cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do New Oculus Shipments From China Pose Health Risks Due to Coronavirus?

treyzter
Honored Guest
Oculus Rift S's and Quests have been sold out everywhere. I was on Best Buy's recently and saw that they had a small restock. Quickly ordered one and is expected to be ready for pickup in a little over a week. I have done a good bit of research of the virus to better educate myself and to prevent any sickness. Though after research, I am still slightly confused. This official infographic (shown below) from WHO's official website implies that there is a 0% chance of contracting the new virus.

From the CDC's official transcript of 2019 Corona Virus Update, Dr. Nancy Messonnier stated:
"We don’t know for sure if this virus will behave in the same way as far as MERS, we use information from those coronaviruses to guide us.  In general, because of the poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, that’s in the range of hours, there’s likely a very, very, very low if any risk of spread from products or packaging that is shipped over a period of days or weeks in ambient the temperatures."

From the CDC's official FAQ:
Q: "Am I at risk for COVID-19 from a package or products shipping from China?"
A: ... Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of COVID-19 in the United States associated with imported goods... "

These answers from Dr. Messonnier and the CDC imply that it is not a 0% chance of contracting the virus.

This leads me to some points:
  • temperatures/climate
  • shipment period
Temperature/Climate:
If research suggests that the virus doesn't survive long in hot temperatures, what does this mean currently since we are in the middle of winter? Surely this means that if a package is contaminated then it will survive longer in colder temperatures?

Shipment Period:
What if a package is delivered from China in less than 9 days? I say 9 days because that's how long The Journal of Hospital Infection states the virus can live up to on inanimate objects/surfaces. If packages are delivered fast, is there more of a risk?

In general, it seems that WHO and the CDC are basing all this information from previous Corona Viruses like SARS and MERS and not from actual research from the new COVID-19 from what I can tell. This worries me because they are using keywords like "likely" which aren't very definitive.

Sorry for the long post, I am just a hypochondriac and usually worry too much. With all that being said, should I be worried at all with this Oculus Rift S being delivered to Best Buy? If risks are not at 0%, is it responsible for Oculus to continue shipments during this whole situation?
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you're worried about it just quarantine it in your house by not touching it for a couple of weeks and wash your hands immediately after you touch the box.

Richooal
Consultant
I heard that, because they can't ship them, they're giving them to quarantined people and handing them out to hospitals to keep the sick people occupied.

These headsets will eventually become the "refurbished" replacement headsets for us (after things settle down). Don't worry, they'll be given a good wipe with a damp cloth before resale.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

treyzter
Honored Guest

Richooal said:

because they can't ship them

What do you mean they can't ship them? I ordered one and is being shipped to Best Buy.

Richooal said:

These headsets will eventually become the "refurbished" replacement headsets for us (after things settle down). Don't worry, they'll be given a good wipe with a damp cloth before resale.

But I ordered the Oculus Rift S new.

snowdog said:

If you're worried about it just quarantine it in your house by not touching it for a couple of weeks and wash your hands immediately after you touch the box.

Mine came with a mask on so I know it’s healthy and I can use it immediately.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Richooal
Consultant

treyzter said:

Richooal said:

What do you mean they can't ship them? I ordered one and is being shipped to Best Buy.

Richooal said:

You must have ordered the one that doesn't include the free "sense of humour" package.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Safest way to be sure is place your new quest or S into a boiling pot of water for 6 hours, then removes, drain water and place into the freezer for 24 hours, that way you will be guaranteed that it will be safe.

No need to thank me.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Oculus, after reading and following instructions on how to disinfect my Rift S on your official forums the Rift S is now frozen on my face.

Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive, just as soon as the ice starts to melt.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I don't think any new product is coming out of China right now. The small amounts of stock that show up at Amazon or Best Buy are probably items that have been sitting in a container ship, customs depot, or warehouse somewhere.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

treyzter
Honored Guest

Richooal said:

treyzter said:

Richooal said:

Richooal said:

You must have ordered the one that doesn't include the free "sense of humour" package.

Oh sorry. The whole "tone doesn't carry over to text" thing was what confused me. After all, them stocking up on the Oculus isn't that far fetched considering Ring Fit Adventure was stocked up by Chinese buyers reselling to those who are stuck at home not exercising.