Governments across the Globe are in Quarantine, so I figured that this community could use a thread to discuss our first-hand experience of its impact. As a side note, I never would have guessed that a global pandemic would be the primary driver to getting VR more mainstream!
For me, I had taken a long break from VR. I have maybe engaged in VR for 1 hour ever 2-3 weeks. It's been that way for nearly 6 months now. Mostly because I feel that I've experienced so much since I first acquired my Rift in 2016; I got to the point that everything (even new AAA titles) started to feel like 'more of the same.' This is something that has impacted me before. For example, I began gaming with the Atari 2600 as a kid, moved on to NES, SNES, Sega, and eventually PC Gaming. But I took a very long break from gaming (over 5 years) because I hit a point where everything on every gaming platform felt like a regurgitation of something I've done before.
However, now that I'm stuck home for at least 2 weeks during quarantine... it's time to jump back on to the fray!
- What games/experiences will you be engaging in with VR?
- What non-VR activities will be occupying your time?
- Are you one of the people who can work from home during quarantine? Or is this pandemic negatively impacting your job?
- Are you hoarding food and toilet paper?
I'll answer first:
- I will be (finally) completing SkyrimVR. Before I took my VR "break," I had already completed both DLC's in SkyrimVR, and I'm already near the end of the main quest. After that, I will be loading up Stormland.
- I'm playing through Divinity Original Sin for the first time, in preparation for the upcoming release of Baldur's Gate 3. Beyond software, I will be doing lots of exercise.. Gotta keep up the conditioning!
- Since I'm a software engineer who has been working from home primarily for at least the past 10 years, this quarantine will be... more of the same.
- I'm a non-hoarder, but wondering if I will regret it.