New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Have to redo guardian every time i start rift S

Anyone else have this problem? I turned off beta a while ago so only getting official updates, this started happening after the last official update.

Comments

• GamingTC2GamingTC2 Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    I have the same problem.  Really anoying.
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 813
    Trinity
    Sometimes it does it. Quest is the same, only now and again - Looks like its a feature of inside out tracking.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • LordSirSgtJeffreyLordSirSgtJeffrey Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have this problem too with rift s. Only started to happen with the recent update, before then i never had this issue.
  • LordSirSgtJeffreyLordSirSgtJeffrey Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I think I've found a work around, clear your guardian settings, completely unplug and reconnect you headset and setup guardian.
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    mmm, same here.
  • JasonJ720JasonJ720 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    @LordSirSgtJeffrey
    Thank you Sir.
    Was getting sick of re-doing the guardian every day. Was broken since the last update few days ago.

As you advised: Reset my boundary, unplugged/reconnected headset and re-did boundary. Now after reboot I don't have to constantly setup guardian boundary.
  • coluousecoluouse Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I also encountered this and I don't like it.

Brain Burst
    edited February 16
    Thanks LordSir
    Had tried reset and reconnect before, but not directly after eachother.
    Anyway, your method solved the problem.
  • CGH001CGH001 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    I think I've found a work around, clear your guardian settings, completely unplug and reconnect you headset and setup guardian.
    I've had this issue since the last update so I'll try your workaround - thanks.
  • SergeMeister1234SergeMeister1234 Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    It’s not a bug, it’s a feature... lol

How are you guys clearing the guardian settings? 
    | AMD Ryzen 3800X CPU | Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti 11G  | RAM: 16GB | PSU: 850W | W10 x64 | Simucube2 Ultimate Wheel Base | Precision Sim Engineering GT3 Wheel | HRS Xero-Play Quick Release | Fanatec CSS Shifter V1.5 | Heusinkveld Ultimate Pedals | Rift S | Kingston HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro Headphones | Sim-Lab P1 Racing Cockpit | Sparco Evo Seat
    Brain Burst
    It’s not a bug, it’s a feature... lol

How are you guys clearing the guardian settings? 
    I did it in oculus home (vr).  Settings, guardian and then there is a reset button.
  • geoff.killickgeoff.killick Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    Tried the fix but didn't work for me, Tried unplugging while PC on and Off. Still have to redo guardian every start up. Proper annoying.
    Brain Burst
    edited February 18
    Try this: do the guardian setup, in vr go to settings, guardian, reset guardian, take the headset off (don't turn off the software), pull out usb, wait a bit till there is an error message, put the usb back in, wait a bit till error message is gone, redo setup of guardian.
    Please try this and let us know if it worked.
    Brain Burst
    You can also reproduce the problem.  Opt in on PTC and opt out and the problem returns.  Doing the above steps cure the problem again.
  • DrRenarsDrRenars Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the same or similar problem recently. My guardian settings reset after PC reboot every single time. I tried a lot, including a complete, clean reinstall using Windows safe mode. I'm currently cunsulting this issue with Oculus Support. It really seems to be a Oculus software problem, not a problem with me or my room, especially considering all worked almost perectly before, a few weeks ago.
  • Kanon_di_GeminiKanon_di_Gemini Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem :(
  • cestomanocestomano Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    GamingTC2 said:
    Try this: do the guardian setup, in vr go to settings, guardian, reset guardian, take the headset off (don't turn off the software), pull out usb, wait a bit till there is an error message, put the usb back in, wait a bit till error message is gone, redo setup of guardian.
    Please try this and let us know if it worked.
    This worked for me! :wink:

Thanks a lot !!
    NerveGear
    Yeah, this method worked for me too. Great thanks! But remember this is only a temporary solution. For example clearing Guardian history and clearing user files (so basically performing a reset) makes the problem return. That would explain why doing a clean reinstall does not help. This needs to be fixed by Oculus. The problem was no existent in the past. I informed the Support already.
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    I have been having this problem ever since my pc froze and crashed while in VR, i'll try the fix and hopefully it works
  • Oops01Oops01 Posts: 88
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm getting this as well really annoying, I'll give the re-set a try and get back to you all to see how I get on.
  • dany939dany939 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i have also  had the same problem since the last update , more visualizing the decktop in vr when turn my head it turns half black
  • LaokinLaokin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This drove me nuts too.  So this is how I fixed it.

When I'm done with the Oculus, I take it off, I put my lense cover on, put it in a box just outside the guardian, then I unplug the USB to kill the power to it.

*If* I plug in the USB while it's outside the guardian, presto, gotta set it up.  If I plug it in, while the cameras can't see because it's too dark, or because it's still in the box, gotta setup the guardian.

