New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Into The Radius on the Oculus Store tomorrow

Comments

• loui100loui100 Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Wow, it's basically Stalker VR, looks promising.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,924 Valuable Player
    loui100 said:
    Wow, it's basically Stalker VR, looks promising.

That's exactly what i thought.  I loved the original Stalker on PC (played it around 2007 i think)!  Never completed it - didn't totally understand what was going on but just loved how realistic and atmospheric it was.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,607 Valuable Player
    Tried the beta about 4 months ago, it was really bad, but let's see if the devs managed some profound improvements. I'm not touching this game until I see some promising ratings. 2c.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,940 Valuable Player
    edited February 12
    @RuneSR2 - I take it you aren't going into the Radius? What didn't you like about it so that I can compare it to the updated version? The graphics don't look all that good to me due to the world looking a bit empty, but if the gameplay is great that might not be a problem.
    RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 - I take it you aren't going into the Radius? What didn't you like about it so that I can compare it to the updated version? The graphics don't look all that good to me due to the world looking a bit empty, but if the gameplay is great that might not be a problem.
    The graphics were really bad, everything was gray more or less, felt like there was not any proper intro, controls felt bad too. I loved the old Stalker game, but the Radius beta felt like something 2-3 dudes had made in their sparetime. Colors and design felt poor. Again, I'd love to be wrong about the final version, but the beta I tried for about 1 hour was so poor I refused to spend more time on it, including giving the devs feedback. I uninstalled the beta completely after I tried it and never went back. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:
    Tried the beta about 4 months ago, it was really bad, but let's see if the devs managed some profound improvements. I'm not touching this game until I see some promising ratings. 2c.

Oh damn.  Well hopefully there have been improvements because it sounds good. 

Thanks for the heads up!
  • cmmarketingcmmarketing Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:
    The graphics were really bad, everything was gray more or less, felt like there was not any proper intro, controls felt bad too. I loved the old Stalker game, but the Radius beta felt like something 2-3 dudes had made in their sparetime. Colors and design felt poor. Again, I'd love to be wrong about the final version, but the beta I tried for about 1 hour was so poor I refused to spend more time on it, including giving the devs feedback. I uninstalled the beta completely after I tried it and never went back. 

@RuneSR2  The game has made huge improvements since the Beta you played months ago. Since Early Access and most recently the Milestone 4 update, the game has improved in every aspect; new gameplay features and improvements, new art, animations, collectibles, and a major rebalance to the shop and loot system. 

The tutorial has gotten an overhaul so it's more coherent, but still needs improvements. The graphics and art have been the biggest noticeable improvement, the world feels a lot more fuller and a lot less grey than it used to be.

I recommend going to read the patch notes on Steam and checking out some of the most recent Let's Play / Streams on Youtube and Twitch. BenPlaysVR has a good one coming out today and NorkDorf will be doing a livestream on Twitch this Friday if you want to check it out.  

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2  The game has made huge improvements since the Beta you played months ago. Since Early Access and most recently the Milestone 4 update, the game has improved in every aspect; new gameplay features and improvements, new art, animations, collectibles, and a major rebalance to the shop and loot system. 

The tutorial has gotten an overhaul so it's more coherent, but still needs improvements. The graphics and art have been the biggest noticeable improvement, the world feels a lot more fuller and a lot less grey than it used to be.

I recommend going to read the patch notes on Steam and checking out some of the most recent Let's Play / Streams on Youtube and Twitch. BenPlaysVR has a good one coming out today and NorkDorf will be doing a livestream on Twitch this Friday if you want to check it out.  

Good to hear - I think I used the Index to test the game, but I'm not completely sure. I can see the game has gotten 40 "mixed" reviews on Steam, so there are several negative reviews.
    I'm wondering if the game might look better using CV1 (oled) than Index (lcd) due to several low light / dark locations. I do love the genre, which I why I opted in for the beta. If reviews are great in the Oculus Store I wouldn't mind trying the game again.
    Just checked out the Steam page - the screenshots do look a lot better than the beta I played. 

I just saw that this trailer was released less than 24 hours ago - does look promising:

OK, i love the look of that trailer!
    NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:

Good to hear - I think I used the Index to test the game, but I'm not completely sure. I can see the game has gotten 40 "mixed" reviews on Steam, so there are several negative reviews.
    I'm wondering if the game might look better using CV1 (oled) than Index (lcd) due to several low light / dark locations. I do love the genre, which I why I opted in for the beta. If reviews are great in the Oculus Store I wouldn't mind trying the game again.
    Just checked out the Steam page - the screenshots do look a lot better than the beta I played. 

I just saw that this trailer was released less than 24 hours ago - does look promising:

I hope you will check out the game @RuneSR2, I think you will be suitably impressed! 

