New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Leak Reveals New OculusVR Standalone Prototype!

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
edited March 19 in General

Facebook Leaks Codename For ‘Del Mar’ Standalone Headset With ‘Jedi Controller’

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-del-mar-quest-2/

Will there be a CV2 for the Rift also in the works? Or is Link the solution?
P6ftmuw.jpg
** New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,187 Valuable Player
    Interesting.
    Personally I don't think we will see a CV2.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,137 Volunteer Moderator
    If we think about "jedi", how do they relate to input devices?
    - Jedi perform force powers using a wave of their hand, which could indicate this is a hand tracking device.
    - Jedi use a light saber, so it could be a physical controller.

Facebook bought Ctrl-labs, a company that developed a wristband that turns impulses in your arm's nerves into input, which sounds like the former option.

Then again, Facebook also own Beat Games. So... maybe the Del Mar is a headset made for Beat Saber with a light saber shaped controller. :):)
    I mean it's not that crazy, considering this exists: https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/jedichallenges

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    kojack said:

Yes was wondering about this, could this be OculusVR's answer to the Lenovo SW system [image]?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Yeah, I was mostly joking but also a little serious. Beat Saber is such a massive hit for VR and Facebook owns it, having a controller called Jedi seems a little too coincidental.
    They did make that Rock Band VR adapter as part of the Touch bundle, a custom addon for a single game.

Urgh, I hope they aren't going to make something like a Vive wand!

Others have suggested that maybe the name Del Mar is hinting at AR. But that seems like a stretch.

Hmm, another wild guess: maybe the controller is called Jedi because it's using a different tracking system. This might be electro-magnetic, so tracking would be like feeling a disturbance in the force.

Or it might end up just being the Go 2 and Jedi is the name for the new remote. :)

kojack said:
    Others have suggested that maybe the name Del Mar is hinting at AR. But that seems like a stretch.

I have heard the AR suggestions - or should that be MR?
    I would not be surprised to see the combination of the Quest and the Facebook AR headset in a single package. It has been rumored for some time that FB was ready to launch their platform.

To see some one mention RockBandVR on this forum is amazing after so long and all the problems. Well done. Regarding this being a Go 2... nah.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    At work we keep the touch controllers in the original box. That damn adapter always gets in the way every time I try to close the lid (it's little cardboard holder is torn and it doesn't stay in it) so I can never forget the useless thing! :)

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,888 Valuable Player
    edited March 20
    kevinw729 said:
    kojack said:

Yes was wondering about this, could this be OculusVR's answer to the Lenovo SW system [image]?

Probably more like  :D

Image result for vr playstation controllers

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,952 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    If we think about "jedi", how do they relate to input devices?
    - Jedi perform force powers using a wave of their hand, which could indicate this is a hand tracking device.

Facebook bought Ctrl-labs, a company that developed a wristband that turns impulses in your arm's nerves into input, which sounds like the former option.

Then again, Facebook also own Beat Games. So... maybe the Del Mar is a headset made for Beat Saber with a light saber shaped controller. :):)
    I mean it's not that crazy, considering this exists: https://www.lenovo.com/au/en/jedichallenges

100% - why would they not have hand tracking in future HMDs?  

Excited, I am    B)
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,312 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    What if Jedi is not linked to Star Wars and Disney but is an acronym? OK points for the most imaginative acronym theory :)

Johnson
    Erectile
    Dedicated
    Input

I am even more excited now :)
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 284
    Nexus 6
    edited March 25
    @kevinw729 said:
    I would not be surprised to see the combination of the Quest and the Facebook AR headset in a single package. It has been rumored for some time that FB was ready to launch their platform.
    :) Would be great to have both VR+AR with standalong.
    But it should include high resolution color camera (even single one like in smartphones).
    That will help to make high detiled 3D scans of surrounding place or object.
    Just imagine you are in VR/AR and could switch from real room to 3D scan of that same room. But you could walk around and come close to 3D glitches so HD  camera will take more real world photos from that place and fix 3D scan realtime.
    So you will actually "paint" a 3D world copy.
    That could be some historical place or nice natural cave.
    Just imagine lot's of people taking their travel "3D worlds" and posting them on the internet! :D
    Same way they do now with smartphones and built in photo camera.
    People will see how useful HMD actually is!  (same with smartphones now)

And if they include 2,3...5 HD cameras same way as they do for current smatphone..... with 10,20,30...Mpx that will make them profit next 20 years (just upgrading each year to new X Mpx and Z cameras).
    :D
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,355 Valuable Player
    We're YEARS away from seeing a VR/AR combo headset at an affordable price. The AR tech is still way too expensive and it will cost a fortune.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    We're YEARS away from seeing a VR/AR combo headset at an affordable price. The AR tech is still way too expensive and it will cost a fortune.

I would have said at the beginning of the year that we were a lot closer than you may think, but currently, gauging home much of a backlog we will be suffering for the next few months if not years, its harder to say. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,355 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    snowdog said:

I would have said at the beginning of the year that we were a lot closer than you may think, but currently, gauging home much of a backlog we will be suffering for the next few months if not years, its harder to say. 

We're really not that close. AR headset production is probably in the same state that VR headset production was 2 years before the DK1 was released.

The technology is there, but it's nowhere near cheap enough to produce a decent commercial headset at a reasonable price. Just take a look at the retail prices of the HoloLens and HoloLens 2 as a prime example. Other AR headsets are in a similar boat.

We're probably 2 years away from having a decent commercially viable AR headset, and another 2 years after that for a VR and AR combination headset.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    That is my point @snowdog - "the technology is there"!
    I was lucky enough to have a technical demo of a MR system using most of these basic principles last year, on a project that had planned to launch this year, but that has now been scuppered. I think we are close to having a system that can achieve the full VR full AR hybrid - and was impressed what it means to my sector. Sadly the price is prohibitive so I do not expect a consumer system for some two years, so possibly this meets your observation.  
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • jabjab Posts: 221
    Nexus 6
    Judging from Quest and Rift-S, I would say Oculus is much more interested in keeping the cost low then pushing new high end features.
    edited March 26
    jab said:
    Judging from Quest and Rift-S, I would say Oculus is much more interested in keeping the cost low then pushing new high end features.

Agree jab, I think it was difficult for the PCVR community to come to terms with the fact that after the management restructuring Facebook were now directing Oculus down a "cost-reduced" "feature rich" direction for their hardware. The Quest fundamentally is were Facebook sees future business, the Lenovo relationship was to keep some skin in the PCVR game. And as we have learned from Lenovo's move to support Varjo this may have been a short lived partnership. 

The consumer VR scene may not be the place anymore for expensive innovation, with the restoring of the natural and usual reality of as trickle-down from Enterprise tech into consumer, will resume.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **