New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Troubles with Darkness in VR

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,865 Valuable Player
edited March 19 in General
Just saw this interesting short movie (Vimeo) using Oculus Video - and came to think that the problems shown are very close to problems with darkness when designing a VR game or app that needs to look great using both oled and lcd hmds:

If you want to use deep blacks - like in Gloomy Eyes - you completely ruin the lcd experience. Maybe it's easier to design for lcd hmds as it'll still look great with oled, but then you have to give up the deep blacks... Probably not an easy choice!
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,865 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    Now, maybe some may think "why does he mention black levels and darkness - I've got Rift-S and black levels are fine". But they're not, earlier measurements found that Index had slightly better blacks than Rift-S, but in the real world it's the same due to both hmds using lcd screens. 

This post (posted yesterday) totally nails the problem of poor black levels using lcd hmds - there's absolutely nothing wrong with this dude's Index, it's just the problem of using lcd hmds (and why you need CV1 or Quest Link for some games and apps):

Atrocious Black Levels with Index

I am unsure if it's just my Index LCD panel in particular but the black levels on it are so so so bad it's immersion breaking for me. I am aware that LCD doesn't produce high quality black levels like OLED does on other HMDs, however research suggests that the Index should have a good representation of black levels nonetheless. Sadly, black levels for me look very bright and have a slight blue tint at the same time. It's so grey in fact that I can barely make out any contrast in dark scenes. I can't even get used to it even if I wanted to.

Supposedly there is a color calibration issue for some people and verifying the Steam VR files should fix that apparently - however I tried that already and nothing has changed.

Could there be some sort of issue I am having or is it really just that bad? I can't imagine bright grey to be a good representation of black.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/flgizd/atrocious_black_levels_with_index/

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"