cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft hasn't given up on VR

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Well this is a relief given I own a HP Reverb. I also know some people thought that Microsoft had given up on VR and that's why I'm putting up this link.

https://www.roadtovr.com/microsoft-not-giving-up-on-windows-vr-wmr-windows-mixed-reality/
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's good to hear. Widespread mainstream gamer adoption is dependent on Microsoft bringing VR to their console at some point. That's when we'll start seeing much more big name titles coming to VR. 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Did MS ever say they had "given-up" on VR or was this just a general sentiment banded about by non Microsoft people?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Did MS ever say they had "given-up" on VR or was this just a general sentiment banded about by non Microsoft people?

I think it was banded about by people because Microsoft went quiet on VR for a while and some of the WMR headsets stopped being sold. Maybe the next Samsung headset will still be WMR, but with better controllers and more camera's. I'm pleased that Microsoft has said they will speak more about VR when the time is right.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

MS said similar positive things about their Windows smartphones.  Then proceeded to axe them, lol!  Much as I dislike WMR, esp. the WMR MS store, I do hope that they continue to provide support for current Reverb and Odyssey + WMR users.  Given the % user decline it's kinda hard to believe that HP and Samsung are going to invest more in WMR unless MS shows more commitment (and development $'s) for consumer VR.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Since Microsoft didn't make the decision to start their VR investments with a deficit, the way Facebook and HTC did, it seems that many labeled MS as someone who doesn't care about VR or is going to abandon VR after the first wave of WMR.
What's interesting is that Apple is the single most overly cautious organization when it comes to VR; having next to zero VR investment whatsoever. Microsoft is a direct competitor of Apple, yet Microsoft has invested in and released both software and hardware products around VR. Including upgrading one of their biggest IP's, SharePoint, to have VR Support.
Something to consider:
  • When compared to Apple, Microsoft is taking big leaps in VR.
  • When compared to Facebook/Oculus, HTC, or Valve... MS looks like they don't care about VR.
It's all a matter of perspective.
Another problem that I see is that people still equate VR with Gaming. Because of this, the advancements that Microsoft is making with both AR and VR in the Military and Enterprise sectors are ignored.
Overall, I would say that the notion that MS is giving up on VR is based on ignorance of the VR industry itself and ignorance of Microsoft's overall VR/AR goals and contributions.
(btw, I'm not saying that anyone int his community is ignorant; this is just a general high-level sentiment)

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Zen, I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said mate.  Saying MS will exit VR is utter nonsense.

However, based on the very lackluster results with WMR over the past 2.5 years I think it’s fair to voice opinions as to whether or not MS (and wmr headset makers) will continue to support this consumer VR system.

Obviously, all based on ignorant speculation, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
If Microsoft continue to ignore VR for their consoles then VR gaming won't take off the way it should. If it wasn't for Oculus, Sony, Valve, HTC and Bethesda we wouldn't have a great deal of decent games to play.

Microsoft need to get their arses in gear imo and bring VR to the NextBox.

Once they do that the world will be our lobster.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Good point @snowdog

Although I will say that I'm perfectly okay with VR gaming not taking off, because VR is not a gaming platform and treating it as such is a great way to ensure that VR will not take off as a multi-platform Industry.

Microsoft is doing the right thing (imo) by focusing in Military and Enterprise for VR.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
I dont trust MS. They constantly make good and shit products. Its like running the gauntlet with them. That is why I am getting a ps5