New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Gaming PC for Oculus Quest link cable.

drdavis47374drdavis47374 Posts: 7
NerveGear
Hey guys. I am new to the forum and am going to delve into the link cable gaming pc part of the Quest. I have around $900 to spend on a gaming pc. Any suggestions on a platform that work for playing rift games. I was going to buy from best buy but was not sure if any of their sub $1000 gaming pc's would be a good match.
Any information would be appreciated.

Comments

• Doc_OxDoc_Ox Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Hey guys. I am new to the forum and am going to delve into the link cable gaming pc part of the Quest. I have around $900 to spend on a gaming pc. Any suggestions on a platform that work for playing rift games. I was going to buy from best buy but was not sure if any of their sub $1000 gaming pc's would be a good match.
    Any information would be appreciated.
    I was in the same position as you last week -- wanting to play PC VR games via the Link Cable, but without a sufficient PC, and a budget less than $1,000.  I searched for a couple of days, debating the pros/cons of a Desktop vs a Laptop for VR.  I searched everywhere -- BB, NewEgg, etc.  I eventually found the best deals at Micro Center, which happens to have a store near me in OH. 

I found both a desktop and laptop that I liked, but ended up with a gaming laptop due to the versatility it provides.  For me, the GPU not being able upgradeable is the biggest downside relative to a desktop, but I wanted something that I could move around the room when tethered via Oculus Link, and something I could take with me when traveling.

For what it's worth...I ended up purchasing an HP Omen 15 laptop this past weekend.  I went there expecting to purchase the configuration with an i7, GTX-1660 Ti, 16GB for $899 (15-dc1054nr).  But the sales rep let me know they had an open box for the same laptop, but with an upgraded RTX-2160 GPU, for only $879.  I'm particular, so I inspected it thoroughly and it looked brand new -- so I took the plunge.  Very happy with it.  I'm a console gamer and not a PC gamer, so this will essentially be used for VR purposes only, and so far it's worked great with the Link cable and the Rift / SteamVR spaces.

Good luck!
  • iTesla8iTesla8 Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    Consider to buy a PC with newest GPU because old ones GTX 1070 is not enough something after GTX1080 and up.
    My Own PC Build: NZXT Source S340 White > Corsair RM1000i > Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming > CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.5Ghz > Deepcool Captain120 EX > RAM KHX2400C15/16G | 4pcs = 64GB > Asus GTX1070 Dual O8G > Samsung U32J59xUQ 4K > Realtek High Definition Audio > Intel SSD 760p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.1 1TB > Intel SSD 600p Series PCIE/NVMe M2.2 1TB > AZIO Retro Classic Copper > Razer Mamba Hyperflux = Oculus Quest/Link
  • kasingsamkasingsam Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    oh great, i brought rift S, RTX and Rift quest looks awesome to me
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 278
    Nexus 6
    Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 16gb ddr 4 3200, 1080ti. Z800 HMD, DK1, DK2, CV1, Vive wireless, Quest, HP Reverb. Viewsonic 1080p 3D projector ASUS 3D vision monitor.  UAD Apollo interface, Yamaha studio monitors.  
  • drdavis47374drdavis47374 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Thanks everyone for the input. I think I am going to go with a laptop like Doc_ox suggested mainly for the portability. I only game for about an hour or so, so the battery life on a laptop should not be an issue.
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 611
    Neo
    so the battery life on a laptop should not be an issue.
    I have a gaming laptop with an RTX 2080 Max Q, I can’t run VR games on laptop battery power only, it has to be plugged in.