New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PC crashes when I unplug headset or if the Oculus software restarts

JamesLivengoodJamesLivengood Posts: 1
NerveGear
When I unplug the headset or if the software tells me a restart is required (and I click restart), my monitors all turn black on half of the screen and my computer crashes.

I did have a 1070 video card and used 3 monitors. One on DVI, one DP, one HDMI. I used another DP port on the 1070 video card for the headset. I had different issues with the headset but no PC crashes. The only way I could use the headset was if I opened the Oculus software and then plugged in the headset's USB cable and then the DP cable. If I plugged it in before I opened the software then it wouldn't work or I would have endless restarts required. And after each computer reboot I had to unplug the cables so I could open the software first and then plug in. This wasn't an issue for me because I didn't mind, but I switched video cards and now I have this computer crashing issue.

I put in a new CPU (3800x) and a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT. This video card has 3 DP ports and 1 HDMI port. I connect my main monitor with a DP cable. I plug in the 2nd monitor with a DP to HDMI cable. And I plug the 3rd monitor in with an HDMI cable. This leaves a spare DP port for the headset. To use the headset I have to do as I said before (start the software and then plug in the headset). And it works fine. But if I unplug the headset (or plug it in without the software running or click restart Oculus software), my three monitors all split down the middle with half of each's screen turning black and then my computer crashes. I can work around this issue but it's annoying and I was wondering if there was something I could do to fix it. I don't have issues doing anything else on the computer that doesn't involve the headset (non vr games, video editing, stress testing, bench marking, etc).