The game is still 'Early Access' and there is still work to be done. Our team has been working hard to turn over the Mixed reviews to Positive, most of the feedback (even the negative reviews) have seriously helped us to make improvements, we've been iterating and making patches and rebalances very rapidly over the last few months.

Nice, does the Steam version support native Oculus drivers?

NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:
    Nice, does the Steam version support native Oculus drivers?
    Not at the moment, this is in our backlog though.
    edited February 14
    Maybe a good idea to provide a link to the game in the Oculus Store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2004005749696280

Early access and $30 may not be a great combination, also considering the very high system requirements (GTX 1080 or better as recommended for video card). Not sure going much beyond $15 (like Boiling Steel) will be a success - at $30 you're close to major VR releases like Saints & Sinners and Lone Echo, and many may be prone to refund if you do not deliver extremely high quality in all aspects of the game. 2c. 

NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:
    Maybe a good idea to provide a link to the game in the Oculus Store:

Early access and $30 may not be a great combination, also considering the very high system requirements (GTX 1080 or better as recommended for video card). Not sure going much beyond $15 (like Boiling Steel) will be a success - at $30 you're close to major VR releases like Saints & Sinners and Lone Echo, and many may be prone to refund if you do not deliver extremely high quality in all aspects of the game. 2c. 
    Thanks for sharing the link @RuneSR2

We understand that the price and system requirements can be barriers, likewise with being compared with games similar to our price range. We've launched on Oculus Early Access with the hope that the VR community sees the potential in our game and wants to help support the game's development.

We're excited to get player feedback from Oculus players, based on the community feedback we've gotten through Steam and on Discord, our team has been pretty quick to iterate on the game's overall look and feel in the past few months. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,940 Valuable Player
    edited February 14
    I read a few mixed reviews on Steam just to get an idea. Some reviews were saying the world appeared a bit empty, which is what I thought after watching a few Youtube videos. Do you intend adding more content to the world like under ground tunnels and things like some people were suggesting in the Steam reviews? Sounds like it could be a really good game from the reviews I've read if certain content was added. 

I also saw that some people didn't like having to start over if they die because they lose all their gear?

I see the game is early access and considering this it appears to be of to a good start. It would probably sell even more if it was a bit cheaper though imho. 
    I'm actually going to see if i can buy the original STALKER now    :)
    And i'll buy this too - got next week off work so need to immerse myself.
    I just gave the game more attention on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/f47gqo/into_the_radius_vr_now_in_the_oculus_store_anyone/

- this was also recently posted:

Strange with Ben's video though - why would he use wands - that only makes sense if the game 1) was made for oled displays or 2) his Index controllers aren't available (rma? I'm pretty sure he once had the Index). I could be wrong but it looks to me like he's using the Vive Pro for the review - and that's a hmd nearly no one uses. Would be better with the Rift-S, Quest Link or Index.

He does mention that the review is sponsored, which normally will create a bias - but seems he genuinely liked the game. His specs - which he also should remember to post for each video:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    RAM: 16.0 GB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,297 Valuable Player
    Aw bugger. Another game for me to buy lol :D

I told myself that I wouldn't spend any more of my £496 PPI refund but I've just bought an omelette maker, air fryer, Saints and Sinners and just ordered a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol M32 MIDI keyboard so that I can start work on some music for my game.

£14 for the omelette maker, £35 for the air fryer, £85 for the keyboard and 30 quid or so on Saints and Sinners.

I've just given my landlord some receipts which should wipe out the debt I owe him so that's an extra £20 per month that I'll have going spare plus I was paying £20 per month off the credit card that I've cleared with part of my PPI refund so I'm going to have an extra £40 per month to pay off my remaining credit card in preparation for me buying a Yaw VR motion simulator either at the end of the year or beginning of next year.

Spend money whenever you can, always been my motto cos you can't take it with you lolololol :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    NerveGear
    RedRizla said:
    I read a few mixed reviews on Steam just to get an idea. Some reviews were saying the world appeared a bit empty, which is what I thought after watching a few Youtube videos. Do you intend adding more content to the world like under ground tunnels and things like some people were suggesting in the Steam reviews? Sounds like it could be a really good game from the reviews I've read if certain content was added. 

I also saw that some people didn't like having to start over if they die because they lose all their gear?

I see the game is early access and considering this it appears to be of to a good start. It would probably sell even more if it was a bit cheaper though imho. 

Hi @RedRizla, good questions - as mentioned in our previous post, yes we've been adding in new content and new areas to explore on the map. Keep an eye on our Discord / Twitter / Facebook / Reddit / etc. we're actively posting there whenever we have new updates. 

The team has been on a steady track of iterating on the feedback and reviews we're getting. For instance, recently we've done a rebalance update so you only lose the gear in your backpack, and we're considering implementing difficulty levels in the game to suit the taste of different kinds of players. 

We'll also be offering the game on sale or for a discount whenever Oculus offers us their next sales promotion, so there will be opportunities to pick up the game at a lower price.