New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Simple questions

matjossmatjoss Posts: 4
NerveGear
I am really new to VR and have some really basic questions that are that basic I can not find the answer to some of them. I don't know whether to go for the Quest or Rift s. I only want the headset really for watching movies and viewing the internet, not really for playing games. Here are my questions. Although I do like the idea of floating around mountains and walking on the beach to de-stress....lol

1 - can the Quest run on a power cable if battery runs out?
2 - can you view all internet pages as if it was a pc?
3 - can you change the angle of the view for example if I was in bed watching a film can I lie down and watch it as if the screen was on the ceiling? or will the headset think you are looking up?
4 - can you add a bigger hard drive or ram to it like you can with a laptop?
5 - can you add third party vr apps or can you only use oculus ones
6 - Is the quest software likely to be out of date in a couple of years so a new headset would be required or can the full software operating system be updated?
7 - Can you save internet bookmarks etc. like a pc and have different user accounts?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• matjossmatjoss Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Am I best going for the Rift S as I don't intend to walk around so dont mind the wires. I know I might need to buy a better graphics card.
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 869
    3Jane
    1) yes
    2) whatever is supported through the oculus browser, might not be fully compatible.
    3) depends on the app
    4) no
    5) yes
    6) software updates every couple weeks, you should be more concerned about the longevity of the hardware
    7) bookmarks yes, profiles no
    NerveGear
    Would the Rift S still work to watch movies and the internet on a below minimum spek pc. or would it just not work?
    I have a W10 pc AMD A10-6800k 4.1ghz, 8gb ram, on board graphics. Would this work until I could afford a new graphics card? Thx.
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 869
    3Jane
    no, the rift wont even turn on using an onboard graphics chipset 
    NerveGear
    MikeF said:
    no, the rift wont even turn on using an onboard graphics chipset 
    Thanks, Mike