New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Have to redo guardian every time i start rift S

Anyone else have this problem? I turned off beta a while ago so only getting official updates, this started happening after the last official update.

Comments

• GamingTC2GamingTC2 Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    I have the same problem.  Really anoying.
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 338
    Art3mis
    Sometimes it does it. Quest is the same, only now and again - Looks like its a feature of inside out tracking.
    Oculus Rift S (love it)
    Oculus Quest 128GB (Loving it too)
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK 
    Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz
    GTX 1050 Ti (4GB)
    16 GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    1TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
    Oculus app version 14.0.0.83.710 (14.0.0.83.710)
  • LordSirSgtJeffreyLordSirSgtJeffrey Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have this problem too with rift s. Only started to happen with the recent update, before then i never had this issue.
  • LordSirSgtJeffreyLordSirSgtJeffrey Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I think I've found a work around, clear your guardian settings, completely unplug and reconnect you headset and setup guardian.
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 159
    Art3mis
    mmm, same here.
  • JasonJ720JasonJ720 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    @LordSirSgtJeffrey
    Thank you Sir.
    Was getting sick of re-doing the guardian every day. Was broken since the last update few days ago.

As you advised: Reset my boundary, unplugged/reconnected headset and re-did boundary. Now after reboot I don't have to constantly setup guardian boundary.
  • coluousecoluouse Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I also encountered this and I don't like it.

Brain Burst
    edited February 16
    Thanks LordSir
    Had tried reset and reconnect before, but not directly after eachother.
    Anyway, your method solved the problem.
  • CGH001CGH001 Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    I think I've found a work around, clear your guardian settings, completely unplug and reconnect you headset and setup guardian.
    I've had this issue since the last update so I'll try your workaround - thanks.
  • SergeMeister1234SergeMeister1234 Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    It’s not a bug, it’s a feature... lol

How are you guys clearing the guardian settings? 
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Commercial Throttle| Heusinkveld Pro Brake | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
    Brain Burst
    It’s not a bug, it’s a feature... lol

How are you guys clearing the guardian settings? 
    I did it in oculus home (vr).  Settings, guardian and then there is a reset button.
  • geoff.killickgeoff.killick Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    Tried the fix but didn't work for me, Tried unplugging while PC on and Off. Still have to redo guardian every start up. Proper annoying.
    Brain Burst
    edited February 18
    Try this: do the guardian setup, in vr go to settings, guardian, reset guardian, take the headset off (don't turn off the software), pull out usb, wait a bit till there is an error message, put the usb back in, wait a bit till error message is gone, redo setup of guardian.
    Please try this and let us know if it worked.
    Brain Burst
    You can also reproduce the problem.  Opt in on PTC and opt out and the problem returns.  Doing the above steps cure the problem again.
  • DrRenarsDrRenars Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the same or similar problem recently. My guardian settings reset after PC reboot every single time. I tried a lot, including a complete, clean reinstall using Windows safe mode. I'm currently cunsulting this issue with Oculus Support. It really seems to be a Oculus software problem, not a problem with me or my room, especially considering all worked almost perectly before, a few weeks ago.
  • Kanon_di_GeminiKanon_di_Gemini Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem :(
  • cestomanocestomano Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    GamingTC2 said:
    Try this: do the guardian setup, in vr go to settings, guardian, reset guardian, take the headset off (don't turn off the software), pull out usb, wait a bit till there is an error message, put the usb back in, wait a bit till error message is gone, redo setup of guardian.
    Please try this and let us know if it worked.
    This worked for me! :wink:

Thanks a lot !!
  • DrRenarsDrRenars Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Yeah, this method worked for me too. Great thanks! But remember this is only a temporary solution. For example clearing Guardian history and clearing user files (so basically performing a reset) makes the problem return. That would explain why doing a clean reinstall does not help. This needs to be fixed by Oculus. The problem was no existent in the past. I informed the Support already.
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 188
    Art3mis
    I have been having this problem ever since my pc froze and crashed while in VR, i'll try the fix and hopefully it works
  • Oops01Oops01 Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm getting this as well really annoying, I'll give the re-set a try and get back to you all to see how I get on.
  • dany939dany939 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i have also  had the same problem since the last update , more visualizing the decktop in vr when turn my head it turns half black
  • LaokinLaokin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This drove me nuts too.  So this is how I fixed it.

When I'm done with the Oculus, I take it off, I put my lense cover on, put it in a box just outside the guardian, then I unplug the USB to kill the power to it.

*If* I plug in the USB while it's outside the guardian, presto, gotta set it up.  If I plug it in, while the cameras can't see because it's too dark, or because it's still in the box, gotta setup the guardian.

If I take the headset out of the box, turn the lights on, put it inside the guardian, then plug it in, it's fine 99.9% of the time.  

I went from having to set it up Everytime, to like once a month.

Hope this helps some of y'all.