If I take the headset out of the box, turn the lights on, put it inside the guardian, then plug it in, it's fine 99.9% of the time.  

I went from having to set it up Everytime, to like once a month.

Hope this helps some of y'all.
  • MeresigaMeresiga Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Laokin said:
    This drove me nuts too.  So this is how I fixed it.

When I'm done with the Oculus, I take it off, I put my lense cover on, put it in a box just outside the guardian, then I unplug the USB to kill the power to it.

*If* I plug in the USB while it's outside the guardian, presto, gotta set it up.  If I plug it in, while the cameras can't see because it's too dark, or because it's still in the box, gotta setup the guardian.

If I take the headset out of the box, turn the lights on, put it inside the guardian, then plug it in, it's fine 99.9% of the time.  

I went from having to set it up Everytime, to like once a month.

Hope this helps some of y'all.
    I did this several times. It doesn 't help. Every time I turn on the computer and start Oculus, the program offers to set up the zone again, since the previous setting is not remembered. This started in early February after the Windows 10 Update and coincided with the Oculus S software update.
    NerveGear
    I did this several times. It doesn 't help. Every time I turn on the computer and start Oculus, the program offers to set up the zone again, since the previous setting is not remembered. This started in early February after the Windows 10 Update and coincided with the Oculus S software update.
    Try the method GamingTC2 described above. If that won't help create a support ticket to Oculus - the more people do that, the higher the chance they will consider this a major bug and fix it.
    NerveGear
    DrRenars said:
    Try the method GamingTC2 described above. If that won't help create a support ticket to Oculus - the more people do that, the higher the chance they will consider this a major bug and fix it.

I tried this recommendation. It didn't help. I put the headset in a dark box and unplugged the USB cable. At the same time, the program itself was currently working. After the program reported that there is no connected headset - I was able to get a choice of options to configure a new headset. I plugged the Oculus s helmet into the computer's USB port, the program identified it as a new device, and I set it up and configured it again. Of course - I immediately set up a protective zone. When I rebooted the computer again, this security zone was not remembered and I was asked to configure it again. I was surprised that the items in my virtual home in Oculus were still rearranged as I had done earlier in late January.

Thus, the program for some reason does not save the new settings, but takes the old ones from somewhere. I assume - that in it, after adding new support for the Oculus Quest helmet, the settings for the model S helmets after the January update were lost. And these settings are stored somewhere in the Windows user profile (AppData). I have all the rights, and I am the Administrator on this computer. Still, I can't do anything. This is a glitch in the Oculus program.

I already informed the manufacturer about this problem in my personal account almost a month ago. But there is still no reaction or response from him.

• L3viAThaNL3viAThaN Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Guardian system is the most annoying shit ever made on a device software. JUST ADD THE FUCKING OPTION TO DISABLE IT AND DON'T EVER ASK AGAIN!!!!
    I use the rift only for Simrace. Dont need and dont want that shit popping on my screen every fucking time i put the headset on.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    edited March 10
    Nice language.
    Disable it then.
    After setting floor level skip Guardian. It shouldn't bother any more - at least mine never has.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • EAF_RibbonEAF_Ribbon Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    dburne said:
    Nice language.
    Disable it then.
    After setting floor level skip Guardian. It shouldn't bother any more - at least mine never has.
    tried that but it doesn't work, nothing works!
    it just keeps reseting every time i run VR, it really is annoying and i feel those guys above even we should stay polite.
    Oculus devs should respond and say they're working on a hotfix instead of being quiet
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Nice language.
    Disable it then.
    tried that but it doesn't work, nothing works!
    it just keeps reseting every time i run VR, it really is annoying and i feel those guys above even we should stay polite.
    Oculus devs should respond and say they're working on a hotfix instead of being quiet
    Have you tried a repair install by downloading the Oculus installer and running it, then choosing repair at the prompt?
    It will still download all the files but do an in place repair of the software.
    Might be worth a shot if you have not tried it.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    NerveGear
    After reading the official forum of Oculus releases these updates have come to the conclusion that the developers simply stopped paying attention to all the discontent of users of Oculus S when users broke update number 12 and the normal Rift and version S. And all the updates that are coming out now are aimed mainly, I'm sorry, at the stub in the form of Oculus Quest, because I doubt that even in the future Quest will produce the same image with the cable (now it is noticeably worse) as the Rift S.
    I don't have anything against Quest as a product - everyone has their own. But creating problems for one product in favor of another is fundamentally wrong, and at the same time ignoring all user complaints. In General, this policy of developers is very disappointing when they promote one product to the detriment of another.