cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting 4K Resolution

iCreateVR
Honored Guest
Hi.

Among other things, we create Archviz VR's for our clients (we give them both images & video versions) and have gotten used to supplying reduced quality VR experiences to our clients because the Go can't handle 4096x4096 H264 videos.

We always have to render them out as 3980x3980.  Otherwise we just get a green screen.  A couple of days ago I tried H265... and wow, it could handle 4096x4096 and the quality of the video was just as good as the still images we also put on the headsets.

We were set... goodbye H264.

However, I then found that the headset was getting very warm.... warmer than usual and then the video froze (the audio continued).  It froze, and kept freezing at the same point.  

In the video I've made I've added some animated elements.  It seems the Go can't handle this with H265.

However, H264 works fine..... but only at a reduced quality.

I've read that H265 is the same as H264 quality wise but the files are smaller.

Can someone please, for the love of God, tell me how I can get our 4096x4096 videos to work on the Go with H264?

I can give you any extra info you need.

Many thanks
1 REPLY 1

kojack
MVP
MVP
There's some interesting info in a blog post by Carmack here: https://developer.oculus.com/blog/techniques-for-improved-vr-video-w-john-carmack/

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2