cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where is a good place to purchase the official Oculus Link? Many people are using 3rd party cables but i've heard too many horror stories and i'd rather just purchase the official product. What are some good retail stores to check out?
2 REPLIES 2

enigma01
Trustee
Have you actually tried using Link on your computer with a 3rd party cable? 

I have been using Link since launch with 3rd party cables with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I have a total of 5 metres length using a passive USB 3.0 3m extension and 2m USB A to C cable. 

I actually also owned the official cable for about 2 weeks and returned it. There was an issue with the cable being used with Thunderbolt 3 ports, which meant I could only use the cable connected to my laptop with the angled section going into my PC rather than the headset (this has actually now been fixed with the latest firmware update I believe from owners posts with similar issues)... Anyway, the point I'm getting at is that I don't actually regret returning the official cable. It tangled up way too easily, gave no length improvement or performance improvement (that I could see) over my third party cable. The charge only my headset only loses a couple % per hour whilst gaming with Link with the 3rd party cables, which really doesn't concern me. 

If you are able to just try some of the suggested alternatives and buy from a retailer with good returns policy (like Amazon), then I'd suggest you trying it. My third party cables cost £15 vs £89 for the official one, it's a big difference if it doesn't really make any improvement. 

The official cable had been unavailable for quite some time, but now appears to be available on Oculus store for delivery to my region again (UK) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

enigma01 said:

Have you actually tried using Link on your computer with a 3rd party cable? 

I have been using Link since launch with 3rd party cables with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I have a total of 5 metres length using a passive USB 3.0 3m extension and 2m USB A to C cable. 

I actually also owned the official cable for about 2 weeks and returned it. There was an issue with the cable being used with Thunderbolt 3 ports, which meant I could only use the cable connected to my laptop with the angled section going into my PC rather than the headset (this has actually now been fixed with the latest firmware update I believe from owners posts with similar issues)... Anyway, the point I'm getting at is that I don't actually regret returning the official cable. It tangled up way too easily, gave no length improvement or performance improvement (that I could see) over my third party cable. The charge only my headset only loses a couple % per hour whilst gaming with Link with the 3rd party cables, which really doesn't concern me. 

If you are able to just try some of the suggested alternatives and buy from a retailer with good returns policy (like Amazon), then I'd suggest you trying it. My third party cables cost £15 vs £89 for the official one, it's a big difference if it doesn't really make any improvement. 

The official cable had been unavailable for quite some time, but now appears to be available on Oculus store for delivery to my region again (UK) 

Haven't tried any yet as my Quest just now got its processing information for shipping, but I hear a lot of issues with 3rd party cables of them straight up just not connecting at all to the Oculus software/hardware and i'd rather just jump in with no issues honestly but if there are any good verified cords that dont degrade the playing experience and has been tested by multiple people i'd interested in hearing about it.