXT Source S340 White > Corsair RM1000i > Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming > CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.5Ghz > Deepcool Captain120 EX > RAM KHX2400C15/16G | 4pcs = 64GB > Asus GTX1070 Dual O8G > Samsung U32J59xUQ 4K > Realtek High Definition Audio > Intel SSD 760p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.1 1TB > Intel SSD 600p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.2 1TB > AZIO Retro Classic Copper > Razer Mamba Hyperflux = Oculus Quest/Link

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,463 Volunteer Moderator
    I've seen skins for the grips but not the rings before. The controllers are tracked using two rows of IR LEDs all the way round the rings so if those are covered, the controllers won't be tracked.

Did the vendor of those guards say the material allows IR light to pass though? If so I think they're fibbing as I'd be surprised if any silicone did that as it's a pretty good insulator.

You'd have to have small holes located over every LED, looks like they'd be roughly located at each of the 'nobbles' on your covers but it also looks like those nobbles are there to provide impact protection, not to allow IR light through. There's nothing Oculus could do to allow those covers to work.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.657)
  • iTesla8iTesla8 Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yes you are right it is silicone and those bumps possible are exactly where IR LED are will have to cut holes and test.
    Thank you.
    My Own PC Build: NZXT Source S340 White > Corsair RM1000i > Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming > CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.5Ghz > Deepcool Captain120 EX > RAM KHX2400C15/16G | 4pcs = 64GB > Asus GTX1070 Dual O8G > Samsung U32J59xUQ 4K > Realtek High Definition Audio > Intel SSD 760p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.1 1TB > Intel SSD 600p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.2 1TB > AZIO Retro Classic Copper > Razer Mamba Hyperflux = Oculus Quest/Link