New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Running VR with i9 9900K CPU

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,020 Valuable Player
My GPU is being RMA'd due to faulty temp sensor. So whilst I am out I just tried for laughs to see if I can jump into VR with the i9 9900K using a HP Reverb. The i9 9900K does have an HDMI and DP connection. Interestingly enough I was able to load the WMR cliffhouse and move around and look at desktop and Edge pages. Framerate seemed OK though but the display was somewhat flickery. Interesting this worked though, I wonder if a CV1 would be less intensive? I didn't try any actual VR games as that would probably blow up my system.

:D 

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,060 Valuable Player
    I doubt you would even get a display in an Oculus headset.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,572 Valuable Player
    Well using ss 2.0 I'll need a 2080 Ti or better to get solid 90 fps in several games, but maybe CV1 ss 0.5 would work in your case, lol. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • BeastyBaiterBeastyBaiter Posts: 807
    3Jane
    The official minimum specs of the WMR headsets is just the basic CPU integrated graphics. Obviously you can't play any games that way (well, maybe Beat Saber) but it's fine for movie watching and such in cliff house. With my current laptop when figuring out which ports were connected to what (it has USB-C, HDMI and 2x DP's on the back side near the GPU), I ended up running the Rift S on the CPU once. To say the home environment was a slide show is an insult to slide shows. It did render part of Home, but it was a partial static image with a whole lot of white around. If memory serves, it also crashed.